Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

anyone's steering feel "notchy" or feel like it wants to stop at a certain position?

Old 03-21-2014, 07:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Default anyone's steering feel "notchy" or feel like it wants to stop at a certain position?

My cts has developed a weird issue where it feels like the steering wheel almost wants to stop turning when making a slight left turn. I noticed the power steering fluid looks like a huge **** that got sent back up the toilet, so I am going to flush/change it... but is there any other possible culprit?
Old 03-21-2014, 07:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Control arm ball joints. But before they seize, they usually give you a "memory steering" feeling wherein your wheel doesn't want to return to center.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by FuzzyLog1c
Control arm ball joints. But before they seize, they usually give you a "memory steering" feeling wherein your wheel doesn't want to return to center.
thanks mister, looks like i'm throwing ball joints in tomorrow.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by RADEoN
thanks mister, looks like i'm throwing ball joints in tomorrow.
It's been a while since you've been active on the forums. What's up? How's the V?
Old 03-21-2014, 09:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

It's been a while since you've been active on the forums. What's up? How's the V?
The mobile design won't work on my Z10, so I kinda lost interest. I'm still perm banned from cadillacforums, so I haven't even tried their site.

Nothing really, how about you?

And it's doing good. I bought a house specifically to house it.

Old 03-21-2014, 09:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My cts has developed a weird issue where it feels like the steering wheel almost wants to stop turning when making a slight left turn. I noticed the power steering fluid looks like a huge **** that got sent back up the toilet, so I am going to flush/change it... but is there any other possible culprit?
I have that same problem with my ps fluid. Even after flushing and bleeding it turns back after a few hundred miles. My ps acts weird as hell too. When I first start the car it's fine but after it warms up the pump is crazy loud and I lose power steering under 1200rpm. I have to rev out and slip the clutch to maneuver in lots -___-
Old 03-21-2014, 11:05 PM
TECH Junkie

And it's doing good. I bought a house specifically to house it.
Nice. By the way, is your grille chipping or is it just the light in that picture? The reason why I'm asking is because I plan to get my grille surround painted, and I think I'm going to ask them to clear coat it and then put a 3M Clear Shield on top of that.

If you haven't been to the Cadillac Forums for a while, you should really check out Philistine's "Pig in Slop" thread. He and I basically go through a bunch of awesome projects over the course of 40+ pages. In it, he finishes his dual pump system and Ford 8.8", and I begin working on a myriad of projects, including a Geforce 9".

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...-pig-slop.html
Old 03-22-2014, 11:17 AM
TECH Resident

Recently my PS high pressure line blew an oring twice...each time my steering got real notchy and felt weird feelings through the steering wheel as the fluid level dropped. It sounds to me that you crappy fluid maybe the culprit.
Old 03-22-2014, 11:58 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by voodoochikin04
It sounds to me that you crappy fluid maybe the culprit.
By the definition of the word, "notchy," it doesn't sound like fluid could be the culprit. Or if it is, the fluid degraded to such a poor state that it didn't provide sufficient lubrication for the rack.

In any event, I use Redline power steering fluid. It's nice.
Old 03-22-2014, 01:49 PM
TECH Resident

Fuzzy....whether its low fluid level or the fluid is so shot that it looks like actual ****.... Neither is providing proper lubrication.. When my fluid was leaking out and got low.. The steering felt notchy.. As soon as it was filled...it was perfect. From my experience...fluid was the culprit.
Old 03-22-2014, 02:05 PM
TECH Junkie

An upper-decker in somebody's power steering system... devious.
Old 03-22-2014, 02:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Nice. By the way, is your grille chipping or is it just the light in that picture? The reason why I'm asking is because I plan to get my grille surround painted, and I think I'm going to ask them to clear coat it and then put a 3M Clear Shield on top of that.

]
Man I hope you can figure something out that will stick to that damn faux chrome. I have painted mine 3 times with three different methods to no avail. Right now the coat on them came from a professional body shop when they painted my bumper cover and it is chipping. I have given up on it working and next time I paint it I'm going to figure out a way to strip off that faux chrome BS.
Old 03-22-2014, 03:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by NIKDSC5
Man I hope you can figure something out that will stick to that damn faux chrome. I have painted mine 3 times with three different methods to no avail. Right now the coat on them came from a professional body shop when they painted my bumper cover and it is chipping. I have given up on it working and next time I paint it I'm going to figure out a way to strip off that faux chrome BS.
Did you have it sandblasted and pre-painted with plastic primer?

I don't know about you guys, but I'm going to have the upper surround (the part that bolts to the hood) cut down so that it's significantly shorter in height. It's going to be about as thick as the rest of the surround and with tighter radii on the upper corners.

Last edited by FuzzyLog1c; 03-22-2014 at 03:46 PM.
Old 03-23-2014, 06:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Not sure how you would sand blast it. Or what media would be used. The underlying plastic is very weak and would easily be damaged with blasting. I'm not expert at blasting, but I know I'm not going to try it in my blast cabinet.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: anyone's steering feel "notchy" or feel like it wants to stop at a certain position?