Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Re-coloring V badges

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 08:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re-coloring V badges

Anybody restore their V badges? The ones on my '05 are pretty faded. A lot online posts about using Testors model paint. I'm curious how this holds up to sunlight and if it needs a clear over it.
Old 04-12-2014, 08:44 PM
On The Tree

I haven't tried, but I have the same problem. OEM replacements are like $63/each I believe. At that price I was wondering if I could find a local airbrush artist to paint them. I don't know of anyone local that does custom air brush work, but I've seen a lot of amazing stuff online.
Old 04-12-2014, 09:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Andringa
I haven't tried, but I have the same problem. OEM replacements are like $63/each I believe. At that price I was wondering if I could find a local airbrush artist to paint them. I don't know of anyone local that does custom air brush work, but I've seen a lot of amazing stuff online.
I bought a eBay aftermarket V badge for $5. It's pretty nice, but it's like 2/3 scale.
Old 04-12-2014, 10:05 PM
On The Tree

Yeah I saw a discussion about those on either here or CF, and I'd be all over it if they were the same size. What's your opinion on quality? Do you think they will hold up over time?
Old 04-12-2014, 10:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Andringa
Yeah I saw a discussion about those on either here or CF, and I'd be all over it if they were the same size. What's your opinion on quality? Do you think they will hold up over time?
They look nice, but hard to say how they'll hold up. I've seen nice looking Chinese plating fail in 1 winter.
Old 04-12-2014, 10:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

Add me to the list, too. I've considered doing the fake CF overlays over the flag, but I think I prefer the colors. I'd love to find a way to make them look like they should!
Old 04-13-2014, 12:38 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put the vinyl overlays on my V badges. I prefer the colors, but the carbon print looks significantly better than the faded flags. I covered the rear caddy emblem too, but chose to pony up the cash for an OEM grill emblem because it's so visible.
Old 04-13-2014, 02:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tried getting ahold of that 8th day place to see if they would do some color overlays. It would probably be a popular option, but they seem to suck at communication. They never responded.

I replaced my trunk emblem, and actually bought two more to do the sides, but I didn't feel like fooling with it. I ended up using some red lens tape to cover the red, which was most faded. That worked really well. Just cut a small piece, put it on and trim with a razor knife. It's transparent, so it's really easy to trim just right.

That will get you 75% of the way there, as the red fades worst. I'm going to do the yellow at some point, but it isn't too bad. The blue is fine.
Old 04-13-2014, 03:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i was going to just debadge mine but wound up ordering new OEM emblems because my car had been recleared at some point and now i have a slight ridge where the emblems were (they just taped them up) so now i have no choice but to replace them....oh well.

Quick Reply: Re-coloring V badges