Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Noise AFTER bushings???

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 11:00 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noise AFTER bushings???

So I figure I've been pressing my luck with countless 40-50 mph burnouts on all stock rear setup. The rear has been perfectly quiet with the exception of the "clunk" (diff bushing). So yesterday I finally replaced the cradle bushings, diff bushing, and trans mount with Revshift and Creative Steel parts. The diff bushing was toast and just fell right out, so needless to say the clunk is fixed. The problem is now I am getting horrible whining from the rear. The noise dramatically changes tone with acceleration / deceleration. I don't think it's the diff though, as it has never made any noise whatsoever. Anyone else experience this after bushings? I'm thinking maybe the drive shaft. When I pulled the drive shaft rear CV a couple of the ball bearings fell out so I pulled them all and cleaned, re-greased them. Oh yeah, I do know all about the 8.8 fix all solution...it's coming eventually.
Old 04-19-2014, 11:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

combo of the rear cradle bushings and the diff bushing. you're not the first to report on it. There's a reason those cradle bushings are rubber from the factory.
Old 04-19-2014, 11:30 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by MN_V
combo of the rear cradle bushings and the diff bushing. you're not the first to report on it. There's a reason those cradle bushings are rubber from the factory.
Figured the reason they were rubber from the factory is because Cadillac obviously did not put much consideration into the rear of the V, as it's almost identical to the regular CTS.
Old 04-19-2014, 12:40 PM
Teching In

What hardness did you go for with the differential bushing? The 80A is a softer poly bushing which will transmit a small amount of noise over the stock rubber unit, however, the 95A (race) version will DEFINITELY cause an increase in noise. This is a result of the bushing being harder and transferring gear whine directly into the cabin.
Old 04-19-2014, 12:48 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I noticed no increase in cabin noise after installing RS blue rear cradle,trailing arm, and dif bushings with a CS dif block. My drive shaft carrier bearing makes quite a whine, but that's easily identifiable and not easily confused with rear end noises.

Your rear driveshaft CV joint worries me that bearings just fell out. Were the races scored? I don't know anything about CV joints, but it's safe to say bearings should never fall out on their own.

Last edited by Fweasel; 04-19-2014 at 01:39 PM.
Old 04-19-2014, 01:00 PM
Staging Lane

I went with all red 95a. The bearings and races appeared fine but I'm not too familiar with it either so...
Old 04-19-2014, 01:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

jkel1124 isn't the first one to mention increased noise with the Creative Steel subframe bushings. I'm not sure if he's just sensitive, or if there's really something amiss. The primary sound transmission path is:

- From the differential ring and pinion gear to the front differential bushing
- From the front differential bushing to the subframe
- From the subframe to the subframe bushings
- From the subframe bushings to the body of the car

The only way that CS's design could be causing this kind of problem is if their oversized metal core and flange rings are creating a sound short.

Last edited by FuzzyLog1c; 04-19-2014 at 01:28 PM.
Old 04-19-2014, 02:28 PM
On The Tree

I noticed the same when I replaced mine.
Old 04-19-2014, 02:46 PM
Staging Lane

Well I can tell you that I'm not too sensitive. It's not really a dd so I didn't think the 95a's would really bother me. If this is normal then an 8.8 will be coming sooner than later and I can just hope it will somehow eliminate all this obnoxious sound.
Old 04-19-2014, 03:20 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by FuzzyLog1c
jkel1124 isn't the first one to mention increased noise with the Creative Steel subframe bushings. I'm not sure if he's just sensitive, or if there's really something amiss. The primary sound transmission path is:

- From the differential ring and pinion gear to the front differential bushing
- From the front differential bushing to the subframe
- From the subframe to the subframe bushings
- From the subframe bushings to the body of the car

The only way that CS's design could be causing this kind of problem is if their oversized metal core and flange rings are creating a sound short.
I didn't see in the first post where the OP designated that he had our cradle bushings. Just that he used a combination of Creative Steel and Revshift parts.
Our oversized metal cores do not touch the flange rings that are cast in the polyurethane. There is 3/8" of poly between the two. No short circuit of sound would be possible. The biggest source of sound transmission that I can see in this scenario is the 95A diff bushing. I don't recommend the red diff bushings for a daily driver. Sometimes they get ordered off of the website without questions of suitability being asked.

Last edited by Creative Steel; 07-28-2014 at 10:41 AM.
Old 04-19-2014, 03:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Creative Steel
I didn't see in the first post where the OP designated that he had our cradle bushings. Just that he used a combination of Creative Steel and Revshift parts.
Our oversized metal cores do not touch the flange rings that are cast in the polyurethane. There is 3/8" of poly between the two. No short circuit of sound would be possible. The biggest source of sound transmission that I can see in this scenario is the 95A diff bushing. I don't recommend the red diff bushings for a daily driver. Sometimes they get ordered off of the website with questions of suitability being asked.
In that case, he's probably just a little sensitive to the sound. It may not be entirely him, though--there's probably a correlation between these noise complaints and the presence (or lack thereof) of entry-level, bolt-on mods that make the car a little louder: headers, catback, and so forth.
Old 04-19-2014, 08:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Can't wait to put my RevShift 75D Cradle bushings in ASAP!!!!
Old 04-19-2014, 08:46 PM
Staging Lane

Well even though not a dd I've always enjoyed the nice drive ability of my V. My setup sounds and drives almost like stock until you get on it...then whole other beast. Now the rear noise almost covers the whine of the supercharger at times. I'll just have to make due with the radio volume mod for a while.
Old 07-27-2014, 01:27 AM
Staging Lane

I hate to leave a thread undone. The bulk of the problem ended up being a bad driveshaft cv so I replaced it. Still had some rear end whine so I installed my spare srx diff with 3.91s and added some 1000hp dss axles. Nice and quiet again. There are some noticeable vibrations from the 95a bushings that are expected but now she's more like a luxury sedan again.
Old 07-27-2014, 08:05 AM
CTS-V Shifter Sales

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for the follow up. I hate when you search something and the thread does without the final results.
Old 07-27-2014, 12:14 PM
Teching In

My rear end whine is really bad (4th gen). I could live with it when i just had the UUC Diff bushing installed but now with the Rev shift 95A subframe bushings it is horrible. What was wrong with your drive shaft? I know some bearings fell out but is there something I can check on mine. I am considering pulling my diff this winter to either get the backlash adjusted or find a replacement.
Old 07-27-2014, 01:22 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by cts-v 07ct
My rear end whine is really bad (4th gen). I could live with it when i just had the UUC Diff bushing installed but now with the Rev shift 95A subframe bushings it is horrible. What was wrong with your drive shaft? I know some bearings fell out but is there something I can check on mine. I am considering pulling my diff this winter to either get the backlash adjusted or find a replacement.
The driveshaft CV was cracked and warped. The diff I just replaced was used in my 500rwhp V for almost 3 years, and also came from an SRX. These diffs are very cheap and easy to come by.
Old 07-27-2014, 05:53 PM
On The Tree

From what I've read (and as others have said here), diff bushing and cradle bushings together can be pretty noisy. I've got SW cradle bushings with a stock diff bushing. You can definately hear more diff whine, but it is liveable.

For what it's worth, I did the SW bushings when the diff was first installed. 60k plus hard miles later, the diff bushing still looks brand new. I think cradle movement really accelerates the demise of the diff bushing.
Old 07-28-2014, 12:44 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

SW cradle bushings?
Old 07-28-2014, 09:33 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 54inches
SW cradle bushings?
Yeah, the Specter Werkes derlin inserts.

Quick Reply: Noise AFTER bushings???