Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

5 lug conversion with Z06 Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 05:21 AM
Naf
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Default 5 lug conversion with Z06 Wheels

I have been playing with this idea in my mind, and i am already in debt over this car.

Where can i find SKF BAR-5049C which are supposedly the race version of wheel hubs for our car, is there a rear version as well or just need four of the mentioned hubs.

I will then use the new CTS-v 2-pc front rotors, slotted so i can ease mind about racing.

The rear have me stompped as i would like to keep my 2-pc theme, though the added weight wont be killer in my case...

I am gonna use the rear 19x10 Z06 wheels all around the car so i can run 305s all around the car as well for tire rotaion. May also go with 19x12 in the rear for 325s...

Lookin on ebay for the wheels is difficult, tryin to stay away from knockoffs, replicas, etc. If OEM can do 200mph, then why not use it on my lightened V..

Your thoughts and help is appreciated as always...
Old 04-29-2014, 06:02 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You doing some flares to clear that plan?
Old 04-29-2014, 08:04 AM
Naf
TECH Fanatic

I am able to run 19x10.5 up front already due to spindle upgrade, the rear needs a little work as it now has 19x10.5
Old 04-29-2014, 08:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

So after completing the spindle swap, did you have it aligned? Thanks.
Old 04-29-2014, 09:45 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Naf

I am gonna use the rear 19x10 Z06 wheels all around the car so i can run 305s all around the car as well for tire rotaion. May also go with 19x12 in the rear for 325s...

Originally Posted by Naf
I am able to run 19x10.5 up front already due to spindle upgrade, the rear needs a little work as it now has 19x10.5
PLEASE... PLEASE, list all of your current and future modifications that are required to run the tires and wheels listed above. A "Ball Park" dollar figure you plan to spend would be helpful too.

This request is not for me, I know exactly what would or will be required to put those monster meats on a V1. Front and Rear.

This request is a hopeful attempt to minimize all of the questions and confusion the listing of those tire sizes in the previous post will cause. For years to come guys will be reading that "it's been done before" and will think they can do it on their car. Unknowing that thousands of dollars and weeks worth of time were spent in order to pull off the install.

Naf, tell these guys how "extreme" you are with your car. Tell these guys that these tires aren't going to work for the Normal Joe.
Old 04-29-2014, 10:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ this... People think you can just toss em on and then just roll the fenders. Its ridiculous. Lol. Racing is one thing, grabbing 305s for a daily takes a lot of work.
Old 04-29-2014, 10:24 AM
TECH Addict

Cs, Naf and fuzzylogic have been working on swapping sts spindles on the v1 to achieve the clearance needed up front to run 305s and nafs post above is the first one giving any clue thst it was up and running and successful. thats why i asked if he was able to get it aligned.

I have forwarded you links to these threads several times hoping to convince you to build a tubular lca to accommodate this swap because from what I know, it would be about all it takes to make this happen along with maybe a shorter outer tie rod end and sway bar links.
Old 04-29-2014, 10:30 AM
TECH Resident

We all know how extreme naf is. He is so extreme he took a grinder to all the welds to save wieght
Old 04-29-2014, 06:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ls1247
I have forwarded you links to these threads several times hoping to convince you to build a tubular lca to accommodate this swap because from what I know, it would be about all it takes to make this happen along with maybe a shorter outer tie rod end and sway bar links.
A lower control arm is not necessary. What's needed is a different spindle. I should have a full writeup available on the VSeriesForums in a few weeks. My machinist and I are working on the modifications to the rear right now, but once we're done, I should be able to start writing up my Geforce 9" installation and the rest of that stuff.
Old 04-29-2014, 06:06 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by FuzzyLog1c
A lower control arm is not necessary. What's needed is a different spindle. I should have a full writeup available on the VSeriesForums in a few weeks. My machinist and I are working on the modifications to the rear right now, but once we're done, I should be able to start writing up my Geforce 9" installation and the rest of that stuff.
i wouldn't think building a spindle would be as easy as building a control arm but i'm no engineer.

Waiting for results because big tires are cool......thanks!

btw...a search for vseriesforums has yielded squat for me...look forward to it.
Old 04-30-2014, 12:30 AM
Naf
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by serik21
We all know how extreme naf is. He is so extreme he took a grinder to all the welds to save wieght
For the record it was welding splatter. Not the welds...

Originally Posted by Creative Steel
PLEASE... PLEASE, list all of your current and future modifications that are required to run the tires and wheels listed above. A "Ball Park" dollar figure you plan to spend would be helpful too.

This request is not for me, I know exactly what would or will be required to put those monster meats on a V1. Front and Rear.

This request is a hopeful attempt to minimize all of the questions and confusion the listing of those tire sizes in the previous post will cause. For years to come guys will be reading that "it's been done before" and will think they can do it on their car. Unknowing that thousands of dollars and weeks worth of time were spent in order to pull off the install.

Naf, tell these guys how "extreme" you are with your car. Tell these guys that these tires aren't going to work for the Normal Joe.
Lets start from the beginning

Car new $42,000

GMPP HC heads
FAST 90
Ported 90mm TB
1 3/4 stainless work headers
3" Stainless works catback
GT11 Cam
Valve springs
Yella terra 1.7 rockers
Ls7 Flywheel
LPE CAI
Specter heat extraction hood Fiberglass
Someone's attempt to offer a 8 piston caliper and 2-pc 14" rotors
HRE C20 Wheels 18x8.5 and 18x9.5
Specter sotck CF front fenders
GMPP diff cooler
GMPP Trannu cooler
Braille B128L
Ti lug nuts
GMPP extended lugs
Total thus far for parts $30,000

Blew my stock engine on the track

415ci made to my specs
CF NAF Hood
1" wider CF Fenders
Fab work to pull the rear fender out by 1"
Specter CF doors with side impact protection
CF adjustable lower air splitter
RPM tranny stage 5
RPM stock diff rebuild
RPM 3.42 diff rebuild
HRE C21 18x9.5 19x10.5
Racing brake 2-pc rotors (will sell soon)
V2 yellow calipers
Kateck remote clutch bleeder
V2 clutch with Alu flywheel
CCW 140 wheels
Team Dynamic 18x9 wheels silver
Specter Rear decklid x2 (one for street, one for track with APR rear spoiler)
Corsa Ti catback
custom resonator with butterfly vlaves for more lowend backpressure
STS front spindle upgrade
DEI gold foil
Sparco racing seats
Setrab oil cooler
Drysump oil tank
ARE Spintric
Upgrade to GMPP tranny cooler
Braille Lithium ML30c relocated to the rear
SKF wheel hubs
GMPP wheel lugs
Ti lug nuts
Samco Hose upgrade

Total thus far for parts and labor $100,000

Future upgrades include

5 lug upgrade (though i may just redrill the V2 front rotors and buy baer's 2-pc rear rotors)
CF under car paneling with side diffuser (bought them cheap from Specter just before they closed their doors)
Rear Diffuser

Total of parts on hand $10,000

This is not for the faint of heart. it would have been cheaper for me to wait and buy an Aston Martin V12 Vantage...

Total Money spent $182,000

In order to run 305 up front and 325 in the rear you need the sts front spindle upgrade, at least 1" wider front fenders, and to run 325 in the rear you need 2-3" wider rear fenders. Both in 19" dia for the 18 will be too tight up front. and having 19 in the front and 18 in the rear will look silly

My total costs do not include tires which i have 5 sets of.. Good year F1, Toyo R888 x2, Hankook RS-3, Michlin Sports Cup
Old 04-30-2014, 12:57 AM
Naf
TECH Fanatic

Cs, Naf and fuzzylogic have been working on swapping sts spindles on the v1 to achieve the clearance needed up front to run 305s and nafs post above is the first one giving any clue thst it was up and running and successful. thats why i asked if he was able to get it aligned.

I just finished my resonating muffler, and installin the drysump tank.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/69163769@N07/14072027264/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/69163769@N07/13884952000/
Old 04-30-2014, 01:47 AM
Naf
TECH Fanatic

Had my tea and read all my emails..

Two issues

The wheels i want in 19x10 only come in silver, the 19x12 come in satin black
The other is i cant find 14" rear 2-pc rotors...

I am not eager to strip and paint a wheel for it will need constant attention.

I could redrill my rear rotors to fit a 5-lug and just look for new slotted discs, but that will be near impossible for brembo is 10 bolts while i have 12 from hat to rotor. Baer has 12 but the ID is different.

Wonder if the GTO rear discs will fit, they are also 5x120 spread, but its the offset that is a problem..

Front Racing hubs $900, rear Z06 hubs $300
GM Brembo smooth rotors $700 (lookin for slotted)
Rear TBA
Wheels TBA
Tires $2500 (for just street, racing tires not bought yet)
Old 04-30-2014, 09:22 AM
FormerVendor

Naf...Thank You Sir. That list of parts and information was a bit above and beyond what I was hoping for.

That should put to rest of what is required to put 305's (or 325's) on the back of a V1. Cubic Money and the car off the road for months.

Thanks Again.
Old 04-30-2014, 10:23 AM
TECH Addict

This raises more questions than giving answers in my book but i guess i'll be shelving this conversation until we get fuzzylogic's detailed dissertation on the results of his spindle swap.
Old 04-30-2014, 11:52 PM
Naf
TECH Fanatic

Well ur gonna have to wait a really really long time, fuzzy was banned recently...

So it looks like ur all stuck with me...

Seein all my expenditures, i have a small request. I will be sellin a lot of my parts new, used, and forgotten...once i hit my magic number i will go forth with the upgrade...

Short list
new skf racing hubs 6lug
Hre wheels
Team dynamic wheels silver
Ccw wheels
Cf front fenders
Oem set of calipers cheap
Sets of racing rotors
Drilled rotors for daily driver street but no track
Coated Headers
Wet drysump kits
Etc

Lookin forward to all ur help. Prices will be affordable and i will go out of my way to try to get u the best shippin options...
Old 05-01-2014, 06:53 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Naf
Well ur gonna have to wait a really really long time, fuzzy was banned recently...

Seein all my expenditures, i have a small request. I will be sellin a lot of my parts new, used, and forgotten...once i hit my magic number i will go forth with the upgrade...

Short list
new skf racing hubs 6lug
Hre wheels
Ccw wheels
Cf front fenders
Sets of racing rotors
Coated Headers
Wet drysump kits
Etc

Lookin forward to all ur help. Prices will be affordable and i will go out of my way to try to get u the best shippin options...
Price and brand of headers thank you
Old 05-01-2014, 07:55 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Naf

Short list
new skf racing hubs 6lug
Hre wheels
Ccw wheels
Cf front fenders
Sets of racing rotors
Coated Headers
Wet drysump kits
Etc

I think Fuzzy got banned for a week but he's been documenting his spindle progress step-by-step here: Link

So anyways, looking forward to your "long list" of parts for sale.
Old 05-01-2014, 08:32 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by philistine
I think Fuzzy got banned for a week but he's been documenting his spindle progress step-by-step here: Link

So anyways, looking forward to your "long list" of parts for sale.
Thanks for the link!

Naf, I will read between the lines here and say you've got the spindles on the car and have driven it. How did it do at the alignment shop? Did the camber fall within factory specs? Did you wind up with more positive caster like you expected? Did you change tie-rods? Sway bar links????

Thanks
Old 05-02-2014, 12:29 AM
Naf
TECH Fanatic

On the car yes, driven it no...i just finished my exhaust and will install the dry sump tank on sunday.

I did find my digital protractor so i will measure the negative camber

I may have to shorten the tie rods. I used a swaybar link from ebay. Will get u more info on sunday.

Thanks for the link!

Naf, I will read between the lines here and say you've got the spindles on the car and have driven it. How did it do at the alignment shop? Did the camber fall within factory specs? Did you wind up with more positive caster like you expected? Did you change tie-rods? Sway bar links????

Thanks

Quick Reply: 5 lug conversion with Z06 Wheels