Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Fuel pressure regulator help

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 12:10 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel pressure regulator help

Installed a dw300 pump when I done my motor,clutch and all. Did some Internet research and some said to run a corvette fuel filter with built in regulator that regulates at 58psi so that's what I ordered. Well the discharge side of the stock filter on these cars are threaded, whereas the corvette filter is standard push lock style. Got an Autometer gauge mounted directly to my ls2 rails, and I'm getting 70psi at idle. How are u guys regulating the fuel pressure? Need to figure out how to make this corvette filter work or get an external regulator here ASAP. Inputs?
Old 05-12-2014, 12:25 AM
TECH Regular

our FP regulator is in tank.. that filter will not work. you will not be able to regulate unless you remove the in tank FPR and install new feed and return lines. there is a write up on the forum.

Last edited by VeryWhiteDevil; 05-12-2014 at 09:29 AM.
Old 05-12-2014, 12:26 AM
Naf
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

when you installed the pump inside the bucket, did you see a spring and plunger?

That is where you regulate the fuel pressure. I had my friends at LPE regulate mine for me. It was a quick job, but flushing the gasoline smell out of it too a few hrs...
Old 05-12-2014, 12:47 AM
Staging Lane

I honestly can't remember if I seen a spring an plunger. Was several parts in there. Is it adjustable? Isn't hard to yank it out and adjust if so.
Old 05-12-2014, 01:01 AM
Naf
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

You will need a test bench, like i said i paid someone else to do the job for me...Maybe you should do the same thing and let them take a look at your bucket and do all the needed adjustments
Old 05-12-2014, 02:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I will have to find it but when I did my LSX mustang swap I used a corvette filter and bought a push in fitting that sealed into the filter and had a threaded end on the other side for an -AN thread. That filter will kick the fuel pressure down to 58-60psi before it makes it to the rails.
Old 05-12-2014, 12:56 PM
Staging Lane

Aren't u technically wanting to regulate the fuel pressure leaving the rails?

From the way I've gathered, I want to remove the in tank fpr, replace it with a ss90. Come off the ls2 fuel rail shrader (-4an?) to a aftermarket 2 port regulator, then the other side back to the tank? Is there a good way to connect it back to the tank without drilling a bulkhead? Didn't know if I could T back into the stock return line at filter.

Or could I just use the corvette style assuming I can find that adaptor fitting slow98 is referring to? I dnt see why not if the vettes come that way already.
Old 05-12-2014, 01:48 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VeryWhiteDevil
our FP regulator is in tank.. that filter will not work. you will not be able to regulate unless you remove the in tank FPR and install new feed and return lines. there is a write up on the forum.
^This...there is a sticky here on LS1tech on some of the work I did when I fully replaced the stock fuel system including FPR. If anything else, it gives lots of pics.

I greatly expanded on that with Q/A, theoretical calculations for sizing injectors for boost or N/A along with a lot more pics. I did calcs on one DW300 fuel pump then 2 etc. I gave a lot more detail on the return style system we have with the V1. You can find that write-up documented here:

http://vseriesforums.com/forums/topi...00-fuel-pumps/
Old 05-13-2014, 04:41 AM
Staging Lane

Yeah I've read ur thread already. Good write up Forsure.

Guess what I'm not understanding is if u simply remove the oem regulator off the module, and modify the vette filter to fit in the oem place, although it will be pre-rails theirs still a supply, tank feed and return there.

With that said I have everything scoped out to add a magnafuel regulator, just unclear to me as to why I couldn't use the vette filter I have here with an adaptor fitting?
Old 05-13-2014, 06:21 AM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 05maroonv
Yeah I've read ur thread already. Good write up Forsure.

Guess what I'm not understanding is if u simply remove the oem regulator off the module, and modify the vette filter to fit in the oem place, although it will be pre-rails theirs still a supply, tank feed and return there.

With that said I have everything scoped out to add a magnafuel regulator, just unclear to me as to why I couldn't use the vette filter I have here with an adaptor fitting?
It doesn't work bc you're stacking regulators. The first regulator (Vette fuel filter) is trying to regulate the line pressure, and the in tank regulator is regulating the return of the Vette fuel filter to 58psi. This is why you have 70+ psi at your rails, the Vette fuel filter cannot dump the excess fuel bc the discharge is regulated by the OE in tank regulator.

Just install the correct fuel filter. Unless you're at or above 500 whp the regulator won't make a difference anyhow.
Old 05-13-2014, 08:07 AM
Staging Lane

The vette filter isn't in there but I have one here laying on the shelf. I see what ur saying now, wasn't paying attention to supply/return regulation. I'm a decent ways past 500s also. The car is currently just running the dw pump with a Hotwire kit and oem filter that's making 70psi at idle.
Old 05-13-2014, 03:59 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 05maroonv
The vette filter isn't in there but I have one here laying on the shelf. I see what ur saying now, wasn't paying attention to supply/return regulation. I'm a decent ways past 500s also. The car is currently just running the dw pump with a Hotwire kit and oem filter that's making 70psi at idle.
That means the DW is overpowering the regulator and it can't dump enough fuel to maintain pressure. The regulator could be bad also. This is a problem on the Grand Nationals where the return line is too small to return the fuel to the tank at idle causing fuel pressure creep.
Old 05-13-2014, 04:13 PM
TECH Addict

I have a spare bucket that I pulled apart to mod. I was looking at the return port after the regulator where is sprays back into the check valve on the bottom. of the bucket. It looks so small I'm not sure it would flow enough. I was contemplating making the hole just a tad bigger to help evacuate the extra fuel if the regulator could keep up.
Old 05-23-2014, 12:41 AM
TECH Addict

Well I installed my DW300 and have the same issue. I installed the pump with the hole drilled out on the stock regulator return nozzle and the regulator itself after removing the clip and pulling it apart. However, it seems that the FPR just can't keep up with the extra flow as I too have 70 psi at idle.

My next plan of action is to pull the pump and remove the stock regulator and tap the return port for a barbed brass fitting. The I will install the fuel line that went to the OEM FPR on this barb and clamp it down. Then between the stock filter return and the tank I will install an Aeromotive compact regulator. Looks like there is plenty of room behind the stock filter location.

I know this isn't optimal, but a person has to think outside of the box when you only have some much time, money, and patience left lol
Old 05-23-2014, 01:08 AM
Staging Lane

Raven- here's what I done and I can now regulate down to the minimum amount my magnafuel will allow (30psi) even tho I don't need that amount, just shows that the system works, I set mine right at 58-60psi. I removed the regulator completely off the pump module, barb fitting to the stock plastic line an clamped. 4an off the rail shrader to the magnafuel, then out with new line back to the oem return line. Place an F-body 2port filter in place of ur old 3 port filter and good to go!
Old 05-24-2014, 09:45 AM
Launching!

Just a thought since I may need to go this route as well... Would it be possible to put an AFPR in place of the current filter (adapting the hard lines to AN lines) using the feed and return, then stick a normal inline AN style filter and reconnect to the hardline?

Mine runs about 70psi at idle too. This could be done basically just doubling up the OEM in tank regulator. Would that cause an issue?
Old 05-24-2014, 09:50 AM
Staging Lane

Remove the stock regulator. Add an aftermarket regulator, and run a fbody style filter. Simple as it gets.

If ur set on that filter setup, they make every an fitting imaginable
Old 05-24-2014, 12:25 PM
TECH Addict

That way would work fine you just need to ditch the factory regulator no matter which way you do it. The OEM FPR is the weak link here. It simply can't keep up with volume of fuel going through it and it becomes a restriction.

Quick Reply: Fuel pressure regulator help