Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

ctsv intake

Old 05-19-2014, 06:09 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess I don't agree, certainly our intake isn't optimal but I don't see how it's effecting the curve. The restriction wouldn't be at a particular RPM but at a particular airflow. Your 418 with the larger cam is going to hit this limit even earlier than your friends and if it were truly an issue you would think you would peak even earlier?
Old 05-19-2014, 06:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by InfrareV
I guess I don't agree, certainly our intake isn't optimal but I don't see how it's effecting the curve. The restriction wouldn't be at a particular RPM but at a particular airflow. Your 418 with the larger cam is going to hit this limit even earlier than your friends and if it were truly an issue you would think you would peak even earlier?
isn't higher rpm basically the same thing as higher airflow through the motor? the bigger cubes just being a bigger pump for the air?
Old 05-19-2014, 07:43 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Goosecaddy05
isn't higher rpm basically the same thing as higher airflow through the motor? the bigger cubes just being a bigger pump for the air?
Yes, but it's relative. In comparison to my motor or your friends motor your hitting the same airflow at a lower rpm.
Old 05-19-2014, 08:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

that's true... its just really weird... is it just a coincidence that 3 completely different sized motors with completely different heads and cams and exhausts would all do the same thing up top? seems really weird to me... there has to be some factor somewhere tying those results together
Old 05-19-2014, 08:22 PM
TECH Regular

Okay guys ive modified the volant box and decided to run my 05 K and N intake tube. I pulled the tb spacer to get a little more room and run a little longer coupler on the throttle body. So first off took some foil tape and covered the inside of the air box where the maf bolts to and used 2 tube of black plastic weld to seal that location. After drying I sanded it down. Did a mock up to see where my tubing would go. Sharpie a hole and cut it out with an extra .25 of an inch for the coupler to sit. The maf I have is a modified (ported screen removed and plastic around the filiment). Installed the elbow box and couplers. Notched out a small area where the maf cable can enter and hooked it all up. I used a stainless steel spectre air filter (had it laying around from an old turbo integra). The box is firm (will work on properly mounting soon) the tubing clears my radiator and the power steering pulley. I ran the car after all was said and done. The car feels like it pulls harder to red line. Its tapering off around 6700 by feel. Tuner said before I was 28*s in the midrange and pulling down to 24* by redline. Ill run my friends car to see if any difference was made. He is always 1/2 a car back. Ill see if the tuner can get my timing back. And return to the dyno and see what it does. Unfortunately the last place to dyno was hunters which is shut down. So a comparison wont be able to be made... and ive installed an 8.8 with 3.55 since
Old 05-19-2014, 09:40 PM
TECH Regular

From what I can tell... here are intake options for V1.

Stock: intake tube highly restrictive, resonance (accordian ridges) tubing. High flow box...

LINGENFELTER: replaces stock box with heat shield... keeps restrictive intake pipe. Adds k&n cone style filter

K&N: nice large smooth intake pipe mates to high flow cone style filter with same heat shield as lingenfelter. No provisions for fresh air.

Volant: nice plastic box with provisions for cool air from the front grill. The box has an area that pertrudes beside the radiator for air from the front grille, and to the inner fender liner. Nicely enclosed piece. Probably the best engineered piece. Pitfall is the beautifully molded piece that has a sharp turn into the throttle body. The tube is round where it mounts into the box, then is pinched into several oblongs reopens to a nice round piece right at the throttle body. Its a hard 90* turn.

My suggestion... DIY 90* silicone coupler, abs plastic 3.5 in piece to factory or the garbage can mod.

Anyone able to upload pics... I can email them. They wont upload to my photo bucket
Old 05-20-2014, 05:58 AM
TECH Regular

i will measure the spectre i have just for info sake. it came on the car. i started reading about tsp and lpe 100mm maf last night. got me thinking about a 90deg elbow and a 4" intake pjpe and use the spectre heat shield existing. like u guys said though, thats tight through there. dang shame we cant do the vette style two cone filter intake and use a box under it to keep heat off yet get air from grill
Old 05-20-2014, 07:21 AM
Naf
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Been there and thought of them all...

I dont want to lose the MAF so my options are lessened.

OTRCAI will NEVER be feasible on a small budget, you have to do extensive chassis alterations

3.5" tube, samco 90 degree elbow and LPE CAI is the best combo with potential till about 450rwhp.

4" tube with samco 90 degree elbow and LPE CAI is the ultimate combo for more peak HP with slight loss of tq at bottom end. Also a hole should be made in the bottom of the filter box for more air.

I have a 6" velocity stack feeding into a 6" long 102mm MAF with 45 elbow then 102mm intake tube to 90 elbow straight into the engine.

As i have louvers right above the air filter i do not need to drill any holes.

AFE make the best sand resistant filters
followed by AEM synthetic
followed by KN

AFE make powercore paper filters but max power is 380rwhp, after which you will start to suffocate the engine.

My AFE filter is of a custom build that is short wide and has top cone filter as well..This way i maximize my filtration area with minimal dust introduction.

The elbow is the most important, thus the reason i am using samco. It has the least restrictive that is basically a curved straight tube. Most other elbows have an edge inside causing turbulence and ultimately loss of potential power...Their 4-ply is great for you all, though i am using 102mm 5-ply as so not to collapse under high suction loads...
Old 05-21-2014, 10:08 AM
On The Tree

I would like to see a modified Volant.
Old 05-21-2014, 10:23 AM
TECH Regular

spectre is 4" until the D shaped point for the radiator bracket...that's 3.5" and then it tapers to the MAF diamater (85mm).
Old 09-24-2014, 06:11 AM
Teching In

I have a 69 camaro with a ls that is flattening out at 5800rpm as well. It carries 450rwhp to 7k rpms.

OP, Did your DIY intake tube fix your issue?
Old 09-24-2014, 08:20 AM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

narrow drivers side headlight, drill hole in radiator support, route fresh air into airbox, go from there.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-...v1-bumper.html
Old 09-24-2014, 08:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

meh....Just relocate the fuse box and battery and you can get plenty of air......run smaller fog lights and pull air form therre......pull air from the brake ducts......many better ideas....
Old 09-24-2014, 09:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Yea don't waste your time doing what I did with the headlights. Its way to much work if you just want a little more air into the intake. I did it for future turbos.

Also; relocating the battery is easy, but relocating the fuse box to the battery location...that's a little more work. I'm currently doing that now, and I need to extend pretty much every wire going to the drivers side of the car. Again, not worth it for just intake tube.

Just remove the drivers side headlight completely!! It'll get plenty of air at that point lol
Old 09-25-2014, 01:29 AM
Naf
TECH Fanatic

Lets all be honest, this is way over kill for the standard engines, if you want more air you have two options, punch a hole on the hood right before the filter, or get a FI bolt-on. you will either have RAM air or boosted effect...
Old 09-25-2014, 08:43 AM
TECH Addict

Its about temperature, not volume.

http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...-intake-3.html

For a true Cold Air Induction on this platform, are there any better ideas floating around? The underhood temps on this car are savage and I live in the south, so I think pursuing this makes sense, especially sense I already plan on having the bumper off the car and buying a spare set of headlights to have polished and ready to go. Sectioning the headlight could be done while watching Breaking Bad reruns...my kind of mod.

Last edited by ls1247; 09-25-2014 at 09:04 AM.
Old 09-30-2014, 03:29 AM
Naf
TECH Fanatic

I have my Meth kit on my tahoe bringing the IAT temp from 50c down to 22c at WOT. I no longer have a Temp issue...And my Meth kit is activated by incoming IAT temp which is activated at 20c...
Old 10-01-2014, 06:55 PM
TECH Regular

I have pics of my volant and k&n hybrid set up... and one wanna upload a cell phone picture?
Old 10-05-2014, 05:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

my tuner did some pulls with my car on the street and could not see a restriction from what he could tell... Although he did say the resolution doing it that way was not the best and he preferred to do it with other sensors on the dyno to be sure...But at least from that i don't think its as big of a prob as i originally thought
Old 03-31-2015, 09:22 AM
TECH Addict

I thought this was an interesting pic...notice the what I will assume is a fresh air intake just to the left of the grill....

I would think some of the higher horsepower guys could come up with a more attractive way of doing this.
Attached Thumbnails ctsv intake-intake.png  
The following users liked this post:
ShakeDownZ28 (12-20-2023)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ctsv intake