Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

alternator died

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 09:13 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default alternator died

Well about a week or so ago my alternator died so I ordered a new one from the dealer. Since that was going to take a few days to get I figured I would order a cam and springs. I decided to tear into it tonight and made some good progress I am to the point of installing springs. I am using the comp cam compressor and BTR springs I have to say it is a HUGE pain the the ***. Any tips would be great. Other than that I will post up some pics in the next few days but for the most part that is it have a few goodies to add along the way as well we will add those with pictures.
Old 06-05-2014, 01:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hahaha, "my alternator died so I decided to cam it"

CLASSIC!
Old 06-05-2014, 02:08 PM
Staging Lane

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Of coarse I thought about the last one for a good bit. hoping to have it running tonight. Still waiting on my maximizer 4 before I install this.

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by slowdenali; 06-05-2014 at 02:09 PM. Reason: double picture
Old 06-05-2014, 03:08 PM
TECH Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Are you using an air compressor to keep the valves up? I did that along with putting each cylinder at the top before removing the springs. You'll be able to feel when the piston is at the top through the spark plug hole with a plastic straw. Then hook up the air tool and have the car in gear, too much psi will turn the motor over, keep it under 50psi.

The hardest part of the springs is the damn retainers. Be sure to cover up any holes in a 50ft range. If one of those little effers pops off when you thought it was in, it will find the damnedest place to land. Just remember to let the tool up slowly and hold your hand over the top just incase.

Oh and if you also have the Brian Tooley vavle seals, they do not seat down flush to the head, there will be a small gap below them. Also the brown and black makes no difference, they are exactly the same...per Brian.
Old 06-05-2014, 03:27 PM
Staging Lane

awesome thanks and no air compressor just the tdc method is what I have always done.
Old 06-05-2014, 03:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lol I cranked the psi in mine to over 50 I think. It doesn't matter, just parking brake, leave it in reverse and your good. I doubt many compressors could crank enough cylinder pressure up to move a whole car though, well at least no compressor that most people have in their garage.

He's right about those retainers... I went and got a bag full of those bastards. I figured, oh it will only fall in the top of the head.... False, those damn things have wings and small light speed engines. They jump into different dimensions in spacetime
Old 06-05-2014, 03:28 PM
Staging Lane

05ctsv have you ever had your car to the track? How does it drive? And who did your tuning.
Old 06-05-2014, 06:19 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by slowdenali
05ctsv have you ever had your car to the track? How does it drive? And who did your tuning.
No track time yet, I'd like to. It drives really well, even though most said it wouldn't with the cam I put in. I used Brian Turner at Dyno Tune Motorsports in Columbus, OH. Very impressed with his tuning ability. He is very knowledgable and an all around good guy. He definitely knows his way around the LS platform.
Old 06-05-2014, 09:50 PM
Staging Lane

You have any dyno numbers? Sorry for all the questions we are using the same cam.
Old 06-05-2014, 10:19 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by slowdenali
You have any dyno numbers? Sorry for all the questions we are using the same cam.

alternator died-image-2517669804.jpg

Here is my dyno chart. The only other mods at the time were headers(pace setters), exhaust, clutch, mounts and bushings. Intake, heads, and throttle body were all stock.
Old 06-05-2014, 10:38 PM
Staging Lane

Awesome thanks!!
Old 06-05-2014, 11:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ryridesmotox
Lol I cranked the psi in mine to over 50 I think. It doesn't matter, just parking brake, leave it in reverse and your good. I doubt many compressors could crank enough cylinder pressure up to move a whole car though, well at least no compressor that most people have in their garage.
muahahahaha!!!!

Old 06-06-2014, 12:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

whats the tool look like? I used some crappy one some guy made, where you just suck down a plate in a threaded piece of all thread and push the spring down. It worked but dam it took forever to all 16. And that was on a bench not even in the car
Old 06-06-2014, 02:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 54inches
muahahahaha!!!!

Most people dont have something of that magnitude in their garage. Mine is a 30gal/125psi tank. It's small but it works for me. My grandfather has one that goes up to like a billion psi or some ****. But he had a Air compressor powered lift installed in his garage back in the 60s. So thats what it was for.

Originally Posted by 93hatch
whats the tool look like? I used some crappy one some guy made, where you just suck down a plate in a threaded piece of all thread and push the spring down. It worked but dam it took forever to all 16. And that was on a bench not even in the car
If you have the heads off the car you can get a pneumatic valve spring compressor. They are kind of expensive but if you are planning on doing more than one or two sets of heads or engine builds, its makes for an easy job.

Amazon.com: Proform 66849 Pneumatic Valve Spring Compressor: Automotive Amazon.com: Proform 66849 Pneumatic Valve Spring Compressor: Automotive
Old 06-06-2014, 05:32 AM
CTS-V Shifter Sales

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I use this compressor when the heads are on or off the car. Super easy to use. I also have the offset one for the LS3 heads.

http://m.summitracing.com/parts/tfs-90306
Old 06-06-2014, 07:41 AM
Staging Lane

[IMG][/IMG]

Old picture but this is what I have actually. The comp tool worked out last night just had to get the hang of it. That tool from summit looks easier to use.
Old 06-06-2014, 07:43 AM
Staging Lane

https://www.texas-speed.com/p-2291-c...ssor-tool.aspx

This is the tool I used.
Old 06-07-2014, 12:04 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I bought that compresssor as Quincy is probably the best compressor company still around from the early 1900s.....
Old 06-07-2014, 02:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 54inches
I bought that compresssor as Quincy is probably the best compressor company still around from the early 1900s.....
I'm a fan of Ingersoll rand. But my dad gave me his ancient craftsman for free. So I wasn't about to argue
Old 06-07-2014, 04:18 PM
TECH Addict

There IR compressors are still splash lubed. There aren't too many compressors that are pressure lubricated but Quincy is on of them and they are some of the best compressors made as long as you buy the commercial line. They have a new cheaper line with aluminum cases and they are junk.

But since everybody is posting pics of compressors, here is my home built compressor. Quincy single stage continuous duty rated pump, 50 gallon tank, and an old 3HP continuous duty oil field motor that I rebuilt. I'm getting rid of the junk Chinese pressure switch and replacing it with a separate pressure switch and contactor. Used the pressure switch contactor just to get me by. I built this compressor for about 400 bucks total. That includes the pump with a fresh rebuild and HVAC low bypass rings. Just need to get it apart to blast the tank and paint it.

Quick Reply: alternator died