Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

kooks 1.75" headers

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 11:56 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default kooks 1.75" headers

i have been doing a lot of researching lately and almost convinced myself to stay with a set of high flow cat pipes because of all the compromises that headers seem to come along with. that is also noticing that most people go with the 1 7/8" primary long tubes.

based on that, do the 1 3/4" kooks headers have any areas where clearance to other pieces becomes an issue? spark plugs/wires, steering shaft, etc? do they tend to tuck up under the car a little nicer than the larger versions?

i don't track my car and i'm not looking to make lots of power so i could really care less for the headroom that the 1 7/8" headers give me over the 1 3/4" ones.

edit: i don't want 1 7/8" headers. i especially don't want OBX. cost and overall power potential is not the issue.

Last edited by Bio248; 06-23-2014 at 12:01 PM.
Old 06-23-2014, 12:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had no clearance issues with the larger 1 7/8" kooks but have not seen any definitive one size or brand vs the other being the only ones with issues. The motor mounts may be the deciding factor if your car has an issue or not. If you haven't done them I would suggest it before or during header install. Plug wires can be an issue with any size header because there is no heat shield there any more.
Old 06-23-2014, 12:43 PM
TECH Resident

i have creative steel motor/trans mounts at home waiting to go in.

i was going to do the exhaust (whatever i decided) at the same time.
Old 06-23-2014, 12:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The 1 3/4" pipes have no fitment issues. The 1 7/8" pipes may contact the steering column though and most need to be dented to fit without issue.
Old 06-23-2014, 01:04 PM
TECH Resident

good to hear. i may just take the leap and buy the headers instead of trying to make up some high flow cat pipes.
Old 06-23-2014, 01:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My kooks 1 3/4 had to be slightly modified to fit the steering shaft, it was rubbing on mine. I doubt you would run into the same problem as mine.

I would DEFINITELY do the motor mounts while you are there. These will also be the easiest header swap you will ever do, they slide in piece of cake on both sides. I personally wouldn't use the supplied kooks gaskets, id get new GM gaskets.
Old 06-23-2014, 01:47 PM
TECH Resident

the only reason i haven't already done the mounts is because i wanted to do the exhaust at the same time since everyone says that it's easiest to just take the exhaust off to get access to the mounts anyway. i'll be using a lift so i shouldn't have too many problems getting it all done in one day.

i just like the idea that the 1.75" headers will slide in and work no problem without having to do anything goofy like denting the primaries. i am not looking for crazy power with this car so just putting long tubes on the car is probably going to give me enough seat of the pants gain to make it worth the effort. i also like that the smaller primaries will keep the power band down lower where i want it in a DD.
Old 06-23-2014, 02:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bio248
the only reason i haven't already done the mounts is because i wanted to do the exhaust at the same time since everyone says that it's easiest to just take the exhaust off to get access to the mounts anyway. i'll be using a lift so i shouldn't have too many problems getting it all done in one day.

i just like the idea that the 1.75" headers will slide in and work no problem without having to do anything goofy like denting the primaries. i am not looking for crazy power with this car so just putting long tubes on the car is probably going to give me enough seat of the pants gain to make it worth the effort. i also like that the smaller primaries will keep the power band down lower where i want it in a DD.
the motor mount on the driver side will need a 3' extension/swivel end to access one bolt, from the top. Jus FYI.

You MIGHT have to dent it, you might not. I did on mine, but my friends 05 didnt; used the same header, literally.
Old 06-23-2014, 02:10 PM
TECH Resident

did either of you already have new motor mounts at the time? that seems like a lot of the play comes from that.
Old 06-23-2014, 03:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I had NEVER heard of anyone having to dent 1 3/4" headers until this thread. That makes zero sense to me. My OBX barely came in contact with the shaft and only while turning, so instead of eventually wearing a hole I dented them. No big deal to dent one primary.
Old 06-23-2014, 03:35 PM
TECH Resident

i don't need the headroom of the 1 7/8" primary headers. hell, i don't even need headers, but if i'm in there already i might as well throw some go fast parts on, right? if i really wanted to get something created that'd fit perfect i would go that route, but i'd rather just toss a set of headers in there that's already been tried and proven.
Old 06-23-2014, 03:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

the restriction on the exhaust is the manifolds so unless you go headers dont waste time with some cat delete pipe or some bull ****. put some tubes on her and let her breathe. if your not going max effort the primary size probably doesnt matter i went 1 3/4 others go 1 7/8 with a little ding to clear steering. i just second guess myself on the pacesetters for the long term thinking i should have went stainless. hopefully i will be on to a turbo setup before the rust to pieces.
Old 06-23-2014, 04:13 PM
TECH Resident

i've come to the conclusion that if i really want to make some serious power i should just start with something else instead of my V.

so it'll just be my hopped up daily for however long i have it.
Old 06-23-2014, 08:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My decision is kooks or b and b. Or pace setters..... or obx......

I have 3 in b and b x pipe to the back but I also had some cutting and re welding done on the system so I know what ever headers I do will need some welder love and bending to get it lined up. So it makes me also think if I should buy high flo cats separately to save on the price of front pipes.

Really torn on what headers I want...
Old 06-24-2014, 07:46 AM
TECH Resident

between the kooks or the B&B i don't think you can go wrong.

pacesetters seem like a middle of the road choice without going to ebay parts.

OBX, in my opinion, are bottom of the barrel because they're a replica part. i've done my fair share of purchasing replica parts in the past and i just don't want to go down that road anymore, regardless of how many people praise them. lots of people that do praise them have never had a set of the "good" headers in their hands, either.
Old 06-24-2014, 08:26 AM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Bio248
between the kooks or the B&B i don't think you can go wrong.

pacesetters seem like a middle of the road choice without going to ebay parts.

OBX, in my opinion, are bottom of the barrel because they're a replica part. i've done my fair share of purchasing replica parts in the past and i just don't want to go down that road anymore, regardless of how many people praise them. lots of people that do praise them have never had a set of the "good" headers in their hands, either.
haha you are placing pace setters ahead of OBX, strictly because they look like kooks clones?

I have had pacesetter headers for the V in my hand as well as OBX and the OBX are FAR better in every aspect.

And to your last comment, I had Kooks on my C5. So I guess I have header street cred now.
Old 06-24-2014, 08:31 AM
TECH Resident

you sure do.
Old 06-24-2014, 08:48 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I was impressed with the quality of my OBX... nice 360* welds at the flanges and well polished.
Old 06-24-2014, 08:57 AM
Launching!

my father's 1 7/8" ARH headers needed to be dented near the steering column. other than that, no fitment issues at all.
Old 06-25-2014, 08:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

I've heard it said that unless you go FI, you don't need to go to the bigger 1-7/8".

Ditto on no steering shaft fitment issues with Kooks 1-3/4".

Quick Reply: kooks 1.75" headers