Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Project Anti-Hop and Traction continues! CS Goodies inside!

Old 07-05-2014, 05:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Project Anti-Hop and Traction continues! CS Goodies inside!

Some of you may have seen some of the videos of my car on the track. On the drag radials, even with the CS 8.8 I was getting absolutely violent hop. Ultimately the car never hopped on the street with the 8.8, and I naively thought it would be ok at the track as well. The factory cradle bushings as we all well know are trash and contribute to a lot of it.

SO, more Creative Steel goodies were in order.

With the help of the Creative Steel Tool to press the old bushings out, removing them was significantly more simple than not having the tool (not even sure honestly how you'd get them out without a HUGE headache otherwise)
Old JUNK…. Becomes even more apparent why these things suck so bad when you have them in your hand.

In with the new. You can literally press these in by hand, then synch em now when you bolt the subframe back in. Torque specs are conveniently provided with the detailed instructions if you get the tool from CS.

Also decided to go ahead and upgrade the trailing arms and toe rods as well 'while I was in there' This stuff is top notch.
Old Vs New

All in all we had the bushings, trailing arms and toe rods installed, and driving the car on to the alignment rack in around 2.5 hours including eating a pizza and drinking some brews. Obviously having a lift helps tremendously, and I have friends who are damn good with tools which helps a lot as well.

So purty

Main thing I noticed while driving it so far has been the drivetrain noise is much louder, which was expected when going with a stiff poly bushing setup. Like I said before, the wheelhop wasn't really noticeable on the street before, and it obviously still isn't. The next track day will tell the whole story. Can't wait to get it back out there and give it a go
Old 07-05-2014, 08:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome. You probably don't even need Adam's subframe connectors at this point, although I guess every bit helps. So...do you ever plan on getting a custom hood or do you like the blower poking out?
Old 07-05-2014, 09:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I still would love to try a set of subframe connectors. Maybe run it like this, then add the connectors later to see if its a noticable help or not.

I used to want to cover the blower... But now it has really become this cars calling card. I think it's gonna stay hanging out of the hood for a while. The look on peoples faces when they see it while im out driving around is just too priceless to cover it up you know?
Old 07-06-2014, 04:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gtistile
I still would love to try a set of subframe connectors. Maybe run it like this, then add the connectors later to see if its a noticable help or not.

I used to want to cover the blower... But now it has really become this cars calling card. I think it's gonna stay hanging out of the hood for a while. The look on peoples faces when they see it while im out driving around is just too priceless to cover it up you know?

You have a picture of your car with the blower sticking out?
Old 07-06-2014, 07:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Trailing arm bushings?
Old 07-06-2014, 08:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I didn't get the ones near the hub. Would it be worthwhile?

Any input on doing the control arm and lower strut mount bushings? I may just order them since I need to make some rear suspension adjustments anyways for when I step up to a larger tire
Old 07-07-2014, 10:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

need track updates!!
Old 07-07-2014, 10:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

before and after 60' times too
Old 07-07-2014, 11:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have pulled 1.73 and also a higher 1.7x before. Several other 1.8s. Car has only made 5-6 passes though. I'm searching to find my next track day. Hopefully sooner than later and I will definitely update.

Part of me wants to run again w/ the same tires for sake of comparison (and to continue learning the car, but on the other hand the tires are getting worn, and i am not buying the same set again. I love them, but I can go up in size with the M&H and potentially find some more traction that way as well
Old 07-07-2014, 11:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have pulled 1.73 and also a higher 1.7x before. Several other 1.8s. Car has only made 5-6 passes though. I'm searching to find my next track day. Hopefully sooner than later and I will definitely update.

Part of me wants to run again w/ the same tires for sake of comparison (and to continue learning the car, but on the other hand the tires are getting worn, and i am not buying the same set again. I love them, but I can go up in size with the M&H and potentially find some more traction that way as well
Either way the variables will change, with the weather/DA and what not. 1.73 is still VERY good.
Old 07-07-2014, 11:44 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I wouldn't do the control arm bushings in poly. I doubt it would help your drag times and they'll end up squeaking over every bump.
Old 07-07-2014, 12:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Lubricated enough, they wont (or shouldnt) squeak
Old 07-07-2014, 12:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by LeanPocket
Lubricated enough, they wont (or shouldnt) squeak
I've fought that battle for years before. There was never a permanent solution. I finally ended up replacing them with stock rubber replacements, which is what I should have done in the first place. Poly has its places, and control arm bushings is not one of them.
Old 07-07-2014, 12:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Either way the variables will change, with the weather/DA and what not. 1.73 is still VERY good.
Won't be content until I see a 1.5x- low 1.6x on drag radials
Old 07-07-2014, 12:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Won't be content until I see a 1.5x- low 1.6x on drag radials
That'd be a ridiculously good 60 time. We will need video of you snapping your own neck.
Old 07-07-2014, 12:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ryridesmotox
That'd be a ridiculously good 60 time. We will need video of you snapping your own neck.

Id love to provide that for you guys hahaha
Old 07-07-2014, 01:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BudRacing
I've fought that battle for years before. There was never a permanent solution. I finally ended up replacing them with stock rubber replacements, which is what I should have done in the first place. Poly has its places, and control arm bushings is not one of them.
Even with generous amounts of bearing grease? (or any grease)
Old 07-07-2014, 02:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Nothing. I had em on a few of my past vehicles... Always squeak. Tried everything. The only time I got a poly bushing to stop squeaking was when it got heated up because I ran the exhaust too close to it and it fell the hell out... It was a shock bushing thank god so it wasn't catastrophic.
Old 07-07-2014, 02:32 PM
TECH Junkie

The grease wears out of them in short order. Zerk fittings make it easier to grease them, but it's still not something I care to do on a frequent basis, especially for the negligible gain they provide.
Old 07-17-2014, 09:30 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Two words - absolutely gorgeous.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Project Anti-Hop and Traction continues! CS Goodies inside!