Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Slow roll clunking/clicking from rear - what could it be?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 10:46 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slow roll clunking/clicking from rear - what could it be?

I've been noticing a clicking kind of clunk coming from the rear of my car the last few months and wondered if anyone had an idea of what it likely is. It clunks as the wheels turn. The sound comes when the car is slowly rolling forward and/or backward; like when pulling out of the driveway, etc. I don't hear anything like it while driving around - not even when slowly pulling up to stop signs/lights and so on. It's definitely coming from the rear, and it's definitely not the usual "parade clunk" that we're all so accustomed to. This sound happens while just rolling. It doesn't have to be in or out of gear, and doesn't rely on the clutch being engaged or not. It's something coming from the differential, half shafts, hubs, or something to that effect... Any ideas?
Old 07-30-2014, 04:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I vote a bushing being out, maybe on a trailing arm or something maybe. Without seeing or hearing it, most ideas here are going to be guesses I imagine.
Old 07-30-2014, 09:39 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ryridesmotox
I vote a bushing being out, maybe on a trailing arm or something maybe. Without seeing or hearing it, most ideas here are going to be guesses I imagine.
I'm thinking it's not a trailing arm issue because it's not bumps/suspension travel causing the sound. It happens while slowly rolling over even ground. It's something that's rotating with the rear wheels...
Old 07-30-2014, 09:52 AM
TECH Regular

Weird noises...start checking the little stuff. I know you said rear but check your power steering fluid, 1 min check there (it can make strange noises if low and transmit all over). Jack it up and take the wheels off and inspect, check sways, end links, trailing arms for tightness. While you're there check the wheel bearings. I've replaced 2 in a 3 yr period.
Old 07-30-2014, 09:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

possible CV issue with a drive axle
Old 07-30-2014, 01:37 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks for the suggestions. I have a blown driver's side rear shock that I've been procrastinating on replacing for a few months now. I'll get working on that and poke around to investigate this noise too. If its a CV/axle issue, will there more than likely be visual evidence of the problem? Or could the boot still be in tact and the joint inside be F'd?
Old 08-16-2014, 11:11 PM
TECH Resident

Well, I got that blown shock changed tonight. I left the back seat and all the trim pieces out, and took the car for a test drive afterward. The slow speed click/clunk is still there. And it's definitely coming from the rear somewhere. I had a quick look under the car and all the CV boots look ok. I didn't really see anything out of place at all. I also gave the wheels a spin when the rear end was in the air, but I didn't hear/feel/notice anything while I was doing this. Any ideas?

I should also add that I went into a parking lot and drove in circles to see if one direction brought the noises out more than another. I couldn't decipher a difference.

Last edited by wes8398; 08-16-2014 at 11:16 PM.
Old 08-17-2014, 12:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

Driveshaft since it spins regardless?
Old 08-17-2014, 12:36 AM
Teching In

Did you check the differential bushing?
Old 08-17-2014, 04:02 AM
Launching!

Check the rear CV in the driveshaft mine did it and it was dry just regreese it. Unbolt the 6 Allen bolts where the driveshaft meets the rear they are an 8 mil allen . pull the ds down a few inches and use a flathead to pop the cover off and check it .. Normally it will have a line of greese on the heat sheild from where it spit out. When you reinstall use blue locktite cause if u drive it kinda hard the may come loose and spit the greese out.. Just my 2cents or 46 cents lol.. Hopefully this helps
Old 08-17-2014, 06:20 PM
TECH Resident

I have the same noise, started about three weeks ago. It about as loud and the same sound as driving over something metallic like a bottle cap at slow speeds. Definitely more like a click, and less like a clunk. It seems to be driver rear on my car, but I haven't ruled anything out yet.

I have poly rear cradle bushings, rear trailing arm bushings, diff, diff block, trans insert, and motors mounts. My drive shaft was recently rebuilt and the rear CV was inspected and given a thumbs up.

I can reproduce the noise most frequently by pulling forward from my parking spot, stopping, reversing back in, and rolling out again. A change in direction like that points to a drivetrain component (axle CV, drive shaft CV, diff) or possible rear brake system (caliper pin, pads, parking brakes). It could also potentially be suspension related if a component was being loaded and unloaded as the car started out forwards or in reverse.

I have not had the time to get the car up in the air and won't likely until I install my new clutch master cylinder.
Old 08-19-2014, 01:03 PM
TECH Resident

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

You can check play in the CV's by jacking up the rear, and rotate the tire back and forth and watch how the axle engages. Slight backlash is normal. If the tire will rotate before the axle moves, it could be the outer cv (may have to hold the axle in your hand to provide friction... 'that's what she said'), if the axle spins before you see the CV rotate in the diff, it would be the inner.

Mine clicked/popped when turning corners in the parking lot, and it was a worn CV.
Old 08-19-2014, 08:29 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks for all the feedback, fellas. The only inspecting I've done is when I was replacing the blown shock and fiddle-fucked around a bit under the rear end. As I said, nothing seemed out of place, but I basically just had a quick look at the CV boots and made sure the exhaust wasn't rubbing on anything. I also spun the wheels with the rear end in the air, and nothing looked or sounded amiss. I also drove it in circles to see if weight transfer/load had an impact on the sound; which it did not.

Originally Posted by karlmisery
Did you check the differential bushing?
I haven't looked at the diff bushing, mainly because I wouldn't really know what I was looking for. A diff issue isn't at the top of the suspect list in my mind because there don't seem to be any other issues at normal driving speeds, etc. There's certainly no grinding or any change in the usual whine. And, as I said above, I couldn't replicate the sound when I spun the wheels by hand with the rear end elevated.

Originally Posted by rbsurfer
Check the rear CV in the driveshaft mine did it and it was dry just regreese it. Unbolt the 6 Allen bolts where the driveshaft meets the rear they are an 8 mil allen . pull the ds down a few inches and use a flathead to pop the cover off and check it .. Normally it will have a line of greese on the heat sheild from where it spit out. When you reinstall use blue locktite cause if u drive it kinda hard the may come loose and spit the greese out.. Just my 2cents or 46 cents lol.. Hopefully this helps
I'll put this on the list of things to check, for sure. Didn't even cross my mind.

Originally Posted by Fweasel
I have the same noise, started about three weeks ago. It about as loud and the same sound as driving over something metallic like a bottle cap at slow speeds. Definitely more like a click, and less like a clunk. It seems to be driver rear on my car, but I haven't ruled anything out yet.

I have poly rear cradle bushings, rear trailing arm bushings, diff, diff block, trans insert, and motors mounts. My drive shaft was recently rebuilt and the rear CV was inspected and given a thumbs up.

I can reproduce the noise most frequently by pulling forward from my parking spot, stopping, reversing back in, and rolling out again. A change in direction like that points to a drivetrain component (axle CV, drive shaft CV, diff) or possible rear brake system (caliper pin, pads, parking brakes). It could also potentially be suspension related if a component was being loaded and unloaded as the car started out forwards or in reverse.

I have not had the time to get the car up in the air and won't likely until I install my new clutch master cylinder.
Sounds like your car is a whole different beast, but I'd be really curious to get in it and hear if the sound you're getting is indeed the same as mine. I'm confident that mine's not suspension related though. I can produce the sound on perfectly even, flat ground with zero suspension travel happening. As I said above, I've also driven in circles in a smooth parking lot - forward and backward - and I could not find one condition which caused the sound more than another. Hmmm...

Originally Posted by 1BADCTS
You can check play in the CV's by jacking up the rear, and rotate the tire back and forth and watch how the axle engages. Slight backlash is normal. If the tire will rotate before the axle moves, it could be the outer cv (may have to hold the axle in your hand to provide friction... 'that's what she said'), if the axle spins before you see the CV rotate in the diff, it would be the inner.

Mine clicked/popped when turning corners in the parking lot, and it was a worn CV.
I've done this.... kind of. I noticed when spinning the wheels by hand that there was some play before the diff was engaged and the other wheel would start turning too, but this didn't strike me as abnormal. I'm assuming this is "backlash" that you referred to, right? I did not, however, observe or manipulate the axle at all while doing this. So I don't know if the wheel was spinning before the axle or what... I'll have to re-test and keep this in mind. Thanks!
Old 09-19-2014, 06:41 PM
TECH Resident

Couldn't find the source of the noise on my own so I took the car to a local mechanic. He said its the driver's side axle. We were able to reproduce it while brake torquing the rear end in 1st gear and reverse, a single click in either direction. An upgraded axle was on my list of things to do anyways, but it looks like I won't be reusing my CV's.
Old 09-19-2014, 08:58 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Fweasel
Couldn't find the source of the noise on my own so I took the car to a local mechanic. He said its the driver's side axle. We were able to reproduce it while brake torquing the rear end in 1st gear and reverse, a single click in either direction. An upgraded axle was on my list of things to do anyways, but it looks like I won't be reusing my CV's.
Thanks for posting that! I did some brake work and messed around with the axles a bit the other day. I couldn't make anything happen that seemed abnormal. The noise is still there though. NOW I've been noticing that when I pull (back) out of my driveway with the steering wheel turned a fair amount, my front driver's side feels strange as it goes over the "soft curb". I can't pinpoint what is happening, but it's struck me a few times the last few mornings as I'm leaving for work... just like a "woah...that didn't seem right" thing. Ball joint, maybe? But I'm not getting any higher speed 'yanking' or 'rolling over' when turning like I've experienced with blown ball joints in other vehicles though.
Old 09-19-2014, 09:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 345 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by wes8398
Thanks for posting that! I did some brake work and messed around with the axles a bit the other day. I couldn't make anything happen that seemed abnormal. The noise is still there though. NOW I've been noticing that when I pull (back) out of my driveway with the steering wheel turned a fair amount, my front driver's side feels strange as it goes over the "soft curb". I can't pinpoint what is happening, but it's struck me a few times the last few mornings as I'm leaving for work... just like a "woah...that didn't seem right" thing. Ball joint, maybe? But I'm not getting any higher speed 'yanking' or 'rolling over' when turning like I've experienced with blown ball joints in other vehicles though.
I know we have two totally different cars, independent and solid rear axle, but this thread caught my attention. My car started doing exactly what you described threw this thread today. Clunk at rolling idle speed, forward and reverse and in neutral rolling down the driveway. I jacked my rear up and spun and rocked the wheels and nothing. I have no vibrations or anything at higher speeds other than crawls. I do not know much about independent or cts-v but it's driving me mental and maybe rules out a differential problem.
I don't know.... seems like the exact same symptoms as me so I figured I would post
Maybe axle or wheel bearing ?
Old 09-19-2014, 09:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 345 Likes on 237 Posts

I also reached back while slowly idling down the road and opened my door to reach back and feel the rear driver tire and the pop was pretty pronounced
Old 09-20-2014, 07:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by wes8398
... The noise is still there though ...
Did I read over your posts, above, and miss this? Have you placed the rear of the car on jackstands and rotated the wheels/axles to try to produce the clicking noise in order to isolate it as a CV or DS or diff or ???

Going to be getting cold soon, and you won't want to get under there when the temp dips.
Old 09-20-2014, 10:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

I had a binding sound from the rear when making slow rolling turns. I had my diff fluid changed & it went away. I figured it was the additive to the rear diff fluid. I had another service done & it started again. I figured they didn't put the additive in. I asked & they said they did.
Old 03-14-2015, 03:19 PM
Teching In

I have a 99 ss only 50,000 miles so i know the fluid hasnt been changed but im doing that this weekend. mine only makes the noise after i have reversed then start forward its a manual car and clutch engaged disengaged doesnt affect it. i can stop then take off again and the sounds gone. however recently its gotten a little more noticable and occasionly light clicking sound slowly coasting to a stop.

Quick Reply: Slow roll clunking/clicking from rear - what could it be?