Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

another rear end question

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 06:54 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default another rear end question

SO like many of us the rear differential on my 04 V1 got beatin up by the wheel hop bully. However I do believe I just cracked the case and all internals are okay and intact as I took it apart and found no shredded teeth or damage to anything (everything spins free with out catching or binding) So I guess my main question is can I swap the internals from my V diff into a regular CTS diff or is there something special about the case of the V? I know I'm not fixing the true problem, but coughing up the money for an CS 8.8 isn't exactly what I had in mind at this point in time. I figured if i can go to a junk yard or something and find a wrecked CTS that I can yank the diff from, and swap internals Id like to do that to get me back on the road as cheap as possible. Thanks for any answers, advice or better solutions any of you may have!
Old 07-31-2014, 07:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

I think you cant do that. If memory serves me they are different. I think someone looked into this. I could be wrong.
Old 07-31-2014, 08:04 PM
TECH Resident

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Cases are interchangeable. I have an empty CTS case sitting in the garage right now I used for the template building my diff brace. Do a search on the forum and somebody had listed all the cars that use this diff... there are several. One example here.

The CTS diff just doesn't have limited slip, which is why the gear swaps are needed.

I pulled one apart once, and it seems like you'd need a press to re-insert the pinion gear back in. I beat it back in with a hammer since it was junk anyway, but that wouldn't be good if you're trying to rebuild the diff.
Old 07-31-2014, 10:08 PM
On The Tree

Your car is NASTY!!!Bad

Quick Reply: another rear end question