Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

PUO Motor Mounts

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 09:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fweasel
Great, so you're done here?

Brian, thanks for continuing to spend your time and resources on this platform. I appreciate it.
Old 08-07-2014, 10:14 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ls1247
Build a set of UMI's with a RUBBER insert and you would sell a ton of these to those of us who don't need urethane for DD duties.... the urethane is harder than it needs to be for any practical DD application. I'd buy a set....it is still a Cadillac
Just an FYI I DD a set of revshift "blue" (soft) motor mounts and I could not be happier, very smooth and almost zero shake or vibration, plus they will last forever unlike rubber mounts. I felt the old worn out stock mounts shake around alot more, when I replaced them I almost didn't know the engine was on!

Also there are already at least 3 aftermarket motor mounts available with multiple levels of hardness. These mounts have all had revisions and suffered a large trial and error period, heat issues etc, before these mounts are what they are today. Plus they pull from research from all the applications they are made for, especially when it comes to polyurethane types/recipes. Whats the need to make a new "style"?
Old 08-07-2014, 10:22 AM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by wiskey
Just an FYI I DD a set of revshift "blue" (soft) motor mounts and I could not be happier, very smooth and almost zero shake or vibration, plus they will last forever unlike rubber mounts. I felt the old worn out stock mounts shake around alot more, when I replaced them I almost didn't know the engine was on!

Also there are already at least 3 aftermarket motor mounts available with multiple levels of hardness. These mounts have all had revisions and suffered a large trial and error period, heat issues etc, before these mounts are what they are today. Plus they pull from research from all the applications they are made for, especially when it comes to polyurethane types/recipes. Whats the need to make a new "style"?
I've looked into the other styles of mounts offered by the competition but in the long run, I think the UMI style of mounts are worth the extra investment. If Brain can pull off a softer version of it, it will be the ultimate V1 motor mount for most of us.

An added benefit to this style of mount was being able to take the through bolt out of it during my clutch install, dropping the motor almost and inch making for easier access to the transmission and bell-housing bolts. As an ex line mechanic, I appreciate this!! Brain if you clearance your mounts a bit, you could get more than an inch which would really help at clutch install time.

Last edited by ls1247; 08-07-2014 at 10:43 AM.
Old 08-07-2014, 10:42 AM
CTS-V Shifter Sales

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Less than 500 miles with your Revshift blue motor mounts. WELL on their way to complete failure.

Old 08-07-2014, 10:55 AM
CTS-V Shifter Sales

Originally Posted by ls1247
I wouldn't consider committing to testing a product without at least seeing what I'm getting ready to spend the better part of a day installing. Guess I'm unreasonable. Sorry.
They will all have a chance to see the mounts before I ship them. I will show everybody when they are completed.

I seriously am considering scrapping this whole motor mount idea and just living with swapping out the crap mounts from Revshift that continually fail in my car and the mounts that are transmitting vibration. The amount of time and effort involved in designing the parts, getting them made, powdercoated, assembled, boxed and shipped is really not worth the damn hassle. I don't do this to support my family and the amount of profit per set is damn near nothing.
Old 08-07-2014, 11:03 AM
CTS-V Shifter Sales

I hope you can understand why we don't put our designs up for viewing, the last person to do that had Fuzzylogic take his design to another vendor and have them quote making them.

Here is a sketch of the general design, like I said, similar to the umi design.

Old 08-07-2014, 11:12 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't looked at my Revshifts since I installed them 20k miles ago. I wonder if they're still in one piece ...
Old 08-07-2014, 11:30 AM
Teching In

besides the nut turning its really hard to see whats wrong with the mounts with the header wrap on them....
Old 08-07-2014, 12:11 PM
CTS-V Shifter Sales

besides the nut turning its really hard to see whats wrong with the mounts with the header wrap on them....
Revshift mount is on the right. The polyurethane has separated from the nut and bolt inside and they would eventually pull out of the polyurethane all together. Both driver and passenger mounts were this way after only a few weeks of use.

Old 08-07-2014, 12:44 PM
TECH Regular

Had my first set of revshift blues for 20k + miles, the bolt loosened up in the poly. Very similar to Brian's video. I used the silicone jackets too. Revshift had me a replacement set in about 4 days after calling.

Tried the creative steel black mounts, hated the vibrations from them. Felt like metal on metal, almost like the exhaust was banging against something. Had more than a few people convince my flywheel had gone bad. Returned for a refund.

Made my own mounts from solid steel. Surprisingly the had less vibrations than the creative steel mounts but still more than I wanted to live with. Had a nice massage effect at idle.

Put the revshift replacements in and I have zero, and I mean zero vibrations. Revshift has told me that they revised the design to keep the bolt from spinning as the previous sets did.

But because Brian is an awesome guy, I'd be willing to try them out and change my mounts for a fifth time. Would also be an opportunity to check the new revshift design to see if the spinning is eliminated. I got it down to around a 2.5 hour job now. .
Old 08-07-2014, 01:29 PM
TECH Addict

as a compromise, maybe you could get the UMIs (dealer status maybe), remove the urethane (or buy them raw?) and make a split bushing insert of softer material for those and resell them. I am heading in that direction myself at some point.

can't say as I blame you on the design heist theory...

good luck either way.
Old 08-07-2014, 02:46 PM
TECH Regular

Every time I see that xray I still don't get a 3D picture in my head of CS's internals on their mounts.
Old 08-07-2014, 03:22 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 07CTS-V
They will all have a chance to see the mounts before I ship them. I will show everybody when they are completed.

I seriously am considering scrapping this whole motor mount idea and just living with swapping out the crap mounts from Revshift that continually fail in my car and the mounts that are transmitting vibration. The amount of time and effort involved in designing the parts, getting them made, powdercoated, assembled, boxed and shipped is really not worth the damn hassle. I don't do this to support my family and the amount of profit per set is damn near nothing.
I'll echo a little here. The design process is tedious. It takes hours of measurements, crunching the calculations, revisions, sleepless nights, and testing. There are considerations for material choices, easy of machineabity, ease of installation, constantly checking to make sure you didn't leave out a detail.

I spent hours in a hotel room in my spare time 3D modeling concept renderings while I traveled. I scrapped good designs in favor of simplicity and lower cost. I worked a mockup studying every movement and modeling everything to perfection. I had to reduce tolerances for critical areas and change this/that etc until I finally had something that worked...on paper. Then it's the risk of machining and crossing your fingers no mistakes were made and that overwhelming joy when it all comes together and you give it a test and it works.

Then you have to work a price that clears cost of production, insurance, possible replacement parts and bring it to the community that satisfies that need/want.

Having gone down that path, it raises a greater understanding of what is involved and the sacrifices that are made with our free time - it is done for the passion of the car community. Sometimes there are praises and other times, it is met with a double edge sword and filled with rants, flames, diatribes, over-critical nonsense, drama, he called your mother a ***** - shut your mouth b*tch!

But I digress...looking forward to seeing this design become an offering to the community.
Old 08-07-2014, 03:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

It would be great it have a mount that you don't need to pull your headers off to swap in new ones.
Old 08-07-2014, 03:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It's not so much the mounts as it is the mount brackets. If the lower mount bracket was more accessible it would be a breeze.
Old 08-07-2014, 11:18 PM
Teching In

Brian, don't let the negative Nancy's get you down. The shifter you make is awesome! I love mine. Looking forward very much to trying the motor mounts.

Last edited by Rock44; 08-08-2014 at 08:10 AM.
Old 08-08-2014, 06:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by philistine
Every time I see that xray I still don't get a 3D picture in my head of CS's internals on their mounts.
From the X-ray, The CS mount appears to be a captured design. Whereas the Revshift is just two bolts suck in each end.

Comparing one to the other if the polyeurethane fails on both mounts:The CS mount will still be holding your motor to the cradle, vs. the RS mount will be fully disconnected and you'll have a very floppy engine.
Old 08-08-2014, 08:07 AM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by philistine
I was trying to draw something using Powerpoint, but my 3D drawing skills are, uhhh... not so good.

Take a Solo cup, and turn it into steel with your transmogrifier. Put a 14mm hole in the bottom. Take a 13mm bolt with a big fender washer and drop it down through the hole. Pass another 13mm bolt with a big fender washer up through a steel Solo cup lid, and weld that upper bolt to the lid. Weld the lid onto the cup. Cut away some of the side of the cup so the bottom and the lid are joined by 4 strips. So the lid with the welded bolt is the top of the cage. The bottom of the cage is the bottom of the Solo cup. The lower bolt can float up and down inside the Solo cup (so you can set the proper length of the surrounding urethane mount), but it can't pull out because the fender washer keeps the head of the bolt inside the bottom of the cup.

(I say 13mm, but I honestly don't recall what the dimensions of the bolts are. The sizing isn't important, but hopefully that gives you a better image in your head than the X-ray.)

Last edited by AAIIIC; 08-08-2014 at 08:16 AM.
Old 08-08-2014, 10:38 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by AAIIIC
I was trying to draw something using Powerpoint, but my 3D drawing skills are, uhhh... not so good.

Take a Solo cup, and turn it into steel with your transmogrifier. Put a 14mm hole in the bottom. Take a 13mm bolt with a big fender washer and drop it down through the hole. Pass another 13mm bolt with a big fender washer up through a steel Solo cup lid, and weld that upper bolt to the lid. Weld the lid onto the cup. Cut away some of the side of the cup so the bottom and the lid are joined by 4 strips. So the lid with the welded bolt is the top of the cage. The bottom of the cage is the bottom of the Solo cup. The lower bolt can float up and down inside the Solo cup (so you can set the proper length of the surrounding urethane mount), but it can't pull out because the fender washer keeps the head of the bolt inside the bottom of the cup.

(I say 13mm, but I honestly don't recall what the dimensions of the bolts are. The sizing isn't important, but hopefully that gives you a better image in your head than the X-ray.)

Can I rent a transmogrifier from AutoZone?
Old 08-08-2014, 11:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Got to have the secret handshake down.

Quick Reply: PUO Motor Mounts