Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Got a bunch of stuff done, question on B&B

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 08:00 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got a bunch of stuff done, question on B&B

So i finally got around to getting a bunch of much needed things done:

-LS7 Clutch kit
-Pacesetter LT headers
-B&B Sport exhaust
-Plugs and wires

I'm not too happy with how quiet the B&B system is, here's a vid:

It's really deep and the drone is just outright ridiculous, now the pipes after the headers (before the x pipe) have resonators on them, i wonder if i get them removed it'll improve the sound and decrease the drone...Thoughts?
Old 08-30-2014, 08:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my car has longtubes, I put magnaflow mufflers then deleted that big resonator in the center of the exhaust and it made the drone 100x worse
Old 08-30-2014, 08:28 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 93hatch
my car has longtubes, I put magnaflow mufflers then deleted that big resonator in the center of the exhaust and it made the drone 100x worse
Well ****
Old 08-30-2014, 08:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

if yours is like mine its exactly at 2k RPM, also known as 50mph. It sucks
Old 08-31-2014, 09:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

sounds like 3" to me Maybe it is me but most drone doesnt bother me ...only when it starts to buildup a drone resonance in the cabin is it too much. If you cant have a normal convo in the cabin while driving thats no bueno

I think with any aftermarket exhaust without a resonator it will drone to some extent.

I had B&B without resonators into some canister style mufflers and I didnt have any crazy drone but I think I may be used to it.

Now I have 2.5" and no resonators, stock exhaust manifolds and an x pipe. I dont get any (to me?) drone on the highway at all. So far I am happy and it was about 350$

It actually drives pretty quiet until I put my foot on the pedal.
Old 08-31-2014, 10:45 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 93hatch
if yours is like mine its exactly at 2k RPM, also known as 50mph. It sucks
Just drove it again and yes it's really bad at 2000rpm and not too bad at 45~mph as long as i'm in 5th gear.

Originally Posted by Becker
sounds like 3" to me Maybe it is me but most drone doesnt bother me ...only when it starts to buildup a drone resonance in the cabin is it too much. If you cant have a normal convo in the cabin while driving thats no bueno

I think with any aftermarket exhaust without a resonator it will drone to some extent.

I had B&B without resonators into some canister style mufflers and I didnt have any crazy drone but I think I may be used to it.

Now I have 2.5" and no resonators, stock exhaust manifolds and an x pipe. I dont get any (to me?) drone on the highway at all. So far I am happy and it was about 350$

It actually drives pretty quiet until I put my foot on the pedal.
http://youtu.be/zX-29lbUCdw
That sounds really good and nowhere near as deep as mine which is my biggest concern right now. It almost sounds like a 4 banger with a fart can inside the car, not very pleasant to the ears.
Old 08-31-2014, 10:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I have the B&B sport as well as highflow cats and the stock manifolds. It is really quiet above 2k rpms but below that the drone is crazy. Especially in higher gears going uphill. I just don't use 6th below 60 mph and it's bearable. Other than 1500-2000 rpm in high gear, I was shocked by how quiet it turned out.
Old 08-31-2014, 10:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I also was very disappointed in how the 3" sounded.
Old 08-31-2014, 02:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

I do like it. And it sounds good overall. I just didn't expect it to be like this.
Old 08-31-2014, 02:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Right I understand, I custom ordered mine with louder mufflers and no resonators and they said "that should be quite loud for a daily driver, nobody has asked for something like this". and it was just very deep.. still sounded good though.

3" vs 2.5" both have a great sound on these ls engines, I have heard some I like more than others but it is all personal preference.
Old 08-31-2014, 05:03 PM
On The Tree

I guess they figured "hey it's a cadillac let's not make them that loud" Is Corsa any better or still super deep?
Old 08-31-2014, 05:04 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by isis
I do like it. And it sounds good overall. I just didn't expect it to be like this.
Yep, pretty much how i feel about it.
Old 08-31-2014, 07:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Corsa isnt as loud in my opinion because of the resonator and I believe it is 2.5" but with long tubes and resonator delete the corsa is quite loud.

this is my second V and the first one i spent 1000$ + on the exhaust...Sounded good but I dont think it gained any performance.
Now that im on my second V I decided to go a cheap route and keep the cost down but get a decent sound, thus the muffler delete and res delete all in all I think there is about 500$ wrapped up in the exhaust with labor.

to each is there own I suppose, your B&B sounds same as mine did. which got alot of compliments.
Old 08-31-2014, 09:51 PM
On The Tree

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Is the B&B sport come with the x-pipe or resonators? I picked up a used B&B catback that cam with an x-pipe.
Old 09-01-2014, 09:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by HtownV04
Is the B&B sport come with the x-pipe or resonators? I picked up a used B&B catback that cam with an x-pipe.
The sport is all 3" with an x pipe. It also has resonators in the front pipes.
Old 09-01-2014, 10:06 AM
On The Tree

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok. I don't have the resonator section though. Hopefully I'm not missing anything.
Old 09-01-2014, 10:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by HtownV04
Ok. I don't have the resonator section though. Hopefully I'm not missing anything.
I've seen a few mentions where people have cut the resonators out and just put in straight 3" pipes. They are in the pieces that attach your x-pipe to the individual stock cats or whatever. If you're going straight to headers I could easily see that section of pipe being different.
Old 09-01-2014, 10:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

believe it or not the resonators made zero change for me.. I got them and they ran into the floor board on the driver side. I paid to have them cut out and it changed nothing really.. when you look inside the resonators you could see right through them, never seen a resonator like it before honestly.
Old 09-01-2014, 11:28 AM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Becker
believe it or not the resonators made zero change for me.. I got them and they ran into the floor board on the driver side. I paid to have them cut out and it changed nothing really.. when you look inside the resonators you could see right through them, never seen a resonator like it before honestly.
might be why they call them resonators instead of mufflers.....believe they are there to cut down on resonant drone more than muffle...
Old 09-01-2014, 11:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Correct, resonators target specific exhaust frequencies. They are not meant to change volume, just control resonance...hence their name. The length of the resonator is main way to control which frequency it cancels/mitigates. You need long resonators for low frequencies.

Quick Reply: Got a bunch of stuff done, question on B&B