Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Where to buy stock replacement Brembo Pads (Gen 1 V)

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 07:48 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Where to buy stock replacement Brembo Pads (Gen 1 V)

Who has the best deal on these pads?

While I'm asking about pads...Any recommendations on a budget friendly, lower dust alternative that does not sacrifice too much stopping power? (Keeping my options open.)

Thanks.
Old 10-23-2014, 05:52 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ran the hawk low dust pads (hps?) for a while. They were almost as good as stock, but I still think stock had better bite. I went back to stock because I have an unlimited car wash subscription, lol. Got them from the stealership.
Old 10-23-2014, 07:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Anyone have a part number on the stock pads?
Old 10-23-2014, 09:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Rock auto.

They have all sorts of different pads. From AC delco to stoptechs. I just had new pads and rotors delivered. I like OEM or better. Centric makes OEM quality stuff and they are reasonably priced. I haven't swapped em yet, probably next week as I'm busy with other stuff this weekend.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...466&cc=1432726

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...362&cc=1432726
Old 10-24-2014, 02:11 AM
Launching!

I run the Hawk's too..... I like them, but they are a little dusty when your having fun
Old 10-24-2014, 08:22 AM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by -Ross-
Anyone have a part number on the stock pads?
Per the CTS-V FAQ, the fronts are 89047725 and rears are 89047744. The online parts search (like here - http://parts.nalleygmc.com) confirms those part numbers, and also lists them as ACDelco 171-0876 and 171-0882. You'll probably find the best pricing for those on Amazon.

As for other options, as ryrides said, there are tons of compounds out there. Most folks probably only have experience with a couple, so it might be hard to get much consensus on what other options match what you're looking for.

I don't know how the stock pads are for dust or performance, as I've never had them. Right now I'm running the other ACDelco pads, the Professional Durastop semi-metallics. Got them on wholesaler closeout on Rockauto for only $25, figured it couldn't hurt to try them out. They dust some, but not horrible. I've been very impressed by their performance for spirited street use - cold bite is excellent, and they take a little abuse without giving up.

Prior to these I had Hawk HPS - very little dust, but performance-wise they were terrible. They probably had 90%+ of their life left but I got rid of them because they were so bad. With that said, Hawk recently released a new HPS compound (HPS 5.0) that is supposed to be mo' better, but I can't see spending 3 or 4x as much for street pads when my $25 (normally ~$40) ACDelcos are working so well.
Old 10-24-2014, 09:07 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

considering the brakes for a street driving environment are awesome in general (i've not once pushed the pedal down aggressively or been in an emergency braking situation), i am kind of looking for the pad that dusts the least. it will probably lead me to some kind of ceramic.

i am unsure of what's on the car right now, but my lord are my front wheels dirtier than hell from brake dust. i can't go a week after i clean the wheels without them being completely full of dust again. it drives me nuts and i hate it.
Old 10-24-2014, 09:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

The ceramics dust less but they also have a lower coefficient of friction. So you will have to push harder. If you want to keep braking the same, get stock ones again and plasti dip you wheels black. I can't even see the dust on mine haha
Old 10-24-2014, 09:34 AM
TECH Resident

1) plastidip is the devil, hell no.

2) i will be getting aftermarket wheels in the future that i require to stay pretty clean in between car washes. and i don't wash my car that often because it's not black and it's my daily driver.
Old 10-24-2014, 09:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Unless you're racing ceramics FTMFW. It's true they don't grab as well when cold or initial bite.
Old 10-24-2014, 03:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I've always liked ceramics on a daily.

Black wheels hide dust but the rotors are so huge I actually get orange dust after a rain or wash. The wheels end up looking bronze half the time. No idea what pads the PO put on this thing but they dust like crazy and won't wear out so I can replace them.
Old 10-24-2014, 03:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ceramics are ok, but I honestly didn't like the set I had. They didn't get the wheel dirty but they also didn't seem to stop as well.
Old 10-24-2014, 03:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

What kind did you have? I used EBC Reds on my subarus.

I liked them a lot better than the hawk hps. Those were garbage IMO.
Old 10-24-2014, 03:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't know how the stock pads are for dust or performance, as I've never had them. Right now I'm running the other ACDelco pads, the Professional Durastop semi-metallics. Got them on wholesaler closeout on Rockauto for only $25, figured it couldn't hurt to try them out. They dust some, but not horrible. I've been very impressed by their performance for spirited street use - cold bite is excellent, and they take a little abuse without giving up.

Prior to these I had Hawk HPS - very little dust, but performance-wise they were terrible. They probably had 90%+ of their life left but I got rid of them because they were so bad. With that said, Hawk recently released a new HPS compound (HPS 5.0) that is supposed to be mo' better, but I can't see spending 3 or 4x as much for street pads when my $25 (normally ~$40) ACDelcos are working so well.
I have run the stock Brembos (first), the Durastop semi-metallics (second), and new HPS (now). The Brembos were better than all but dusted like hell. The new Hawks have been close to Brembo performance but MUCH less dust. In some recent canyon driving (not pushing extremely hard due to too many pedestrians popping along the road) they did very well. I will know more after this weekend. The reason I gave the Hawks another try is recent very good luck with them on my wife's solstice. By FAAAAR the best value was the Durastops but they faded with prolonged spirited driving (Tail of the Dragon http://www.roadandtrack.com/features...peciale-dragon brought these to their knees). They and the Brembos seemed to have issue in initial bite when raining. Haven't had the Hawks out in the rain. This initial bite issue could be a result of the large rotor not shedding water but it scared the crap out of me a few times.

BTW - I would agree with the earlier comments about the Hawks. The only reason I tried them on the Solstice was I got a GREAT deal. I had these on the Solstice on the Tail of the Dragon and the braking was awesome. NO FADE. We'll see have they do with a much heavier car.
Old 10-24-2014, 06:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Sssnake
I have run the stock Brembos (first), the Durastop semi-metallics (second), and new HPS (now).
By "new HPS" I assume you mean the HPS 5.0s? If so, it sounds like they're a helluva lot better than the original HPSs.
Old 10-24-2014, 09:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by isis
What kind did you have? I used EBC Reds on my subarus.

I liked them a lot better than the hawk hps. Those were garbage IMO.
If your question was directed at me, I used hawks I think. But that was about a decade ago, i was going between hawks and ebc pads trying to find a good one. It was a part time autocrosser. They were alright. I wasn't all that impressed. I like the OEM pads on the Cadillac. But I've got a set of para-aramid stoptechs and atoptech slotted rotors sitting in the garage right now. My first set if stoptech pads so hopefully they work out good.
Old 10-24-2014, 10:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

With my O'Reilly ceramics (lol yes) I also get the scary no-response in the rain if I haven't use the brakes for a while on the highway. It lasts about .25 seconds but feels like you have wood brakes until the water is spun off and pads heat up. I believe it will be a lot better with the drilled rotors I am now running. We will see.
Old 10-24-2014, 11:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

By "new HPS" I assume you mean the HPS 5.0s?
Yep HPS 5.0, much better than the last batch I used (regular HPS). Like I said I would prefer to run them a bit on the cadi before making any GREATproclamations but they worked very well on the lighter Solstice.

For me these will only get street use. Different rotors and pads for track. But my street use is pretty intense.
Old 10-25-2014, 08:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MN_V
With my O'Reilly ceramics (lol yes) I also get the scary no-response in the rain if I haven't use the brakes for a while on the highway. It lasts about .25 seconds but feels like you have wood brakes until the water is spun off and pads heat up. I believe it will be a lot better with the drilled rotors I am now running. We will see.
I get that in the rain with whatever is on my car right now. But they sure as hell aren't ceramics by the amount of dust.

Quick Reply: Where to buy stock replacement Brembo Pads (Gen 1 V)