Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

2010 cts wagon (3.6) burn project underway (V2 lsa swap) not pretty

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2014, 01:19 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ls1247
7K isn't a bad profit if you can talk someone into buying it. Not trying to be a dick here but I wouldn't touch that with a 10 foot pole after it were fixed because every, and I mean every, bolt and wire on that car will be touched before its all over. Are the V wagon and the V sedan fuel systems the same? You'll find something you didn't count on, trust me.

Then I'd be a little concerned about what heat does to sheetmetal...that roof lookin a little scary to me. Why does my windshield leak?

I'd part out the cars, make almost the same money and walk away from it because I just wouldn't want my name or reputation professionally attached to a car that's been reconstructed that heavily. You could sell the front clip, the drivetrain and wheels of the V for 12K and scrap the rest for another 500 bucks or so.
No offense taken but you obviously never rebuilt a car before, nor watch one start to finish. What makes you think the windshield is going to leak? Why on earth would we not repair this? Just watch this build thread from start to finish then ask me again.

Not sure yet if it will get kept or sold, either way it wont be sold for less than 27k. If you look at the red genesis coupe a few post back we sold that car for one hell of a profit and it was worse than the V. Not too worried about nobody not wanting it, we have done plenty (7) burn cars and its not a big deal.
Old 11-25-2014, 02:24 PM
TECH Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Zach,

Mind sharing your location ?

The body shop is a steal for the amount of work they are going to be doing!
Old 11-25-2014, 03:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Fast02Z06
No offense taken but you obviously never rebuilt a car before, nor watch one start to finish. What makes you think the windshield is going to leak? Why on earth would we not repair this? Just watch this build thread from start to finish then ask me again.

Not sure yet if it will get kept or sold, either way it wont be sold for less than 27k. If you look at the red genesis coupe a few post back we sold that car for one hell of a profit and it was worse than the V. Not too worried about nobody not wanting it, we have done plenty (7) burn cars and its not a big deal.
Have you ever been to an auto assembly plant? I just walked in the door from the body shop at the BMW plant here in Greenville where they were recalibrating the ISRAM system that checks the dimensional accuracy of the body's used in the production of the X3, X5 and X6.

Because I work in an auto assembly plant, I can tell you that you can't put that car back together as well as it's done here or at any other assembly plant. You just can't. Argue all you want and as nice as that Hyundai looks, it won't be as well built as it was when it was first put together. I wouldn't suggest to anyone I know (after over 30 years of automotive experience) to buy a car that has been assembled once at the plant when new, burned, disassembled and then reassembled again.

Selling "burn cars" and making a profit from it is one thing because it isn't hard to make a car look good. But is it possible that at least one of them has developed some sort of issue on down the road? Are you keeping track of these cars? Do these people report back to you that there is some sort of wind noise or some such mess because you couldn't foam the inner A pillar structure because you don't have the $50K tooling the manufacturer has to get that last little spot that wound up as a molten blob on the floor of the car?

No, they come looking for a guy like me and I have to give them the news that they'll just have to live with it because the problem is that you didn't even know that "little piece of foam" or whatever else it was that was missing in the first place. A car that has been rebuilt will have more issues than one that hasn't. Period.

But perhaps the biggest reason not to build this car is because you can make as much or more with less risk by simply parting it out.
Old 11-25-2014, 07:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I agree that building and selling to make a profit is "different". I thought he was going to be keeping it by his first post enthusiasm.

My car makes wind noises on the freeway, where do I find this little piece of foam at?

hahha, all jokes aside I think there is still a market for someone to want to buy that car when it is fixed. Will they know about its past? Maybe not, but that wont stop a guy who really wants a good deal on a salvaged V......even if it is 5 people he still has some chance to make a profit. I for one would never do all of that for the profit, I would gut it and turn it into a monster....

I could only imagine the BMW assembly is pretty awesome and impressive.
Old 11-25-2014, 08:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've purchased salvage title vehicles (well, vehicle) before and had good luck.

As long as the car functions properly in all respects and has been sufficiently discounted in price, it can be a great way to go.
Old 11-25-2014, 08:30 PM
Staging Lane

Have you ever been to an auto assembly plant? I just walked in the door from the body shop at the BMW plant here in Greenville where they were recalibrating the ISRAM system that checks the dimensional accuracy of the body's used in the production of the X3, X5 and X6.

Because I work in an auto assembly plant, I can tell you that you can't put that car back together as well as it's done here or at any other assembly plant. You just can't. Argue all you want and as nice as that Hyundai looks, it won't be as well built as it was when it was first put together. I wouldn't suggest to anyone I know (after over 30 years of automotive experience) to buy a car that has been assembled once at the plant when new, burned, disassembled and then reassembled again.

Selling "burn cars" and making a profit from it is one thing because it isn't hard to make a car look good. But is it possible that at least one of them has developed some sort of issue on down the road? Are you keeping track of these cars? Do these people report back to you that there is some sort of wind noise or some such mess because you couldn't foam the inner A pillar structure because you don't have the $50K tooling the manufacturer has to get that last little spot that wound up as a molten blob on the floor of the car?

No, they come looking for a guy like me and I have to give them the news that they'll just have to live with it because the problem is that you didn't even know that "little piece of foam" or whatever else it was that was missing in the first place. A car that has been rebuilt will have more issues than one that hasn't. Period.

But perhaps the biggest reason not to build this car is because you can make as much or more with less risk by simply parting it out.
Again once more you are incorrect. You can use your age (hence 30 years exp) all you want to but you are definitely mistaken that the cars are not just as perfect as factory) previous to the fire. Wtf are you talking about foam and wind noise?

Secondly yes I do keep track of all the buyers, as a matter of fact my friend we are selling a second burn car (2012 sti) to a repeat customer who bought a salvaged civic si from us. No sir, no wind noise, no frame damage, no warped frame etc. Jesus christ I dont get some people and where you gather your info from. The car is not being parted out, and yes I will eventually sell it and make a very nice profit if I choose to. Unless you are here monitering my build in person please keep silly comments such as yours to yourself because you are not correct in any of your comments, thanks
Old 11-25-2014, 08:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

That should be an easy plug and play, especially with the two cars you have on hand.....

Good Luck!!!!!

Let me know if you need any help!
Old 11-25-2014, 09:35 PM
TECH Regular

Haters be damned....now get to sanding!
Old 11-26-2014, 05:24 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 54inches
That should be an easy plug and play, especially with the two cars you have on hand.....

Good Luck!!!!!

Let me know if you need any help!
Thanks man, I appreciate it and am stoked to say the least. It will nkt be a walk in the park but is definitely not painstaking neither. We are hoping to start sooner but the body guy is finishing up the 2011 sti burn then has 2 of his own cars (insurance jobs) he has to finish before starting the caddy. I promise to post plenty of pics start to finish and document the entire build here for reference in the event someone might do something similar in the future.
Old 11-26-2014, 06:27 AM
TECH Addict

If you have ever seen a "body in white" or even know what it is, you'd would understand what was lost on that car when it burnt to that extent. And it's because you don't even know what I'm talking about that reinforces my view that it won't be the car it once was.

You call it hating and that's fine because people often hate what they don't understand.

Yes, there have been many successful salvage rebuilds but there have been just as many, if not more, unsuccessful ones. And they usually wind up in the hands of those who don't know any better or can't afford to fix them and I'm guessing that's what none of the rest of you have had to experience. You've never had to tell a single mother of 3 that her car was reconstructed POS and that she wasted the last bit of her husbands life insurance money on it because in my 30 years of experience, I actually had to repair crap like this....if you haven't been that guy, you don't know.

If you want to keep it yourself, I get it. Fun project, fast car, lot cheaper than buying one, pride of ownership. I just wouldn't suggest anyone I know to buy it thinking its going to be the car it once was because I'm in the unique position to know it isn't.
Old 11-26-2014, 10:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The guy is being completely open and detailed about the work that's been/being done. Everybody knows an R title is a risk, that's why they're cheaper. Why clog up his build thread with all the detailed negativity? He's not asking you to sell it to your mom.
Old 11-26-2014, 10:44 AM
Staging Lane

If you have ever seen a "body in white" or even know what it is, you'd would understand what was lost on that car when it burnt to that extent. And it's because you don't even know what I'm talking about that reinforces my view that it won't be the car it once was.

You call it hating and that's fine because people often hate what they don't understand.

Yes, there have been many successful salvage rebuilds but there have been just as many, if not more, unsuccessful ones. And they usually wind up in the hands of those who don't know any better or can't afford to fix them and I'm guessing that's what none of the rest of you have had to experience. You've never had to tell a single mother of 3 that her car was reconstructed POS and that she wasted the last bit of her husbands life insurance money on it because in my 30 years of experience, I actually had to repair crap like this....if you haven't been that guy, you don't know.

If you want to keep it yourself, I get it. Fun project, fast car, lot cheaper than buying one, pride of ownership. I just wouldn't suggest anyone I know to buy it thinking its going to be the car it once was because I'm in the unique position to know it isn't.
Ok ok ok I get it man, you been there and done that and know 98% of rebuilt salvages are worthless junk not done right. Can you just please stay the Hell off my thread man? I promise not to sell the car to you or anyone you know Jesus :-/
Old 11-26-2014, 11:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Lots of pics dude... I want to see this thing go from start to finish. While its all apart, have you though about caging it or anything?

after over 30 years of automotive experience
But he still has a problem figuring out his driveshaft.
Old 11-26-2014, 11:45 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ryridesmotox
But he still has a problem figuring out his driveshaft.
Nice one ry! I don't have a problem admitting when I partially wrong and while the driveshaft still isn't perfect, I was 90% right about the harmonics.
Old 11-26-2014, 12:19 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by isis
The guy is being completely open and detailed about the work that's been/being done. Everybody knows an R title is a risk, that's why they're cheaper. Why clog up his build thread with all the detailed negativity? He's not asking you to sell it to your mom.
The terrorist is right...
Old 11-26-2014, 12:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by fweasel
The terrorist is right...
0:,-(>
Old 11-26-2014, 01:55 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by isis
Everybody knows an R title is a risk, that's why they're cheaper.
Gear heads will know, the general public, not so much.

Negativity? This man is saying he can rebuild this car to as good as it was before it was burnt...not true IMHO.

Good Luck with the build.
Old 11-27-2014, 02:29 AM
Launching!

no point arguing with ls1234, I didn't read all his garbage posts but let me guess. He disagrees with everyone and based on his 100 years of "experience" that isn't even relevant to the conversation he says this can't be done or you can't use aftermarket parts?

Def looks like a challenge and I will follow along to see how how it turns out
Old 11-27-2014, 03:52 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by TeamSorad
no point arguing with ls1234, I didn't read all his garbage posts but let me guess. He disagrees with everyone and based on his 100 years of "experience" that isn't even relevant to the conversation he says this can't be done or you can't use aftermarket parts?

Def looks like a challenge and I will follow along to see how how it turns out

Lol exactly man but I'm completely done with his nonsense and am simply not giving him any more of my energy. Thanks too for the support, yessir it is a challenge but we are perfectionist and will fall short of nothing less. We actually enjoy challenges , hope this will help somebody else in the future with a similar build .
Old 11-27-2014, 10:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm intrigued with the build follow for sure and nothing else ..... Where did u find the cars,

Quick Reply: 2010 cts wagon (3.6) burn project underway (V2 lsa swap) not pretty