Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

If it meant a 30% Discount on insurance........

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 06:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Default If it meant a 30% Discount on insurance........

Would you drive nice and calmly (I guess that is safe?) for 90 days and Install a snapshot/right track device in your V?

They say that it cannot hurt, and only help Obviously I have my doubts, especially when I renew my policy later and am labeled a high risk driver (allegedly).

Now apparently, it only tracks speed, acceleration, and deceleration No GPS so it does not actually know where you are.

Either way, my V has one currently installed, and since it is winter (kinda) here, and its not a true daily driver I figured I would give it a shot.

In one day it has made me realize how much other drivers truly make it hard to drive safely. Or at least in DFW metroplex traffic So much for not decelerating quickly, thanks guy who thinks every lane except their own is faster.

Oh, and apparently if it is removed during the 90 days it restarts the process

Edit: I went straight chick with the smileys there huh? Damn it!

Thoughts?

Last edited by NIKDSC5; 01-15-2015 at 06:57 PM. Reason: Edit: I went straight chick with the smileys there huh? :lol: Damn it!
Old 01-15-2015, 08:01 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

lol, I tried this for about 3-4 days then I let it sit. lowered my insurance by like 60$ a month.
Old 01-15-2015, 10:29 PM
TECH Resident

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

As long as it can't sense airtime I'd say you have a shot!
Old 01-16-2015, 10:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

i know i would F it up. i wouldn't be able to resist chasing down that 5.bro, srt, or whatever. my insurance is cheap as hell anyway. so i just
Old 01-16-2015, 02:02 PM
TECH Addict

I wonder if it tracks the G meter, since it is available in the V? Probably not, if it did that would take all the fun out of driving.

Other than the other non-insurance related things they have yet to figure out how to track I.E.: eating, cell phone use, blarring radio, etc etc.
Old 01-16-2015, 03:12 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It could easily have an accelerometer inside of it like cell phones do. Ithat would give it all kinds of information, especially brake application. Then theres Throttle position sensor and speedo.
Just those three things could give them a ton of info as to how the vehicle is operated.
Old 01-16-2015, 03:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

90 days seems like a long time to behave. I'd go for 30. My insurance is cheap too so whatever.
Old 01-16-2015, 11:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Kswish74
lol, I tried this for about 3-4 days then I let it sit. lowered my insurance by like 60$ a month.
$60 a month!? What were you paying? Currently my cars are in storage ($10 a month), but before I was paying $95 /month for full coverage on my V1 and SRT8 Jeep.

As for using the device. If you can time it for a period that you won't drive much, it could be worth it.
Old 01-16-2015, 11:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

$473/yr for me here in MN. Full coverage, $500 deductibles, full glass and tow coverage. No snapshot device offered or needed...
Old 01-17-2015, 05:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

I did this in my Impala. It detects hard stops/fast acceleration. No real idea on how it determines it, but if you have to emergency brake for any reason, you lose %.
Old 01-17-2015, 09:02 AM
Staging Lane

My wife is a progressive sales agent, told her to get me one for the 9c1 caprice so i could take it to the track for a day. She said no. lol
Old 01-19-2015, 02:12 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by hefftone
It could easily have an accelerometer inside of it like cell phones do. Ithat would give it all kinds of information, especially brake application. Then theres Throttle position sensor and speedo.
Just those three things could give them a ton of info as to how the vehicle is operated.
Yeah, but I'm curious to see how it logs things. Like......Lets say I slow down to a near stop, but then just accelerate back to 35. Does it log that I just coasted through that stop sign?

At any rate, I could see these getting more advanced in the future and have GPS tracking skills to determine if you are indeed speeding or not. I mean there are roads in Texas @ 80 MPH speed limit.

Also, shouldn't there be a way to tell them hey, I'm going to a track day. Tell them the day so they can log it? Wouldn't that be safe driving? Getting your (I wanna go fast) needs done at the track?
Originally Posted by isis
90 days seems like a long time to behave. I'd go for 30. My insurance is cheap too so whatever.
Yeah....but I'm paying 125$ a month just for the V? I'm 30, and have had zero tickets in the past 5 years. (knock on wood)

Originally Posted by UnsafeAtAnySpd
$60 a month!? What were you paying? Currently my cars are in storage ($10 a month), but before I was paying $95 /month for full coverage on my V1 and SRT8 Jeep.

As for using the device. If you can time it for a period that you won't drive much, it could be worth it.
That was my question too! ^60$ a month is a lot! Even more if you assume he didn't get the full 30% off, because I highly doubt anyone has gotten that. Just seems all but impossible for me. Even grandma has to jab the brakes now and again for an idiot....no?

Also, that is cheap insurance for both of those vehicles! Carrier?

Originally Posted by LAYGO
I did this in my Impala. It detects hard stops/fast acceleration. No real idea on how it determines it, but if you have to emergency brake for any reason, you lose %.
And......? When you did it in your impala did you get a discount?
Old 01-20-2015, 02:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NIKDSC5
Also, that is cheap insurance for both of those vehicles! Carrier?
It was through GIECO. They have good military discounted rates (I switched away from USAA).
Old 01-20-2015, 04:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by UnsafeAtAnySpd
It was through GIECO. They have good military discounted rates (I switched away from USAA).
Thats interesting. I'm 31, and my insurance is 130/ month for my V1 and my Impala SS combined. Full coverage on both (even though the Impala is Paid off) and $100 deductible. Towing, vandalism, all that included. Shows you how much it varies from area to area.
Old 01-21-2015, 09:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GA95DCMSS
Thats interesting. I'm 31, and my insurance is 130/ month for my V1 and my Impala SS combined. Full coverage on both (even though the Impala is Paid off) and $100 deductible. Towing, vandalism, all that included. Shows you how much it varies from area to area.
Pretty sure my deductibles were higher, but yeah, it might be higher now when I go to up my insurance back to full coverage. The other day I got a quote from State Farm because I'm buying a house and they included the two vehicles for $125 a month.
Old 01-23-2015, 09:53 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MN_V
$473/yr for me here in MN. Full coverage, $500 deductibles, full glass and tow coverage. No snapshot device offered or needed...
That is about what I pay through Allstate, who do you use?
Old 01-23-2015, 10:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Lbar
That is about what I pay through Allstate, who do you use?
Geico. USAA I had for years but for the cts-v they were more. I think they were closer to about $750ish a year. They must pay attention to all the crashed V1's on facebook along with their acknowledgement that it is a high performance/hp car.
Old 01-23-2015, 10:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MN_V
Geico. USAA I had for years but for the cts-v they were more. I think they were closer to about $750ish a year. They must pay attention to all the crashed V1's on facebook along with their acknowledgement that it is a high performance/hp car.
Yeah, I'm probably partially to blame. I totalled my first V while I still had USAA. Sorry.
Old 01-24-2015, 12:21 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With all this talk about payment.... You have to keep in mind the liabaility coverage limits, collision/ comp deductibles too! Uninsured/underinsured motorist
I always get these teaser rates, but when I ask apples to apples for same $$$ coverage.... There is hardly any difference. I carry a lot of coverage.
I'd put the snapshot on my wife's altima for 90 days....but for the V I'd want to know if it reads/detects traction/stabilty, TPS. I'm real easy on the brakes, but I do enjoy prodigious throttle application.
Old 01-25-2015, 06:05 PM
Staging Lane

I had to do it with my Subaru sti, it just happened that I lost my license the same time that it came in. so I just left it sit in there and didn't drive it. lowered my monthly payment by 75$ lol

Quick Reply: If it meant a 30% Discount on insurance........