Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

end links for really low cars

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 01:35 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default end links for really low cars

long story short, my coilovers are en route and i know for certain that the stock end links will not be usable. that being said Z06 end links are going to be too long as well.

the powergrid end links seem like the next go to choice even though they're mighty expensive for an end link...

however, are the powergrid end links adjustable to be short enough for a car that's going to be very low (less than 25" ground to fender)? if not, which i assume is the case, what're my options then? cut the heim joints down even further so that i can use a shorter stud between the two ends?

stolen picture of powergrid end links:

Old 01-20-2015, 02:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run powergrids but this thread is relevant: https://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-...end-links.html
Old 01-20-2015, 03:18 PM
TECH Resident

straight from powergrid:

Originally Posted by me
I am wondering about the adjustability of them. What are the minimum and maximum lengths they can achieve as you sell them? Would you offer a different overall length if desired?

I am going to be lowering my car pretty much and know for a fact that the stock endlinks (or even Z06 endlinks) are going to be too long by a good amount.
Originally Posted by powergrid
unfortunately the shortest center distance that we can do is 90 millimeters, which is about the Corvette center distance. We've had great success with this especially with a hotchkis front bar. These are required when using a hotchkis bar because of the 12 millimeter mounting holes it. Production cts-v is 10 millimeter mounting studs 100 millimeter center distance
so....crap. i'm going to have to figure out a better solution.

miata or supra endlinks seem to be the next step so long as i can figure out what lengths i'm actually going to need.
Old 01-20-2015, 07:18 PM
TECH Resident

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I used Steinjager z06 end links(spelling may be off). They are adjustable, 3" as received, and could be cut down to 2.5", maybe a little less.
Old 01-20-2015, 08:48 PM
TECH Resident

i'm leery of anything with spherical joints. i daily drive my car and when the race starts to get junk in it and wears out i'm just going to have to buy another set of end links.

i'd rather some form of sealed, gasketed joint like shown above.
Old 01-20-2015, 10:01 PM
TECH Resident

i think i am going to give these guys a whirl:

http://www.racingbeat.com/RX8/Sway-Bars/54203.html

out of the box they should go a hair shorter than 90mm (~Z06 end link length) and if i swap out the nuts on the center rod with something more lower profile, swap in a fully threaded rod, etc. (light modification) i should be able to get it down to 75mm ish, rough guess. i believe that should get me where i want with the sway bars and i won't have to worry about excessive preload on the sway bar or breaking stock ones.
Old 01-21-2015, 11:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

After I broke my powergrids I switched to these
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008SBUTPY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008SBUTPY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They are 3-3/4" to 4-3/4" adjustable links. They have been OK so far. Some might find the adjustment a PIA as you have to disconnect one end to adjust them but they are actually easier than the powergrids were... I suspect you could cut these down to get even lower but I have not tried.
Old 01-21-2015, 01:10 PM
TECH Resident

it seems like most of them are going to be the same style of adjustment where you need to remove one side to adjust them. that's not a big deal to me since really you only do it once and it's done.

those are interesting, but i'm fairly sure i want some sort or radial joint on them and not a static poly bushing. those seem like they'd bind pretty bad.
Old 01-21-2015, 01:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Bio248
i'm leery of anything with spherical joints. i daily drive my car and when the race starts to get junk in it and wears out i'm just going to have to buy another set of end links.

i'd rather some form of sealed, gasketed joint like shown above.
I had a set of sphericals on an MR2 turbo I daily drove for almost 7 years and they were still quite when I sold it....not many good options on that car and I didn't think they would have lasted anywhere near that long so I was surprised.
Old 01-21-2015, 01:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

They are a ball in socket joint. Metal ball poly socket.
Old 01-21-2015, 02:08 PM
TECH Resident

at the price point they come in i am probably still better off with the racing beat ones i posted above that'll get me a shorter overall link as well as sticking with the enclosed spherical joints.
Old 01-21-2015, 02:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

it seems like most of them are going to be the same style of adjustment where you need to remove one side to adjust them. that's not a big deal to me since really you only do it once and it's done
The powergrids can be adjusted without removing one of the ends. There is a flat on the threaded rod that allows you to extend or retract the rod.
Old 01-21-2015, 02:44 PM
TECH Resident

ah, i didn't know there was a spot for a wrench in the center stud. either way it doesn't necessarily sway my position. the powergrid units can only be made in the 90mm minimum length which is longer than what i'm going to need.
Old 01-21-2015, 02:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I have the Supra links that I plan on giving a try. I only need to figure out the front though. The rears will be on the CS lower control arm since I plan on setting it up as a true coil over in the rear. Lose a couple of pounds while I'm at it.
Old 01-21-2015, 03:29 PM
TECH Resident

you're going to maintain some form of normal ride height, though (i'd assume). the supra and miata end links seem to come in about the same lengths based on my research.
Old 01-21-2015, 03:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Bio248
you're going to maintain some form of normal ride height, though (i'd assume). the supra and miata end links seem to come in about the same lengths based on my research.
I will def be lower. Not slammed, but at least an inch in the front. I already accepted that the supra end links need to be cut down to work, and I'm ok with that. Fuzzylogic did it, I can't remember which thread (or if he left it alone on here). Also, last I knew he was working on a new set of end links just for this reason. I remember them being pricey but probably worth it.

Just check (mods you can delete this if it is a violation, to which if it is I apologize) that site he was trying to launch. Fairly sure it is over there.
Old 01-21-2015, 03:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

RB 14203 http://www.racingbeat.com/RX8/Sway-Bars/14203.html
Old 01-21-2015, 04:04 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Sssnake
they max 10mm stud versions that are shorter than those ones already so they'd bolt right up instead of me having to drill out my sway bar.

http://www.racingbeat.com/RX8/Sway-Bars/54203.html

remember, i'm wanting really short ones since i'll probably be a good 3-4" lower than stock.
Old 01-21-2015, 05:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I remember. I should have been more specific in my previous post. It was directed at NIKDSC5. He mentioned endlinks that a banned forum member was using. I provided a link for those endlinks.
Old 01-21-2015, 05:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

BTW - 3" to 4" shorter tan stock is tucking pretty good. I am not sure what size rim/tire combo you are running but if you can go that low without having rubbing when the steering is turned I would be very surprised. But then again I know a lot of guys seem to live with it.

Quick Reply: end links for really low cars