Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

stroker......... again

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 01:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've definitely seen larger lift and duration in these motors. But since in doing 90% of this myself, I didn't wasn't to deal with any PTV issues. Just for an extra measure of safety I went with -4cc valve reliefs. The heads should be back next week. They are getting ported. Originally I wasn't going to have that done, but the price I was given, couldn't pass it up. It's a "max" street port. Since stock ls3 heads flow in the 330s on the intake side, and that's more than enough for 600hp, I'm echoed to see what these will do. They are also getting matched to the 102 intake. Also getting a 3 angle valve job. I'm hoping to save the stock valves for now. I'm a little over budget at this point. The rotating assembly should also be here next week. Got a little delayed waiting for pistons.

I'm stating to get excited about it again. All I have right now are boxes and boxes of sensors and gaskets and stuff like that. It's going to be nice to actually get the internals shipped
Old 03-19-2015, 01:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Missed your last question...

Looking to be together in about 2 weeks... hopefully. As I noted in the previous reply, should have all the major motor parts in next week. I'll drop them off at the machinist on Tuesday, hopefully. Then I'll have a few days to actually get of my *** and drop the tank to do the dw300, all the lines and hotwire kit. Then the last major thing is the suspension. I'll call next week and see where they are at with that.

I got a few track days coming up this summer, hopefully she does well on the road courses, that's mainly what I did all this for after all. I'll be setting the alignment up for the aggressive street specs on the forums here. A few guts noted that it performed quite well with a stock suspension, so hopefully the new socks and springs will be a further improvement.
Old 03-19-2015, 09:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bmylez
People have differing definitions of "big"....I consider my Torquer to be medium-ish. Yours is definitely leaning toward big-ish, hah.
Does the size of the motor play a big part in being able to run a larger cam with less shake, or is that just related to helping it idle better?
Old 03-19-2015, 09:46 AM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

The motor no, since it should be balanced. Now things that effect shake would be compression ratio, cam, and idle rpm. Anything other than that causing a shake is a problem.
Old 03-19-2015, 09:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NIKDSC5
The motor no, since it should be balanced. Now things that effect shake would be compression ratio, cam, and idle rpm. Anything other than that causing a shake is a problem.
Does a 427 with a 240s cam shake the same as a 346 with a 240s cam? I thought the bigger motor would shake less. Both with same compression ratio and idle rpm. Was i mistaken?
Old 03-19-2015, 09:58 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Goosecaddy05
Does a 427 with a 240s cam shake the same as a 346 with a 240s cam? I thought the bigger motor would shake less. Both with same compression ratio and idle rpm. Was i mistaken?
same compression same cam and same idle, there should be no difference. Both motors rotating assembly's should be balanced. So the size or cubic inch really should not matter.

Edit: having a different stroke length will give a different feeling vibration, deeper vs faster. Think of a liter bike tiny stroke compared to a 4" stroked LS
Old 03-19-2015, 10:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

same compression same cam and same idle, there should be no difference. Both motors rotating assembly's should be balanced. So the size or cubic inch really should not matter.

Edit: having a different stroke length will give a different feeling vibration, deeper vs faster. Think of a liter bike tiny stroke compared to a 4" stroked LS
ahh cool, I learned something. Thanks Nik
Old 03-30-2015, 03:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Got the manifold, throttle body, and some other small parts in. The heads and rotating assembly will be back next week.
Attached Thumbnails stroker......... again-forumrunner_20150330_132259.jpg  
Old 03-31-2015, 11:01 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ryridesmotox
Got the manifold, throttle body, and some other small parts in. The heads and rotating assembly will be back next week.
You got more than me so far but I specified I did not want piece-meal shipping. My stuff will be finalized with the porting this week - still a ton of stuff to gather up.
Old 03-31-2015, 11:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

I don't care how it all gets here, as long as it gets here. I wish the rotating assembly would have come in though. But I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel. Gonna call Vogtland tomorrow and see about the suspension. Fingers crossed, it will be here soon.
Old 04-02-2015, 04:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

For those that are waiting on the fuel system recall... Don't wait. I took mine apart today and you could clearly see heat damage on the bulkhead connector for the fuel pump wires. The first attachment is the underside of the plastic bulkhead. There is one pin that is especially bad, I'll assume that's for the fuel pump energy supply. I hadn't had any outright stalling, but I did have an extra clunk or two at low speed. The connector may have been the culprit. The second picture is the harness socket that plugs into the bulkhead. Both are the in-tank side. It didn't seem that any damage had occurred on the outer connector (outside the tank).

And man that lock ring was a BITCH to get off
Old 04-14-2015, 04:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Got some stuff in, backordered parts, people doing builds for race season I guess. Anyways, DSS forged pistons, and in house Blue Pitt Kustoms (BPK) rods made by Crower, and a BPK in house 4 inch stroker crank (GMPP blank).

Old 04-22-2015, 09:54 PM
TECH Regular

Just got the word...my goodies ship tomorrow! I'll start my build thread when it arrives.
Old 05-07-2015, 10:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

My stuff is all at the machinist now. I am having the worst luck with this build right now... First all the delays waiting for backordered pistons and bearings, now... The machinist hurt his back moving an iron big block around the shop and has to take a few days off. I'm not even joking.

Last edited by ryridesmotox; 05-07-2015 at 10:32 AM.
Old 05-07-2015, 10:31 AM
TECH Addict

My stuff is all at the machinist now. I am having the worst luck with this build right now... First all the delays waiting for backordered pistons and bearings, now... The machinish hurt his back moving an iron big block around the shop and has to take a few days off. I'm not even joking.
I mean....not to throw salt in the wounds but.....woot! Mine might be done before yours! haha Just kidding, that sucks to hear sir.

My motor is about to be final assembled, dropped the trans off Tuesday at TDP for stage 2 rebuild, and the heads are about to be shipped out. Only thing I feel which will delay my side is the headers coming back from coating. I'm waiting for my welder to fix them so I can ship them out. And I'm not sure how long AI takes to finish and send heads back so there is that as well. I know I'm getting excited! Took me this long after the car has been paid to come up with the $ for this build.

then I'm looking for Alradco, Hotchkis sways, CS trailing arms and lower control arms, etc etc the modding never stops!

Oh, and I guess my build thread is living vicariously through yours
Old 05-07-2015, 10:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Right on. At least someone is finishing up. Jaysen is doing his too. Can't wait to see people's results. I'm not even mad anymore. I'm just like wtf ever, can't change it, gotta just push through. Its just hard... I'm literally feeling depressed cuz I haven't had my V in my life for so long. Ugh, I need to feel the power... Like when Major Kong is riding the nuke in Dr. Strangelove... I need to feel the powa
Old 05-07-2015, 10:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

https://youtu.be/snTaSJk0n_Y
Old 05-07-2015, 10:27 PM
TECH Regular

Right on. At least someone is finishing up. Jaysen is doing his too. Can't wait to see people's results. I'm not even mad anymore. I'm just like wtf ever, can't change it, gotta just push through. Its just hard... I'm literally feeling depressed cuz I haven't had my V in my life for so long. Ugh, I need to feel the power... Like when Major Kong is riding the nuke in Dr. Strangelove... I need to feel the powa
I seem to be the one losing to all the late models lately so I need to speed up my efforts. My stuff has arrived and I'm getting all the gaskets, bolts, and associated "stuff" to get it installed. I gotta paint my new 102 intake...
Old 05-18-2015, 03:41 PM
TECH Addict

So my tranny is over at TDP getting the stage two rebuild, and it turns out it needs A LOT of work. It never vibrated or caused an issue but it was bad enough that I needed a whole new main shaft, reverse gear (finding reverse on the highway twice that I can remember) and 6th gear. 1-4 were almost perfect if that makes any sense. Anyway, I would have never known. While I'm out another 900$ of unplanned money, at least I can rest easy knowing the trans will be new!
Old 05-18-2015, 08:26 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While I'm out another 900$ of unplanned money, at least I can rest easy knowing the trans will be new!
That's how these things go. I had my Katech C5R timing chain break 1/8th mile from the shop when I picked up my new 402...took out two of my brand new valves and all of the timing stuff on the front of the motor. You'll be happy in the end, don't forget it or you'll go crazy!!

Quick Reply: stroker......... again