Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Fuel pressure regulator plumbing

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 11:16 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel pressure regulator plumbing

Time to do my fuel system upgrade, then its finally tune time. Doing a similar set up to Philistines set up. Minus a pump, but with a areomotive 340 with a kb boost a pump instead. I did buy all the hardware to add a second pump if needed.
My question is on plumbing in the fuel pressure regulator, I currently have a Y feed into the rails, and was wondering about keeping it that way
instead of this, like Philistines set up, which is the way I assume most do it.

This is a Y fed set up....

But to keep things neat and clean, I was thinking of plumbing it like this,
with a tee off one end of the rails with one line going to the regulator.

Does anybody see a problem with plumbing it this way as opposed to the other methods? I am hoping to get even flow and pressure to all teh injectors, but does it not matter as much when a fpr is added after the rails?

Also for a boosted application would It be best to use the boost/vaccum line on the FPR? or is that something you just tune around? se3eing as its not really a stand alone system.
Old 02-18-2015, 11:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depends on your regulator. Some are designed to regulate differently I guess. I am using fuelab stuff. My intention is to run from my DW300 to the bay through a -8an 6 micron filter, then T to the rails with -6an. Then -6 to the regulator, the fuellab regulator has 2 input ports and 1 return port. So each rail has its own line and is more or less independently regulated. Your regulator should have some instructions on how its intended to be plumbed. By buddy has a mangafuel regulator on his car and it calls to be put in between the pump and the rails.

I'm going to do a variation of your last picture. But my regulator and filter are going to be bolted to the battery tray, I'm intending on relocating my battery to the trunk while my engine bay is empty
Old 02-18-2015, 12:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Is there some type of problem with the setup in the first picture? I mean, that would be the cleanest way right? Def has the least parts.
Old 02-18-2015, 12:10 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ryridesmotox
Depends on your regulator. Some are designed to regulate differently I guess. I am using fuelab stuff. My intention is to run from my DW300 to the bay through a -8an 6 micron filter, then T to the rails with -6an. Then -6 to the regulator, the fuellab regulator has 2 input ports and 1 return port. So each rail has its own line and is more or less independently regulated. Your regulator should have some instructions on how its intended to be plumbed. By buddy has a mangafuel regulator on his car and it calls to be put in between the pump and the rails.

I'm going to do a variation of your last picture. But my regulator and filter are going to be bolted to the battery tray, I'm intending on relocating my battery to the trunk while my engine bay is empty
I too was thinking of reversing the last pic set up and bolting the FPR to the battery tray.
I got the same FPR as philistine, should be here today, so havent looked at its recommendations on plumbing, if any. I think the online instuctions showed it plumbed like the first pic, but was wondering if it has to be that way or not, i suppose. I'm assuming the flow of fuel will follow where pressure is released ie. the return.
So I don't see a problem with the last pic, but would like to see what others think.

Originally Posted by NIKDSC5
Is there some type of problem with the setup in the first picture? I mean, that would be the cleanest way right? Def has the least parts.
That is kinda what I'm asking lol. Some of the guys here recommended Y feeding the fuel rails with the Edelbrock SC, to get evenflow across the rails. But does adding a FPR moot the need?

Last edited by tommycompton; 02-18-2015 at 12:18 PM.
Old 02-18-2015, 12:44 PM
TECH Resident

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by tommycompton
I too was thinking of reversing the last pic set up and bolting the FPR to the battery tray.
I got the same FPR as philistine, should be here today, so havent looked at its recommendations on plumbing, if any. I think the online instuctions showed it plumbed like the first pic, but was wondering if it has to be that way or not, i suppose. I'm assuming the flow of fuel will follow where pressure is released ie. the return.
So I don't see a problem with the last pic, but would like to see what others think.

That is kinda what I'm asking lol. Some of the guys here recommended Y feeding the fuel rails with the Edelbrock SC, to get evenflow across the rails. But does adding a FPR moot the need?
I mean, technically with the first picture, the very last injector may have less fuel pressure than the first... But most people have way more fuel flow capacity than any scenario where it would make a difference. #1 is fine in my book.
Old 02-18-2015, 03:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I mean, technically with the first picture, the very last injector may have less fuel pressure than the first... But most people have way more fuel flow capacity than any scenario where it would make a difference. #1 is fine in my book.
True but the last injector should be closer to the regulated amount. Keep in mind this would only be during transients and I'm not sure how much it would really matter. To answer the question fully you would need to come up with all of the injection events and durations for a calculation but I am having a hard time believing once you did all of the math that it wouldn't be in the noise...
Old 02-18-2015, 10:13 PM
On The Tree

Figure 2 is your best bet as you feed each rail separately and run it into the regulator separately. I guess it will depend on the capacity of your fuel pump and what your hp goals are. You can never have too efficient of a fuel system. I did a version of figure 2 with twin Bosch pumps pushing out of a surge tank and it fuels 850 ish hp with no issues. I am adding a shot of nitrous to the car thou so we will see if it can put out enough fuel for that also. I will see if I can track down a pic and post it. My regulator is on the passenger side I front of the battery box
Attached Thumbnails Fuel pressure regulator plumbing-image.jpg  
Old 02-18-2015, 10:15 PM
On The Tree

Photo is upside down. iPad drives me crazy for that.....
Old 02-19-2015, 08:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey s-cam, where'd you put the surge tank?
Old 02-20-2015, 07:36 AM
On The Tree

Back corner behind the passenger rear wheel .
Attached Thumbnails Fuel pressure regulator plumbing-image.jpg  
Old 02-25-2015, 06:33 PM
TECH Resident

Looks like I'm going to go with pic #3.
#2 would be ideal, but a pain in the *** to plumb, and make look neat.
I don't like #1 because my fuel rails are not -8an for the eforce.
I don't think I could get away with -8an fittings because the space is tight, even if I retapped the fuel rail ends.
So my plan is -8an feed to a Y block right before the rails, into 2x -6an lines feeding each rail.
Then the return teed at the end of the passenger side rail with the end crossover like pic #3, but reversed. A -6an feeding the fpr with a -6an return.

Quick Reply: Fuel pressure regulator plumbing