Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Why NOT to Buy One of These Blowers

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 04:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I a currently in process of doing this install on my V1. I am out of the country for another month so its been on hold. The parts are quite easy to obtain. Install is cake. My initial build was with an LQ4 but I couldn't fathom the added weight with blower. I'd be adding an addition 100lbs+ to the front end with lq4/lsa setup. Ended up another route Ill keep on the low until I get her running.
Old 02-23-2015, 01:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lowoctane
I a currently in process of doing this install on my V1. I am out of the country for another month so its been on hold. The parts are quite easy to obtain. Install is cake. My initial build was with an LQ4 but I couldn't fathom the added weight with blower. I'd be adding an addition 100lbs+ to the front end with lq4/lsa setup. Ended up another route Ill keep on the low until I get her running.
Posting but not informing is quite ricer. Its cool if thats how u think but any and all combos have been done so your not making much headway. For what its worth you might actually get some good imput by adding things that matter rather than not in an informative forum. Just sayin
Old 02-23-2015, 01:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

One thing i will point out about this swap is has anyone thought about just using the stock drive acc and getting a balancer that has a bolt on hub for a lsa type outter ring? Male a bracket for the tensioner and lush the rad forward for clearance? Even if the outter ring was out further or even closer to the engine you can either machine the ring or make a spacer to push it out. I believe we all over think the simplest things sometimes.
Old 02-23-2015, 02:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yea, speaking of over thinking...

LSA blower on a V1 would require a ton of work, and would yield minimal gains over a bolt on Maggie... Room to grow with the LSA blower not withstanding. But how many people really are going to do a full build just to exploit the potential of a LSA blower? Not many. For most, its going to be 6-8psi... Maybe 10 on ethanol, then that's about it.

The LSA is better in every way when you really start trying to throw power down. But just bolting on a stock lower end engine, not sure its worth it IMHO. I used to think it was, but all the work required that I researched... Nope.
Old 02-23-2015, 10:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LSA blower on a V1 would require a ton of work, and would yield minimal gains over a bolt on Maggie
That is what I am trying to define. What is the ton of extra work. At this point I don't see a ton of extra work. What I see is a low cost solution that provides as good or better results. Unless the maggie is a lot more plug and play than the EForce I don't see using an LSA blower as increasing the work a "ton". I freely admit that I may not be seeing the extra work and that is why I started the thread. So help me out. Other than the challenges already mentioned what additional work do you see for an LSA blower over a maggie?
Old 02-23-2015, 10:35 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by punishmentcycle
Posting but not informing is quite ricer. Its cool if thats how u think but any and all combos have been done so your not making much headway. For what its worth you might actually get some good imput by adding things that matter rather than not in an informative forum. Just sayin
Trust me I am open to in form anyone about what I'm doing. I changed it at least 4 times now, I cannot decide on the block head combo I want to stick with. I had an Lq4, then starting thinking about weight savings. Then went with a ls2/ls3 setup. Scrapped that because I discovered the cylinder walls to be scored pretty bad when I tore the motor apart and rather not get into boring/honing. It's that I run into problems, so when it finally assembled with the blower on it, I will then get into the nitty gritty of the process and what it takes to run it in the V1 . I have done days worth of research on how to get the LSA blower to work with different setups. These setups have been done on many cars, so its not like I'm doing anything off the wall and hiding information, its out there. I have a full excel spread sheet I put together with parts #'s, cliff notes, that I am still updating. If you want it, I can email it to you, or anyone.

Last edited by lowoctane; 02-23-2015 at 10:42 AM.
Old 02-23-2015, 12:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sssnake

That is what I am trying to define. What is the ton of extra work. At this point I don't see a ton of extra work. What I see is a low cost solution that provides as good or better results. Unless the maggie is a lot more plug and play than the EForce I don't see using an LSA blower as increasing the work a "ton". I freely admit that I may not be seeing the extra work and that is why I started the thread. So help me out. Other than the challenges already mentioned what additional work do you see for an LSA blower over a maggie?
The LSA's blower requires its own belt, which means it needs its own pulley, which means, you'll have to use a very thin radiator and no AC condenser. If you look at pictures, or in real life, the blower pulley sticks out quite far.

A Maggie is a bolt on and go affair. You can probably do it for similar pricing if you get a used LSA blower, and can source all the parts for it. But I doubt that anyone makes a radiator that would fit.

I suppose you could also go with a tubular core support and do some customs work like that in order to fit. But either way, for the 120-150hp on 6-8psi... I'd just toss a Maggie on there. And nearly did before I went with my stroker build.

Last edited by ryridesmotox; 02-23-2015 at 12:18 PM.
Old 02-23-2015, 12:59 PM
Teching In

I did a mock up when I had the motor pulled and set up the block in the bay with the balancer on the block. Without the fans it fit nicely, I'm sure with some slim lines mounted there should not be a problem running the entire setup.

Last edited by lowoctane; 02-23-2015 at 01:11 PM.
Old 02-23-2015, 02:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

once I get my hands on a L33 I will see what I can do. blower is already at my house with ZL1 lid.

street and performance make 'hotrod' style brackets that use 1 belt. maybe call them and see what's up. It looks like a cluster of stock pieces to make it work.
Old 02-23-2015, 03:55 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ryridesmotox
The LSA's blower requires its own belt, which means it needs its own pulley, which means, you'll have to use a very thin radiator and no AC condenser. If you look at pictures, or in real life, the blower pulley sticks out quite far.

A Maggie is a bolt on and go affair. You can probably do it for similar pricing if you get a used LSA blower, and can source all the parts for it. But I doubt that anyone makes a radiator that would fit.

I suppose you could also go with a tubular core support and do some customs work like that in order to fit. But either way, for the 120-150hp on 6-8psi... I'd just toss a Maggie on there. And nearly did before I went with my stroker build.

Radiator and fans is cheap and easy fix.
Old 02-23-2015, 03:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

I don't want to run 1 belt. I like running two. Encase something happens to the blower just yank the belt and run it.

I just know some people don't have the forward space to fit two belts.
Old 02-23-2015, 04:30 PM
Teching In

If you plan on running an 8 rib I'd go with the LSA setup, or Replace all pulleys for a single belt. I find the isolated one belt for the blower to be far superior to an entire 1 belt system. Though a single belt is definitely a good idea for saving space!
Old 02-24-2015, 04:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

6liter ls with a ls3 top and LSA blower can easily get u over 600 with even a mild cam and some boost. A Maggie will get u around 500 spinning pretty good and I'll soon know what a 122 makes on a 5.7 with 20lbs.
I think this thread is geared more towards a cheaper\better efficient blower set up. The LSA blowers make great power with a few supporting mods and a spot on tune. The pulley problem is actually pretty easy to solve. With an independent belt drive all that's really needed is a few spacers and a simple bracket for a tentioner and maybe an idler, then source a balancer or machine a little off the closest match and figure out the blower ring spacing (machine off or make a spacer for the ring)
Then the radiator but there's so many things u can do there
Old 02-24-2015, 02:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just throwing this our there, but the LSA blower spacing is the SAME as the truck/2010+ Camaro spacring. I've verified it myself.
Old 02-24-2015, 04:06 PM
TECH Regular

I'm not familiar with the lower "ring," assembly on the LSA....but in our cars the abs lump is pretty close to our crank pulley.
Old 02-25-2015, 05:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by hefftone
I'm not familiar with the lower "ring," assembly on the LSA....but in our cars the abs lump is pretty close to our crank pulley.
The actual stock LSA balancer is one piece but the aftermarket has bolt on rings in different sizes. Just can't go over 8in
Old 02-25-2015, 02:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So what you're saying is....there's a chance? lol

I can get my hands on a 2013 CTS-V blower.....any chance I could get that to work on my LS6? Or is that a pipe dream?
Old 02-25-2015, 02:42 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lollygagger8

I can get my hands on a 2013 CTS-V blower.....any chance I could get that to work on my LS6? Or is that a pipe dream?
Lolly!!!!

You'd have to get small bore rectangle port heads. I would never attempt port adapters.
Old 02-25-2015, 04:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You'd have to get small bore rectangle port heads. I would never attempt port adapters.
Why not? Too much change of direction in too little run?
Old 02-25-2015, 06:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by lollygagger8

Yes u can.. Just gotta get a set of small bore ls3 heads. Mast makes nices ones with thick decks but they are pricey. I was thinking of doing this swap before i found the 122's and its more than doable on a budget. The lsa blower can make some pretty good steam if u support it properly.

Quick Reply: Why NOT to Buy One of These Blowers