Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

What to do with 12k on my First Gen V...

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 11:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tend to agree with this statement ^^... but V2's are too much for me to want a payment for.. I like the V1 rawness, styling and price...I like the V2's guts...and potential.
Old 02-25-2015, 12:53 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone have Suggestions for What Heads I should go with? I have been talking with Tune Time Performance in NJ and have an appointment set in April. Going to sit with their shop owner/tuner and go over what type of cam I want for the car (going to be custom spec done by them)

But up for suggestions on Heads and Intake Manifold (I love FAST but the MSD Atomic seems far more affordable)
Old 02-25-2015, 01:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Negligence
Anyone have Suggestions for What Heads I should go with? I have been talking with Tune Time Performance in NJ and have an appointment set in April. Going to sit with their shop owner/tuner and go over what type of cam I want for the car (going to be custom spec done by them)

But up for suggestions on Heads and Intake Manifold (I love FAST but the MSD Atomic seems far more affordable)
What year V do you have?

04-05 V should get Trick Flow as cast 220s.

06-07 get a set of used LS3 heads and build them to suit your needs.

I'm going to be running a nick Williams 102 throttle body on a Fast 102 intake. You can also run an LS2 throttle body without suffering any power loss in an NA setup... And its much cheaper.
Old 02-25-2015, 01:45 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Fast02Z06
V1's are badass (my friend on here had a nice 04) but i would never dump 12k into one op. Sell it and get something more badass (V2). Just my .02
Yes when your buying the car now it makes no sense. Some of us bought are cars before the v2 came out and when you mod it little by little it adds up to 9k real quick. Now For some of us it looks like do I spend 6k on boost or do I sell and start all over. Of course at this time 6k is cheaper than 12k to upgrade to v2. But if you look at overall picture I'll be good 15k into my car in just mods.
Old 02-25-2015, 01:59 PM
TECH Regular

You have to go straight to the guys that engineered/developed certain combinations and take the guess work out of it. I would start with BTR and deal with them directly. One phone call and you will have a quote emailed to you within a couple days. Speedshops are like general contractors, they are going to take a cut off the top and call the same guys - as they should.
Old 02-25-2015, 02:10 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by philistine
You have to go straight to the guys that engineered/developed certain combinations and take the guess work out of it. I would start with BTR and deal with them directly. One phone call and you will have a quote emailed to you within a couple days. Speedshops are like general contractors, they are going to take a cut off the top and call the same guys - as they should.
Im not purchasing any parts through the shop, im buying everything on my own and bringing them to install.
Old 02-25-2015, 02:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Im not purchasing any parts through the shop, im buying everything on my own and bringing them to install.
Then talk to Brian tooley racing. They know pretty much everything there is to know about LS blocks, airflow, and what combos are best
Old 02-25-2015, 03:09 PM
Launching!

Do what I did. sell your V1, and buy a V2 with the total you'll have.
Old 02-25-2015, 03:52 PM
TECH Regular

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Go out and buy another V1 and have two of them
Old 02-25-2015, 04:55 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by dead civic
Do what I did. sell your V1, and buy a V2 with the total you'll have.
Then I'll want to spend another 12k on that car

The Lord knows I dont drive stock cars
Old 02-25-2015, 06:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That ebay find should be tempting the **** out of the OP right now. "Love my car" or not, that's a steal for anything around 15k. And as a V owner and daily driver, I'd be happy just to have someone offer me 12k for it, haha!

Also, in Florida you only pay a sales tax on the car once--at purchase. After that it's just insurance and tag renewals. If the owner purchased the car in Florida, he's payed his taxes and as a property owner down there has the right to keep the tag. I'm sure IL would disagree if the car is in their state for more than 30 days, but there isn't much evidence of that unless they were to follow him around to build a case.

The Lord knows I don't drive stock cars
That would be a much better investment. Putting 12k into a 10 year old platform isn't very smart unless it's a track car.

There are also plenty of modded v2's out there.
Old 02-25-2015, 08:13 PM
TECH Resident

This is either tattooed on me somewhere, or my middle name. I can't recall.
Old 02-25-2015, 10:26 PM
Launching!

*In that boat. QFT haha
Old 02-26-2015, 11:44 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just had a thought...

Take that 12k and put it into oil stocks while they're down. Once the oil prices inevitably go back up... profit. If you pull it out within a year, you pay more taxes. Wait longer than a year and it's just standard capital gains 15%. (Unless it's changed this year--I haven't checked).
Old 02-26-2015, 01:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BudRacing
Just had a thought...

Take that 12k and put it into oil stocks while they're down. Once the oil prices inevitably go back up... profit. If you pull it out within a year, you pay more taxes. Wait longer than a year and it's just standard capital gains 15%. (Unless it's changed this year--I haven't checked).
And do all this while the OP's V1 depreciates?

Sell it!
Old 02-26-2015, 02:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by BudRacing
Just had a thought...

Will take quite some time for them to recover 18 months ish, before you started seeing real gains.

Originally Posted by rand49er
And do all this while the OP's V1 depreciates?

Sell it!
Uh....yeah. He has 12k to dump into the car, which is going to depreciate the second he opens the packaging of the new parts.....

His car will depreciate no matter what, so advice on going to market with that $ is actually really good advice. The problem is the fact that most of the $ made at the market is when its on it's way down, not up.

Rich people buy assets, poor buy Liabilities.

With all that said OP here is my take

H/C/I 1,550$/800$/800$+ Misc = 3,500$approx Used items slowly collected on the forum except the heads (stockers ported by TEA for 1550$)

^need a tune +650$

Rear 4,000$ Properly sourced you can get all the bells and whistles on this!

Exhaust OBX 550$ cat back/700$ = 1,250$

Mounts 300$

Shifter 300$ - Do all T-56 band aids when doing clutch!

LS7 clutch 700$ - Get the light weight flywheel!

So far 10,700$

Use remaining 1,300$ for any misc you need like a CAI, plugs, wires etc etc.
Don't forget a lot of people will buy your used parts, rear, drive shaft etc etc! So there is extra $
Old 02-26-2015, 06:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That's a solid list, can't get better advice than that.
Old 02-26-2015, 07:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

1550 for TEA ported heads? Damn...Advanced Inductions charges ~1200 for their 226cc package and they've shown to basically max out stock heads.
Old 02-27-2015, 10:00 AM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by bmylez
1550 for TEA ported heads? Damn...Advanced Inductions charges ~1200 for their 226cc package and they've shown to basically max out stock heads.
Not sure where you got that # from but AI is 995$ with no springs retainers etc. 1,520$ with their premium spring package, which comes on the TEA heads already, along with larger ferrea valves.

But, I emailed AI this morning to clarify...so I wait....
Old 02-27-2015, 02:05 PM
Staging Lane

From a V1 owner who loves his V1 unconditionally, buy a V2 or get the one in the ebay link lol

Quick Reply: What to do with 12k on my First Gen V...