Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

What to do with 12k on my First Gen V...

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 04:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ObfuscatedV
From a V1 owner who loves his V1 unconditionally, buy a V2 or get the one in the ebay link lol
More sanity.
Old 02-27-2015, 05:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NIKDSC5
Not sure where you got that # from but AI is 995$ with no springs retainers etc. 1,520$ with their premium spring package, which comes on the TEA heads already, along with larger ferrea valves.

But, I emailed AI this morning to clarify...so I wait....
I think I was including shipping costs and new guides or something.
Old 02-27-2015, 10:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Eventually the V2 is going to suck compared to other current cars too. I say drop the cash on the V1 if you like the car. I plan to drop a bunch more on mine (it's a little too far gone to sell though, so that makes it easier for me).
Old 03-01-2015, 10:28 AM
Launching!

Dude honestly I would never drop that much money in a v1. I miss my v1 too btw but you are much better off selling your car and buying a higher miled used V2. Your money, your decision bro but be smart about it.
Old 03-01-2015, 12:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think if people kept a running total of all car purchases, it would surprise them. I keep a spreadsheet for every car I own and 12k adds up quick.
Old 03-01-2015, 12:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

A car is the second largest monetary investment most people will make, behind property. Might as well take care of it. $12k isn't that big of a deal in the long run.
Old 03-01-2015, 04:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Owning and daily driving a V1 already stretches the sanity of practical car ownership. Just being in this conversation assumes we already know that.
Old 03-01-2015, 07:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ryridesmotox
A car is the second largest monetary investment most people will make, behind property. Might as well take care of it. $12k isn't that big of a deal in the long run.
Cams and performance heads etc isn't taking care of it, but I hear what you're saying! We're all car nuts but if I were to throw a 5 figure mod budget it would have to involve a newer V as they are going for REALLY cheap now! I see nicely modded ones all the time for low 30k's now. Obviously that would still be a lot more than a 12k upgrade beyond the resale price of his V1, but a lot of that money would come back someday when the car is sold!

Originally Posted by isis
Owning and daily driving a V1 already stretches the sanity of practical car ownership. Just being in this conversation assumes we already know that.
TRUTH!!!
Old 03-01-2015, 09:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

With the way I've seen some V2s local to me driven, I'd be like, thanks but no thanks. There are a few guys here that beat on them harder than me. One guy is on his second motor.
Old 03-01-2015, 09:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Lol, practicality... Pssssh, humbug.

I drive 6 miles round trip, I need to expand my carbon footprint somehow
Old 03-02-2015, 09:51 AM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There's another way to look at it...

I bought mine for 11K which makes it affordable.

I average over 20mpg which makes it reasonable.

It's got 400hp and a 6spd which means it is worth keeping which I or someone in the family will for a long time. Show me a car that was ever built in Detroit with that combination that isn't worth something.

The LS motor is the most durable in the GM line and if I scatter mine, I can get the car up and running with a simple motor mount adapter and an LQ9 for 2K...or less.

The average transmission rebuild is less than 2K...try that with automatic.

If anything goes wrong with it, I can learn how to fix it on the forums. I doubt there has been many problems with the V1 that a fairly detailed fix hasn't already been laid out in detail.

The CTS in general is just now starting to hit the salvage yards which means many parts for the platform will be plentiful and cheap for at least another 5 to 10 years.

Its got 4 doors, a large enough trunk, it looks good,I can afford to drive it, it's fast, it's comfortable and unlike a Camry, it won't wind up in the crusher.

That being said, it has a few shortcomings but we've pretty much got those ironed out. With an 8.8 swap, the car goes from being a car to a serviceable piece of equipment that I can drive from now on because it can be easily repaired and it's stout...that makes it a good investment in my book.

For me, the V1 is about as practical as it gets and I drive a lot and I drive hard. It is gong to make an awesome beater.

Last edited by ls1247; 03-02-2015 at 09:57 AM.
Old 03-02-2015, 12:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just want to know how you avg over 20mpg driving it hard. Share your secrets! I avg 17.5-19 depending on season split driving.
Old 03-02-2015, 01:06 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by MN_V
I just want to know how you avg over 20mpg driving it hard. Share your secrets! I avg 17.5-19 depending on season split driving.
I drive on average 1000 miles a week but 900 of it is interstate. If I'm driving in town, its never during rush hour so the car does little to no idling.

In a daily driver sense, I beat on the car but I'm not road coursing, top end checking or quarter mileing. I work out of the car so its usually full of tools and equipment so I've been happy with the mileage. I even break out the trailer hitch every once in a while...hauled 1200 lbs of sheetmetal last week.
Old 03-02-2015, 02:09 PM
On The Tree

Can someone explain the whole "dont spend money on a V1, buy a V2!" argument? I have never (or never noticed) other car groups have this argument. Never seen someone mod their C5 and see people say "dont do that, buy a C6!" or "dont spend money on a Fourth Gen, buy a Fifth Gen!". It drives me up the wall.

Why is the CTS-V family like this? If someone wants to spend money on their V1, telling them to buy a V2 does not add to the conversation and offers zero help. I have way more money in my V1 than I thought I would, but I wouldnt trade it, unless it was for a 67-69 Camaro..bc oofah I want one.
Old 03-02-2015, 02:29 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by tmac2419
Can someone explain the whole "dont spend money on a V1, buy a V2!" argument? I have never (or never noticed) other car groups have this argument. Never seen someone mod their C5 and see people say "dont do that, buy a C6!" or "dont spend money on a Fourth Gen, buy a Fifth Gen!". It drives me up the wall.

Why is the CTS-V family like this? If someone wants to spend money on their V1, telling them to buy a V2 does not add to the conversation and offers zero help. I have way more money in my V1 than I thought I would, but I wouldnt trade it, unless it was for a 67-69 Camaro..bc oofah I want one.
The V1 is a more useful, practical car than a vette so you'll probably find more practical people on a V1 forum than you will on a vette forum and dumping money into a V1 isn't practical from a financial standpoint. You won't get your money back.
Old 03-02-2015, 02:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Lol I think it has more to do with... "Ooooh I have a V2 and I have a faster car than you"

Watch... When the V3 is prowling the streets... v2 guys be like "gonna pulley down and tune"... I'd be like... "BUY A V3!"

Last edited by ryridesmotox; 03-02-2015 at 03:02 PM.
Old 03-02-2015, 03:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by tmac2419

IMO because it takes a lot of money to mod the V1 and it doesn't add up to a significantly better car than just doing some light bolt ons for cheap. Now, have people gone all out and built some SICK V1s? Hell yea, but you won't get that for $12k unfortunately. If you've got the money to do it it's all good though.
Old 03-02-2015, 04:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MN_V
IMO because it takes a lot of money to mod the V1 and it doesn't add up to a significantly better car than just doing some light bolt ons for cheap. Now, have people gone all out and built some SICK V1s? Hell yea, but you won't get that for $12k unfortunately. If you've got the money to do it it's all good though.
IMO if the money's a wash, it's always a smarter move to go newer. The V2 has the boost, decent rear, good suspension etc. Just that will eat more than 12k on an aging V1. OP asked for opinions. Nobody needs to apologize for giving them.
Old 03-03-2015, 08:04 AM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Going newer gives more potential for that depreciation mentioned earlier. Mods will depreciate the same amount no matter what car they go on. I don't know why there is a V1/V2 debate here, The OP already has a V1. Assuming it is paid off he has 12k for mods, not a down payment. Buying a V2 would mean selling the V1 and using the 12k for what? 30k (maybe) towards a V2 (still about 10k) short and a car payment?

I have said it before and I will say it again, no DUH the V2 is a nicer car. It has its faults as does any car, and it has yet to show its ugly side with electrical demons that I'm sure are set to start some time soon in the 09's.

If I had to choose between using 12k to mod My already owned V1, or buy a V2, I'd rather have fun modding my V1.

Plus, no body looks at the cts 1st gen platform and expects a V, they are more surprised I feel, to learn it is a V. Where as the cts 2nd gen everyone looks for the V and is disappointed when its not. Subtle difference, but its something I enjoy.

Lastly the world is flooded with V2s' but I rarely see other V1s' driving around.
Old 03-03-2015, 08:53 AM
Launching!

I guess my point is "looking out for the op". It just makes zero sense to dump that kind of money into a 11 year old car where it will be a total waste not to mention general maintenance and dealing with upcoming issues that comes with owning an older car.

V1's are fkn sick! I still miss mine dearly and would gladly drive one again BUT dumping 12k into one is suicide. Where as he can simply sell it and add that on top and have a better platform plus newer technology and a car that is worth a ton more to a larger group of people.

I'm just thinking practical (while still having fun modding to his liking).

Quick Reply: What to do with 12k on my First Gen V...