Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

My budget regulated return

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 09:55 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default My budget regulated return

I will start by saying I did this install on a Magnacharger but with a few extra fitting this can be done on factory or aftermarket fuel rails also.

I installed an DW300 pump and had 71-72 psi of fuel pressure with a modified stock regulator. After further mods to the regulator I was able to get it down to 68 but I wanted it back down to 58-59 psi. So I started brain storming and came up with a couple ideas.

I'll spare you guys my brainstorming and tell you what I came up with. I bought an AEM regulator and installed it in the same place philistine did his. Then I found some 6AN GM quick disconnect nipples and installed 2 those on the regulator. Now for the part that makes this a budget build. I bought 25' of Dorman 5/16 nylon fuel line and a pack of 2 Dorman straight 5/16 gm quick disconnects and a pack of 2 90* Dorman quick disconnects. I made my own installation tools if you want to call them that but I'll let you look up other people's methods. It's really rather easy, you just need to press the fitting into the nylon tube.

Then I swapped the filter with and Fbody fuel filter so I only have 1 in and 1 out instead of the V style with the return to the tank coming out of the filter. I also removed the small section of factory fuel line between the tank return and the filter.

Then I ran the fuel line up the same path and clipped it in the same clip the factory line used and installed a 90* fitting and hooked it to the pump. Then I ran the fuel line down the same path all the others do and there is even an open 5/16 channel all the way down the car so it worked out really well. I ran it up into the engine bay behind the factory fuel lines and then over to the regulator and installed another 90* fitting and attached it to the regulator return. (I haven't done it yet since I just started the car last night, but I recommend some heat shielding since this is in a high heat area)

Then to feed the regulator, I removed the schrader valve, it's on the passenger side so this worked out well, and I ran a line from the rail to the regulator. I will replace this with a better solution in the future but for now I used a 1/8npt to 5/16 hose barb and presses it into the fuel line. Then installed a straight Dorman disconnect on the other end to attach to the regulator. I screwed this line into the rail and that's why I want to change it. It's less than a foot long so it's not really an issue, but I would like to be able to remove the line completely if needed.

Ok so the plumbing is now run and you need to remove the factory FPR on the pump and do what philistine did with the hose barb screwed into the module. I was going to use the same submersible fuel line but its like 23 bucks a foot and that didn't really fit into my budget lol I bought a 15" section of corrugated fuel line from APE and ran it between the hat and the nipple with hose clamps. I did use a bigger nipple than philistine did for his but I don't remember the size. I took the hat into homedepot with me and matched it.

Now for the moment of truth. I had my wife prime the pump several times while I adjusted the fuel pressure before I started the car. I have it set at 58 psi right now and it's very stable so far, we will see how it does under load when I get it tuned.

Obviously this isn't going to support 1000hp and I don't claim that it will. In fact, I have no idea what this will support. I did this for the sole purpose of taming my DW300 and it seems to do that just fine.

So for people on a budget that don't need to spend $1000 plus on a fuel system, this is a good alternative to get a regulated return for mild builds. The whole fuel system upgrade including pump was $375

I don't have any detailed pics, just some random pics I took. Also wanted to add, I didn't use any hose clamps and any of the Dorman fittings and I didn't have a single leak.

Old 02-24-2015, 11:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice ingenuity. Necessity is the mother of invention.

Quick Reply: My budget regulated return