Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

V1 5 lug swap [complete]

Old 03-10-2015, 10:17 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good looking wheels you picked up. They look very similar to the SSR Integrals I run on my 300ZX, just a slightly thicker spoke on yours. 5 spokes are classics.
Old 03-11-2015, 03:17 AM
Naf
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

All you need are the followin

2007 C6 front and rear hubs for Z06
2011-13 CTS-v front and rear rotors
2011-13 CTS-v calipers.
2011-13 E-brake plate and pads

It all bolts up and works fine
Old 03-11-2015, 07:41 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Naf
All you need are the followin

2007 C6 front and rear hubs for Z06
2011-13 CTS-v front and rear rotors
2011-13 CTS-v calipers.
2011-13 E-brake plate and pads

It all bolts up and works fine
one issue i see with this is that i'm not going to the 6 piston calipers so the V2 front rotors are going to be too big. i have to stick with camaro front rotors because of this.

otherwise can you expand upon the ebrake? i'll have to do some digging to see if i can find the differences between the two. if i could order the whole V2 ebrake assembly that'd be pretty awesome.

edit: it looks like the backing plate for the ebrake and the new ebrake components will get the job done, but i haven't been able to find diagrams to compare part numbers. the backing plate might not need to change, but will advise.

edit 2: it looks like the backing plates all have the same part numbers (25851190, 25851205) so the ebrake assembly from the gen5 camaro/V2 should bolt right in and the ebrake should work as intended and might actually work a little better (?).

edit 3: the 04-07 V backing plates are part numbers 88951984, 88951985 so NAF is right. i need the new backing plates, too. at least i know it's a bolt in affair at that point, niiiice.

Last edited by Bio248; 03-11-2015 at 10:02 AM.
Old 03-11-2015, 09:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bio248
one issue i see with this is that i'm not going to the 6 piston calipers so the V2 front rotors are going to be too big. i have to stick with camaro front rotors because of this.

otherwise can you expand upon the ebrake? i'll have to do some digging to see if i can find the differences between the two. if i could order the whole V2 ebrake assembly that'd be pretty awesome.

edit: it looks like the backing plate for the ebrake and the new ebrake components will get the job done, but i haven't been able to find diagrams to compare part numbers. the backing plate might not need to change, but will advise.

edit 2: it looks like the backing plates all have the same part numbers (25851190, 25851205) so the ebrake assembly from the gen5 camaro/V2 should bolt right in and the ebrake should work as intended and might actually work a little better (?).
Yup V2 brakes not needed! I was at an event a few years ago and a guy there had a V1 and V2 and preferred the braking of the V1 compared to the V2.
Old 03-12-2015, 02:32 AM
Naf
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bio248

edit 3: the 04-07 V backing plates are part numbers 88951984, 88951985 so NAF is right. i need the new backing plates, too. at least i know it's a bolt in affair at that point, niiiice.
I think i posted all the parts you need in my thread...Search helps.

The V2 caliper gives you the best options for replacement parts tomorro with the best value. The camaro is fine, but then you are still running 365mm rear rotors. Why not take the extra time and get it done properly. I have the V2 2pc slotted front discs with one pc rear rotors. They fit in 18" rims. The back plate pn are corret, you just need to also buy the pads and accessories.

It all bolts in easily...Have fun
Old 03-12-2015, 02:50 AM
Naf
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 88BlackZ-51
Yup V2 brakes not needed! I was at an event a few years ago and a guy there had a V1 and V2 and preferred the braking of the V1 compared to the V2.
Then he was running the wrong pads / rotor option...

-Stock is 355 vs V2 @ 370
-The four piston would need less oil to use so yes that would lead to less brake pedal movement. But you would OBVIOUSLY be upgrading to SS with the new calipers so the spongy feeling would go away.
-Larger brake pads with the V2
-Lighter weight on the hub for you may run 2pc rotors
-You get Blanks Slotted or cross drilled vs what ever is given for stock...

Slotted 370 with Hawk HPS pads running SS lines with Syn Dot 4 fluid. Thats what i have, and will use to stop my lil girl...
Old 03-12-2015, 04:13 PM
Staging Lane

Ive done this, and I currently have VMR wheels on my car. Its not that hard.

C5 hubs, F&R

STOCK ROTORS Redrilled to 5x4.75

Hubcentric Rings if your new wheels do not conform to the center bore's of your rotors.

DONE. I don't really know why people make this harder than it really is. The hubs bolt in, the ABS adapters click in, and the rotors slide on and your done. No-Ebrake problems, no rotor swap issues, nothing. I swapped mine on in 1 hour for all 4.

I did Slotted rotors for $130 for all 4 (I know a deal)
I did NEW Hubs, via EBAY $180
I did hubcentric spacers from Amazon $22
Wheels were my choice, of spec and style, but it is now a 5x4.75 so I can swap to my hearts content!

VMR V701
19x8.5 et35 Front
19x9.5 et33 Rear
255/35/19 PS2's
285/45/19 PS2's
Old 03-12-2015, 10:42 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Grenade19
I did NEW Hubs, via EBAY $180
How long have u had the hubs installed? I went the same route drilled the rotors and bought ebay Hubs. I figured give them a try, they fail then I'll upgrade lol
Old 03-13-2015, 08:19 AM
TECH Resident

why reuse stock rotors when i don't have to?

i can machine the rotors just as easy as drilling new holes in stock 6 lug rotors. and the ebrake will still work after i put the camaro/V2 ebrake assembly on it.

i'm not trying to do this the cheap and quick way. i want to do it the right way...
Old 03-13-2015, 08:40 AM
TECH Resident

basically decent proof that these bearings are all from china. two different boxes, three different bearings. wonder what the last one will be!

either way if the bearings go out they're cheap enough to replace one by one as time goes on. oh well.

i have an "automotive recycler" looking into some parts for me, too. basically they buy new cars and part them out...somehow make a profit. i'm going to get rotors from them with less than 100 miles from an SS (front) and V2 (rear). i've also having them look into a parking brake assembly from a base CTS (09-14) and then i can source the V2 backing plates on my own.

buying those parts used is gonna save me tons, and it'll all be OEM quality. then i just have to get some new pads and TPMS.
Old 03-13-2015, 08:53 AM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Naf
The V2 caliper gives you the best options for replacement parts tomorro with the best value.
I'm not sure how you figure that. Variations of the V1's 4-piston Brembo calipers have been used on way more vehicles than the 6-piston caliper, so it stands to reason that parts support is better for the 4-piston calipers. I did the V2 conversion in the fall of 2012, at which point the V2 had been around for nearly 4 years, yet pad selection for the 6-pistons (FMSI D1405) was terrible. It's gotten better in the past 2-1/2 years, but it's still much easier to find the FMSI D1001 pads that the V1 calipers run in any compound you could ever want.

Originally Posted by Naf
-The four piston would need less oil to use so yes that would lead to less brake pedal movement. But you would OBVIOUSLY be upgrading to SS with the new calipers so the spongy feeling would go away.
Not correct. The piston area of the 6-pistons is actually slightly smaller than the 4-pistons.

Originally Posted by Naf
Slotted 370 with Hawk HPS pads running SS lines with Syn Dot 4 fluid. Thats what i have, and will use to stop my lil girl...
I hope that's a misprint, because you can't come in here giving brake advice and then say you're running HPS pads. Those are the only pads I've ever replaced for general shittiness. There are way better options that are significantly cheaper.

Originally Posted by Grenade19
DONE. I don't really know why people make this harder than it really is. The hubs bolt in, the ABS adapters click in, and the rotors slide on and your done. No-Ebrake problems, no rotor swap issues, nothing.
Some might be willing to pay a bit more for the added convenience of it all being bolt-on - no need to redrill rotors every time you want to do a brake job or swap rotors for the track.
Old 03-13-2015, 09:27 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by AAIIIC
I hope that's a misprint, because you can't come in here giving brake advice and then say you're running HPS pads. Those are the only pads I've ever replaced for general shittiness. There are way better options that are significantly cheaper.
i was thinking of just going with a centric ceramic pad to keep down noise and dust. i only drive my car on the street and rarely ever get on the pedal very hard.
Old 03-13-2015, 04:00 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LSsomethingorother
How long have u had the hubs installed? I went the same route drilled the rotors and bought ebay Hubs. I figured give them a try, they fail then I'll upgrade lol
6 months no problems at all.
Old 03-13-2015, 04:02 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by AAIIIC
I'm not sure how you figure that. Variations of the V1's 4-piston Brembo calipers have been used on way more vehicles than the 6-piston caliper, so it stands to reason that parts support is better for the 4-piston calipers. I did the V2 conversion in the fall of 2012, at which point the V2 had been around for nearly 4 years, yet pad selection for the 6-pistons (FMSI D1405) was terrible. It's gotten better in the past 2-1/2 years, but it's still much easier to find the FMSI D1001 pads that the V1 calipers run in any compound you could ever want.

Not correct. The piston area of the 6-pistons is actually slightly smaller than the 4-pistons.

Some might be willing to pay a bit more for the added convenience of it all being bolt-on - no need to redrill rotors every time you want to do a brake job or swap rotors for the track.

What pads do you suggest for Daily use with little to no brake dust? I'm due for some new ones this year..

And yes, I understand the whole bolt on and go. The older I get the more I like this to be the option of choice..
Old 03-13-2015, 05:49 PM
TECH Regular

I think my brake pads are made from coal, jeez! Probably looks like a diesel with a tuner on it when I hit the brakes. Dust is insane!
Old 03-14-2015, 11:42 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by hefftone
I think my brake pads are made from coal, jeez!
Old 03-14-2015, 01:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The pad snobs won't like this, but I'm using the midgrade pad from Autozone and after 30k miles, they don't squeak, pulsate or throw lots of dust.

Admittedly, I'm not doing repeated hard stops from 120 or anything like that but for spirited daily driving, I'm not complaining.
Old 03-14-2015, 01:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

My car will never, ever see track duty, so I went with $25 Centric pads on the rear. Some people are obsessed with running "race grade" parts on their DDs, and I initially followed that thinking, but now I'm all about value (while still having decent quality).
Old 03-14-2015, 05:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

When I first put on the V2 calipers, I tried the Hawk HPSs. I knew from their reputation not to expect much, but I was still horribly underwhelmed. I really thought they were terrible, and they're not cheap - over $150 for the fronts.

So I went looking on rockauto.com to see what I could find. I bought some ACDelco Professional Durastop semi-metallics on wholesaler close-out for a whopping $25 - for that I figured I couldn't go wrong. (Even at their normal price they're only $45; same compound in the V1 pad shape is $40 for the fronts.) Turns out I love them. I wouldn't say they're "low dust", but they're not as dusty as other semi-metallics I've run.

For low dust but still decent performance the Stoptech Street Performance pads are pretty good, and about half as costly as the Hawk street pad options. If you really want low dust then ceramic is the way to go, but I'm not a fan of ceramics so I can't attest to any being better or worse than others.
Old 03-14-2015, 05:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I liked the ebc red ceramics on my wrx. Hated the hps. They had decent bite for a few weeks but didn't weather well at all. And the chunky awful concrete stuff they left in my wheels was abysmal. It wasn't even dust, it was like spattered epoxy. The red ceramics were quiet clean and consistent for commuting.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: V1 5 lug swap [complete]