Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

The end all shifter bushing thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 11:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Default The end all shifter bushing thread

I'm looking to put together ONE thread with all the information about shifter bushings and trans shifter bushings.

I'm going to be taking my DS out when I do my 8.8 swap and wanted to get everything above it all sorted out while it's apart. My Katech shifter was starting to make some strange noises in the tunnel. Please post up any information you have below and I'll update this thread and hopefully can make it into a decent Sticky for all shifters and trans shifter related components for people that are looking to improve the feel and throw etc.

Available components

Shifters:
Katech Gen1 - (insert link here)
Katech Gen2 (two piece) - (insert link here)
Brian Hurst Shifter -(insert link here)
CS Adjustable shifter -(insert link here)
B&M? -(insert link here)
Ralco - ebay?(insert link here)

Shifter Bushings and parts:
?

Trans Bushings and parts:
CS Shifter bushings - (insert link here) - what it does (replaces worn out parts)
Bronze isolator cups - (insert link here) - what it does (minimizes tolerances? increases tightness?)
Brian's bronze bushings and bits? - need more specific details about what they are, where they go and what they do???

Anything else?

Thanks for the help. There is so much good information out there, but I don't have the time to read through 100's of threads with bits and pieces of good information and some bad info to piece it together all on my own.
Old 03-25-2015, 11:58 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are two sets of bronze bushings available. One set is designed to be installed in the bottom pivot of the shift level itself. The second set gets installed in the vertical pivot point on the shift linkage.

Home Depot bushings for the shifter support arms where they attach to the transmission housing.

Drilling out the pin at the lateral pivot point on the shift linkage and installing an oversized pin or tack welding the joint into a solid unit.

Transmission mounts from both CS or new OEM
Transmission mount inserts from RevShift

Mentioning the bronze shiff isolator cup should go hand in hand with just installing a new OEM plastic cup as well.
Old 03-25-2015, 01:00 PM
CTS-V Shifter Sales

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v/1517800-b-m-shifter.html
Old 03-25-2015, 01:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Fweasel
One set is designed to be installed in the bottom pivot of the shift level itself.
For the hurst? Where does one get those?

Brian....what? Hyper link wasn't working?
Old 03-25-2015, 02:08 PM
CTS-V Shifter Sales

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by NIKDSC5
For the hurst? Where does one get those?

Brian....what? Hyper link wasn't working?
I make bronze bushings for the base of the Hurst.

The link I posted is to a thread that has everything you'd ever want to know about the linkage and bushings and upgrades. The thread is titled "B&M shifter". If you search those words here, I'm sure it'll come up. It's a lengthy read.
Old 03-25-2015, 02:16 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 07CTS-V
I make bronze bushings for the base of the Hurst.

The link I posted is to a thread that has everything you'd ever want to know about the linkage and bushings and upgrades. The thread is titled "B&M shifter". If you search those words here, I'm sure it'll come up. It's a lengthy read.
I knew that.

Just don't know where fweasel was getting shifter base bushings.

And I knew that. Giving you a hard time because you didn't post it as a link. You posted it so people have to copy and paste it into the search bar.
Old 03-25-2015, 09:29 PM
TECH Regular

A shifter is easy to do anytime, just working around what is there. Search threads, look at pictures of the product, compare and buy one....you need a complete unit, so don't just buy a stick (is eBay) support the community, its better stuff and will bring you more in the future.

But the following:

Brian bronze shift coupler bushings
Roll pinning or welding the shift coupler
The bronze shift rail cup (isolator)
Home depot bushings (some say not recommended)

Your not doing any of that without pulling the transmission, is clutch time. If you stock shifter is bad, just replacing it with a good one (Brian's Hurst, the speedloader, or CS) will be a big improvement. Personally for bang for the buck, do a shifter now...add Brian's bronze bushing later.
The shift coupler pin...I had a tiny little play there and....I wish I had just left it alone...putting that back together sucked ***.
I'm working on mine now,....I have a thread (shifter progress) going and I'll update it. When I'm finished with my clutch/reinstall.
But I am doing Brian's Bronze coupler bushings, and maybe the bronze cup from tick.....i can tell you there has been an marked improvement... But I'm going to swap the stock cup back in and compare to the tick.....takes five minutes when the trans is on the floor.
Old 03-26-2015, 08:13 PM
TECH Regular

I mocked up my shifter...shifts good with the tick cup in! Does not feel like binding at all.

Brian's bushings are great, I changed washer as shifter base even more slop gone.

But that coupler....... Piece of ****!
I'm going to take it to have it hit with a tig torch. I just want the coupler tacked to the pin. Or maybe have it brazed or soldered. That tiny amount of movement is amplified through the lever! Oooh so close!
Old 03-26-2015, 09:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by NIKDSC5
I knew that.

Just don't know where fweasel was getting shifter base bushings.

And I knew that. Giving you a hard time because you didn't post it as a link. You posted it so people have to copy and paste it into the search bar.
Getting people to use the search feature here...what a great idea!

O/P great idea for a sticky definitely useful to new V owners!
Old 03-27-2015, 03:19 PM
TECH Regular

Cf has a pretty good FAQ which I still use....don't know wtf y'all been doing over here for all these years. I read through NIKDSC5's post...1000 or so could be summed up: "**** you and/or try a search"

But seriously a good FAQ thread would bring back some of the guys that have been...elsewhere.
Old 03-27-2015, 03:38 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by hefftone
I read through NIKDSC5's post...1000 or so could be summed up: "**** you and/or try a search"
If that would only fit on a vanity plate!
Old 03-27-2015, 09:01 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by nikdsc5
if that would only fit on a vanity plate! :d
fu srch
Old 03-27-2015, 10:02 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just did the following:

Katech shifter (gen 2)
- pretty straight forward install. Replaced Pisnuoff short shifter. Hard to tell the difference between the two to be honest. I use the Holden shift ****, which is awesome.

Creative Steel Shifter bushings
- pretty straight forward. Better than beat up stock ones...

Brian's Brass bushings
- I don't know what bushing made the shifting so much better, but it is beyond a night and day difference with these plus the other bushings below. Here is where I have them installed:

Had to drill it out in order for the brass bushing to fit

I suspect this made the biggest difference in the shifting

Brass t56 cup
- Don't have any photos, but basically drops right in. I have heard some people need to grind it a bit.

Home Depot bushings
- Find them in the electrical section of Home Depot. Really don't know what they are exactly. These photos will help you find them:

You need 4, by extras to account for tolerance changes in manufacturing for the best fit, you must cut them down. I think from memory to 3/8ths but I could be wrong

Nobody previously mentioned this, but the clips that hold these arms on (where you are installing the home depot bushings) can break. After installing the passenger side home depot bushing the driver side clip broke, preventing me from installing the bushing on that side. Most of the slop was removed from the single side replacement, but of course, after dropping the trans you want to do both sides. I made this mistake so you don't have to see photos:

good clip (from other side of trans) in foreground, busted one in background. Take your time removing these.

What an unbroken clip looks like after being taken out.
Old 03-31-2015, 11:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by idrvarocco
Just did the following:

Katech shifter (gen 2)
- pretty straight forward install. Replaced Pisnuoff short shifter. Hard to tell the difference between the two to be honest. I use the Holden shift ****, which is awesome.

Creative Steel Shifter bushings
- pretty straight forward. Better than beat up stock ones...

Brian's Brass bushings
- I don't know what bushing made the shifting so much better, but it is beyond a night and day difference with these plus the other bushings below. Here is where I have them installed:

Had to drill it out in order for the brass bushing to fit

I suspect this made the biggest difference in the shifting

Brass t56 cup
- Don't have any photos, but basically drops right in. I have heard some people need to grind it a bit.

Home Depot bushings
- Find them in the electrical section of Home Depot. Really don't know what they are exactly. These photos will help you find them:

You need 4, by extras to account for tolerance changes in manufacturing for the best fit, you must cut them down. I think from memory to 3/8ths but I could be wrong

Nobody previously mentioned this, but the clips that hold these arms on (where you are installing the home depot bushings) can break. After installing the passenger side home depot bushing the driver side clip broke, preventing me from installing the bushing on that side. Most of the slop was removed from the single side replacement, but of course, after dropping the trans you want to do both sides. I made this mistake so you don't have to see photos:

good clip (from other side of trans) in foreground, busted one in background. Take your time removing these.

What an unbroken clip looks like after being taken out.
Great Pics. Thank You.
Old 04-01-2015, 04:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

subscribed

Quick Reply: The end all shifter bushing thread