Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Some insightful info on "LS7" parts (and valve springs)

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 07:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Some insightful info on "LS7" parts (and valve springs)

Finally decided to make this post. I've been doing research here and there and figured I'd share my findings. None of it is incredibly significant (except the valve spring info, I feel), but I'm a nitpicky person and technicalities bother me.

First: **The LS7 clutch has superseded all C6 clutches**. The part numbers for the clutch and flywheel are the same for a 2005 LS2 Vette and a 2013 Z06. While it doesn't really hurt anything to call it LS7, people could potentially be looking past LS2/3 C6 parts because they assume they're inferior. Plus, it's easier to type "C6" than it is to type "LS7"

Second: **The LS7 lifter has superseded all LS lifters**. The part number for **all** LS motors has superseded all previous versions. A 2000 LS1 Camaro uses the same (updated) lifter as a 2013 Z06. Even the mighty ZR1 uses the same ones.

Third: **There is no such thing as an LS6 oil pump**. GM updated the pump for both the LS1 and LS6 in 2001 and carried that same design into all subsequent LS2s and LS3s. So a *new* "ported and blueprinted" LS6 pump is an LS1 pump, is an LS2 pump, is an LS3 pump. I know, mind blown.

I'm beginning to think that a lot of the performance companies that label all these parts as LS7 either do it for marketing purposes because it's the top dog LS (well, used to be), or because they figure that's what everyone calls them, so they just follow along, which is kinda the same thing.

Fourth (different topic): edit* I see that the large majority of performance shops recommend dual valve springs because they are "better" than beehive springs. I went along with this logic when selecting my own and ended up getting Lunati duals, which were a little overkill for my Torquer v2 (or my current Cam Motion). I ran into this website, which lays down some real science on valve spring design and theory:
http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/...-valvesprings/.
Just something to think about.
edit: changed my opinion on valve springs, haha. I'll most likely get Lunatis again because they're only $150 since I have the rest of the kit and they work great.

I realize this was a novel, but I hope that maybe it will pop up when people are searching for "LS7" this or "LS7" that and expand their horizons.

Last edited by bmylez; 05-31-2016 at 06:24 PM. Reason: edited for correctness
Old 03-30-2015, 10:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The clutch disc now listed as replacement for all c6 was designed for the ls7. It replaced the ls2 clutch disc pn for service replacement as its backwards compatible for other ls engines. I don't know which year it was installed in new ls2 vettes if any but all ls3 vettes have it from factory. Calling it ls7 clutch gives credit to its design purpose. I have the ls7 clutch now but it would have been nice if gm spread the love to the ls2 v1's from the factory. Perhaps if they did the gm advertised 0-60 number could actually be obtained.

Last edited by garrettg; 03-30-2015 at 11:01 PM.
Old 03-31-2015, 06:12 PM
TECH Regular

Good info! Thanks

Here's some more....

C6 Luk repset clutch kit 04-216 about $260 +s/h
  • single disc [sprung hub]
  • Pressure plate
  • complete FTE* slave cylinder
  • pilot bearing
  • alignment tool & spline grease
C6 Luk flywheel fw191 (28lb) is about $60 +s/h

Last edited by hefftone; 03-31-2015 at 08:05 PM. Reason: *correction
Old 03-31-2015, 06:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Small correction. It's an FTE brand slave. Where did you get those prices? Cheaper than what I paid through 3rd party.
Old 03-31-2015, 08:04 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by bmylez
Small correction. It's an FTE brand slave. Where did you get those prices? Cheaper than what I paid through 3rd party.
Yes FTE you are right. (Will Edit.)
Rock auto...I paid just a little more on amazon for easier returns, if necessary.
Old 04-01-2015, 12:58 PM
TECH Resident

Interesting info, thanks!
Old 04-02-2015, 11:45 AM
TECH Resident

Good research. I think the most discussion will be around dual vs beehive springs.
Old 04-02-2015, 04:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by seawolf06
Good research. I think the most discussion will be around dual vs beehive springs.
Some people will never change their minds on the subject. I just figured for those on the fence, maybe it will give them something to think about. edit: most likely will get Lunatis again because I'm cheap.

Last edited by bmylez; 05-31-2016 at 06:25 PM.

Quick Reply: Some insightful info on "LS7" parts (and valve springs)