Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

newb ? lowering

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 10:01 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newb ? lowering

hello

older guy here (fifties), been doing some reading here...(great site),just obtained a 05 with mods and love it..... bottom line I want to lower....I understand about the spacers and looking to go with h&r's......but in reading of some past posts....I see where some say the stock tires rub and some don't, my main objective is to least lower the rear to level the car out.....has anyone just lowered the rear to do so? I don't want to buy whole set of springs and just use the rears....so thinking of spacers and then cutting the springs in rear, but will buy springs if have to

perfect world I want to do all the way around with h&r's....but paranoid on rubbing up front (I am sure I am at stock level up front, but there aint a lot of room up there with naked eye) car is not daily driver (just play toy) any input is much appreciated and sorry I never found a post about just rear lowering or a iron clad answer that says stock tires / rims will not rub with h&r's all the way around with spacers.....bottom line I don't want to open other doors with problems etc....

thanks in advance
Old 05-01-2015, 11:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cutting the springs will shorten (no pun intended) their life.

Alternatively, you can do the mighty mouse route which is the more frugal way or you can do the Ground Control kit.

I'm at about 3/4" lower and have no rubbing issues, but I also have stiffer springs as part of the Ground Control kit. It's adjustable, too, with the spanner wrench that's provided.

Going 1" or lower, and you'll begin to experience rubbing depending on tire size, if you're doing to sharp turning, etc.

Car looks so-o much better even with a very modest amount of lowering.

Just my $0.02.
Old 05-01-2015, 11:45 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that's because the H&R springs are much too soft. you're going to be better off with a set of coilovers and some proper spring rates than you will with a set of drop springs.

it also doesn't hurt to just roll your fenders and run a bit more aggressive of an alignment.
Old 05-11-2015, 05:33 PM
Teching In

thanks for replies.....been doing a little homework / reading / thinking etc....and I think I am going to go with the d2 coilovers......the place I am in contact to purchase, did mention doing them I will throw a code/engine light

question is....and it may be a answer here in searching and if so sorry.....but is that the case and how do I not have the engine light if go to the d2's or get off? and any other things that I need to know in doing these I am all ears in regards to other things to correct etc..... thanks in advance.....any input very much appreciated

ps: I know the light wont be no biggie (only visual I guess) but prefer to not look at all the time be it blinking or staying on
Old 05-11-2015, 06:06 PM
TECH Regular

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I went with a taller and wider tire, ultimately looks lowered with exact if not better ride quality as stock
Attached Thumbnails newb ? lowering-image.jpg  
Old 05-11-2015, 08:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

If you just want to drop the rear a little bit you might want to try the MM spacers on the stock struts. They may just be pumping the rear up. That's what they do.
Old 05-11-2015, 10:04 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by isis
If you just want to drop the rear a little bit you might want to try the MM spacers on the stock struts. They may just be pumping the rear up. That's what they do.
you got me thinking and don't mind the ignorance....if just use the mm spacers (nothing else / leave stock)...will that for sure bring rear down a approx. amt? or can it vary or maybe it will or maybe it wont? or anyone out there that just did mm spacers to level and bring rear down?

problem I have and I might have to break out tape measure and take pics etc...my front looks lower (less wheel gap) then what I see on here (pics) of stock 05 v's on front and as mentioned in first question.... a possibility for me is just bring down rear a bit to level....for sure doing that at least would be way more better on the $$ and i would be satisfied at least for now and maybe coil overs in the future.....for the record, the rear of mine looks like most i see on here that are stock
Old 05-11-2015, 10:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

The place that told you that the D2 coilovers would throw a CEL is incorrect. The 2nd gen V has front strut sensors, but our cars do not.
Old 05-12-2015, 08:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnyb61
you got me thinking and don't mind the ignorance....if just use the mm spacers (nothing else / leave stock)...will that for sure bring rear down a approx. amt? or can it vary or maybe it will or maybe it wont? or anyone out there that just did mm spacers to level and bring rear down?

problem I have and I might have to break out tape measure and take pics etc...my front looks lower (less wheel gap) then what I see on here (pics) of stock 05 v's on front and as mentioned in first question.... a possibility for me is just bring down rear a bit to level....for sure doing that at least would be way more better on the $$ and i would be satisfied at least for now and maybe coil overs in the future.....for the record, the rear of mine looks like most i see on here that are stock
It's a solid maybe and the amount could be zero to a little bit I guess. Maybe you could stack some washers or do a temporary spacer on the cheap to check it out first?

Or maybe just pull the shocks out and see where the car sits on just the springs? Obviously don't drive it like that.
Old 05-12-2015, 10:14 AM
On The Tree

You should take two sets of measurements. Measure from the center of the wheel straight up to the fender on all four corners. First set of measurements should be after the car sits overnight, the second set should be after you drive around the block a few times.

It sounds like someone may have lowered your car with out using spacers on the shocks. That would explain why you think the front looks lower than normal and your rear end is jacked up.

For reference on my car:
Stock suspension @95k miles, FL 14.4", FR 14.75", RL 14.875", RR 15"
Now on KWV3 coilovers I am at Front 13.5", rear 13.75"

I'm running 255/45/18 Hankook Ventus V12 front and rear and they just barely rub on the front wheel well liner, and once on the fender when I was turning into a parking lot too fast.
Old 05-12-2015, 11:24 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Andringa
For reference on my car:

I'm running 255/45/18 Hankook Ventus V12 front and rear and they just barely rub on the front wheel well liner, and once on the fender when I was turning into a parking lot too fast.
Pics?
Old 05-12-2015, 11:52 AM
On The Tree

Here you go.

Stock suspension @ 96k miles, ride height was FL 14.4", FR 14.75", RL 14.875", RR 15"

With KWV3 coilovers I had the front set to 13.5", and rear 13.75. These pictures have 245/45/18 Pilot Super Sports, but as I mentioned, I'm not running 255/45/18 Hankook Ventus V12.

It's not slammed, but I daily drive it year round in Wisconsin, so I still need some clearance for snow.
Old 05-12-2015, 12:19 PM
TECH Resident

i rub up front over bigger bumps being this low:

Name:  20150512_072916_zpszmsa2dxs.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  201.2 KB

also a year round wisconsin car..
Old 05-12-2015, 01:07 PM
On The Tree

Bio248, that looks good. Do you have measurements (center of wheel to fender?) I'm happy where I'm at, but have considered going slightly lower.
Old 05-12-2015, 01:40 PM
TECH Resident

i'm probably only 1/2" lower than you all around. it just tucks tire.
Old 05-12-2015, 01:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If it's not a daily driver I wouldn't worry so much about rubbing. I DD mine with H&Rs and mine only rubs while backing out of the driveway while turning.
Old 05-12-2015, 09:35 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Andringa
You should take two sets of measurements. Measure from the center of the wheel straight up to the fender on all four corners. First set of measurements should be after the car sits overnight, the second set should be after you drive around the block a few times.

It sounds like someone may have lowered your car with out using spacers on the shocks. That would explain why you think the front looks lower than normal and your rear end is jacked up.

For reference on my car:

thanks....and thanks to all replies, busy day and just getting in the door ( dark out and self employed and beat and old as mentioned lol)....but I am going to break out tape measure tomorrow and get my car off the hill and get level (I kinda park on hill /driveway), and call guy I bought v from....I know he is second owner and did not have very long, but he may possibly know and this got by me .... interesting thought on it possibly lowered and no spacer in rear....I think you may of hit nail on head, cause no one would just lower front and more I look this front end looks lowered.....and hope you are right
Old 05-13-2015, 11:12 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If it indeed does have springs on the front there will be no fender gap above the tire.
Old 05-22-2015, 09:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

how did this turn out?

if you just want to lower a little or just lower the rear there is no sense in coil overs and probably no sense in even buying springs. you already own a pair that are working fine, and a minor trim (with shock relocation) will get you exactly what you are looking for.

Quick Reply: newb ? lowering