Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

So I'm thinking of getting a V

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2015, 12:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So I'm thinking of getting a V

Hello all, I'm new to the forums here and just had a few questions. I'm considering getting an 04-05 CTS V, with the LS6. Having only owned a tiburon and a 335i, i'm not too keen on the LS motors, or what kind of maintnence they need. The one's i find have around 70-110,000 miles. What are some things that will need to be replaced? Is there any problems specificley associated with the V after a certain mileage? Should there be any thing to expect in upcomming miles?

Thanks guys
Old 05-16-2015, 12:45 PM
TECH Addict

Motor and trans mount, diff bushing, driveshaft carrier bearing, shifter bushings. Those are the major ones that make the car not much fun to drive. Everything else is actually pretty solid.

There are a few recalls for fuel pump and brake lines. Make sure those are done or get done.
Old 05-16-2015, 02:32 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by raven154
Motor and trans mount, diff bushing, driveshaft carrier bearing, shifter bushings. Those are the major ones that make the car not much fun to drive. Everything else is actually pretty solid.

There are a few recalls for fuel pump and brake lines. Make sure those are done or get done.
This in a nutshell.

Depending on your budget, I'd look for a car that has these all done on them. I hated spending money on mods that I can't really see, ha.
Old 05-16-2015, 05:20 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are some more informative threads in the past couple of months...I just don't feel like finding it for you or repeating it.
We should sticky it....but I already have the car so....I can only give so much of a ****....ya know!?!
Old 05-16-2015, 07:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Indeed. I never posted a thread asking for info. Usually "[insert car here] common problems" gets the job 80% done. I had diff bushing and GForce axle on order before I even took delivery of my car.
Old 05-21-2015, 10:16 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Being a GM product, around 120k you'll need to start replacing a lot of parts that don't help you go faster. For some this is opportune for upgrades.

Alternator, radiator, water pump, bushing, shocks, spark plugs, fluids, plastic interior parts... the list can stack up pretty quickly.

As far as the engine is concerned, replacing valve springs are the only thing I would really suggest above 100k. This is pretty simple in our cars. Remove coils, remove valve covers, remove rockers, use spring compressor tool to compress spring pairs, remove retainers, cap & springs, re-install in reverse order.

Most catastrophic engine failures have come from spring failures dropping a valve into the cylinder. A fresh set of springs every 100k or so is cheap insurance even on a stock engine.

Last edited by BudRacing; 05-21-2015 at 10:27 AM.
Old 05-21-2015, 05:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

^^^ You forgot about a method for holding the valve in place. I use the TDC method.
Old 05-21-2015, 07:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Agreed. Tdc was the fastest for me as well. Pen magnet for the locks.
Old 05-22-2015, 06:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DTM-_-
... Having only owned a tiburon and a 335i, i'm not too keen on the LS motors, or what kind of maintnence they need. ...
You need a culture change.

Most of the suggestions above are in regard to non-motor items, with the exception of valve springs. Those other cars you've owned require major stuff to be done at 100k ... not so with LS engines.
Old 05-22-2015, 09:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bmylez
^^^ You forgot about a method for holding the valve in place. I use the TDC method.
Yep, that is the way I always change springs. Why drag out a compressor when a screwdriver or straw in the plug finds the piston.. valve just lays on it.
Old 05-22-2015, 04:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by vmapper
Yep, that is the way I always change springs. Why drag out a compressor when a screwdriver or straw in the plug finds the piston.. valve just lays on it.
Main downside is you have to drop the radiator to get a socket on the crank bolt (especially with ALRADCO), but not the end of the world.

Quick Reply: So I'm thinking of getting a V