Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

V2 tr6060 into V1

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2015, 12:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by rand49er
Met a guy this morning at a Lingenfelter car event local to me. He recently bought an '04 V, and it has a TR-6060 trans.
Can't believe that car wasn't already on here!
Old 05-30-2015, 01:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's a lot of stuff that doesn't make it onto forums. Many people not interested in posting online.
Old 05-30-2015, 02:51 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by bmylez
There's a lot of stuff that doesn't make it onto forums. Many people not interested in posting online.
I've been working on cars for a very long time and I'd have a hard time pulling that build off without at least asking a few questions.
Old 05-30-2015, 02:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ls1247
Can't believe that car wasn't already on here!
Previous owner may have been. Current owner bought it out of Chicago, but I think he said it was a Florida car or something most of its life. I have to believe someone who had a hand in that car's modding history was on at least one forum.

Forgot to add that it was cammed, too, plus he had an oversize crank pulley. He thinks it'll run under 11.0, maybe as low as 10.80, based on paper calculations.
Old 06-06-2015, 02:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Previous owner may have been. Current owner bought it out of Chicago, but I think he said it was a Florida car or something most of its life. I have to believe someone who had a hand in that car's modding history was on at least one forum.

Forgot to add that it was cammed, too, plus he had an oversize crank pulley. He thinks it'll run under 11.0, maybe as low as 10.80, based on paper calculations.
If you say forged ls2, it's obvious there's not a stock cam in it

With gears, and 550 rwhp, you could run a 10.9x in these cars with a perfect launch and a completely redone suspension. With the stock suspension, you are lucky to break into the 15s.
Old 10-21-2015, 04:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where did the results of any swaps get posted? I see killer noodles old one, but I am trying to figure out what RPM does with the rear of the 6060 treansmission that makes it a straight blot on swap to a 6060. Which one do they use? 2 piece bellhousing G8 GXP? They want some $$$$$ but arent making it very easy so I can save a few bucks, like wanting $550 for a core charge, where as I can sell my good trans for $12-1300ish.
I know they do good work so not bashing at all, but for $$$$$ I would like to know what I am buying and what upgrades or work is done to the trans.
Old 10-21-2015, 05:43 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by slowlaneblues06
I am trying to figure out what RPM does with the rear of the 6060 treansmission that makes it a straight blot on swap to a 6060.
I've been to RPMs website and see no clue that they are selling V1 6060 upgrades. Am I wrong because if I'm not, I don't understand what you're saying here.

I'm still considering this swap after shopping what a reasonable rebuild for the t56 will cost if I let someone else do it.

Hawks 3rd gen, just a few miles up the road, offers level 1 and 2 upgrades and the owner said he would never do just a level 1 rebuild on a t56. WTF, why are you even offering it. Their level 2 rebuild is somewhere around $1900. Ticks livel 2 is around $2100 and everyone else seems to be more or less in this price range. Keep in mind that these prices would be just for the basic rebuild and woudl not include replacing any worn shafts, gears or bearings.

I can buy a brand new V2 tr6060 for....plus shipping.

http://paceperformance.com/i-8147140...nsmission.html

If I sold one of my t56s, I'd be into a new tr6060 for about 1500 bucks which is less than it would cost to rebuild the t56 and would be a better unit. Now its starting to make a little more sense. It MIGHT make even more sense now that I've got a one piece carbon shaft driveshaft. I'm thinking/hoping that all I may need to convert the driveshaft to the 6060 would be a new adapter if the transmission lengths are close enough and I have spare t56 sitting here to compare it against. I'm right down the road from DSS and could take both transmissions to them so they can size it all up.

This leaves the crossmember mods which would be fairly basic metal fab but the shifter might be a bit more involved as the V2 shifter is mounted in a "box" based on what little info I've seen about it. However, even that shouldn't be crazy hard unless somebody knows something I don't.

Problem is, if I buy a new 6060 and find out it isn't going to work with the amount of work I'm willing to put into it, I'd be stuck with it. If a used one comes up, I'm a buyer....maybe.

I've been checking ebay regularly for V2 6spd parts in the hopes I can pick up the shifter assembly, the crossmember and a mount to compare it to the V1 stuff I have stashed but have had little luck with this as of yet. I may find that everything is kinda close but I may also find that its night and day different. This will be where I start and I'm willing to invest a few hundred bucks to explore this swap. If I find the parts, I'll post comparison photos and go from there.

In my mind, the only other reasonable option for me is to build the spare t56 myself (even though it really doesn't need it, I just don't want to touch it twice) and stick it in the car because I'm not pumped about spending 2K having someone else rebuild it when I can get a new 6060 for about the same price. The plot gets even thicker with some of the info in the thread below about some of the issues with 5th and 6th gears in the t56, namely the loose fit and the posters cure for it which involved shipping it all to TDP for rework.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...5th-6th-4.html

Still wading through all the internet info on all this but luckily we're slow at work and I have a little time on my hands. But at 240K, its going to be sooner than later before I'm forced to do something.

What to do....
Old 10-22-2015, 09:45 AM
TECH Resident

All motor?
Old 10-22-2015, 10:14 AM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Those prices are high. Jason at TDP does a stage 2 kit for 995$ I believe. After I had a bunch of worn out part replaced (and I mean a bunch) my entire trans stage 2 and rebuild with parts was 2k. Also, you can put 6060 internals into the t56 last I knew, so there is that option as well.
Old 10-22-2015, 11:57 AM
TECH Addict

Thought there was something with tail shaft length that prevented putting 6060 internals in a v1 t56 and from what I've seen that upgrade would be 4k.

Ill be calling TDP for sure though but from what I can tell the stage 2 parts kit is over $500.
Old 10-22-2015, 12:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Have you checked with Tick? They're not too far from you either. ~3 hrs

If they were more local to me I probably would have had a rebuild done already.
Old 10-22-2015, 03:51 PM
TECH Addict

Tick is at $2100 and they polish and cryogenically treat the gears for that price. Of course the guy at Hawks says that makes them too hard!

It's too funny really.
Old 10-22-2015, 05:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Tick is at $2100 and they polish and cryogenically treat the gears for that price. Of course the guy at Hawks says that makes them too hard!

It's too funny really.
And what would be a consequence of their being too hard? I believe someone else who was interested in the cryo treatment said that either Tick or TDP told them that the trans would still break by way of another weak point and that the cryo treatment did not help one bit in that regard. Always tough to know what to spend money on...
Old 10-22-2015, 06:16 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by bmylez
And what would be a consequence of their being too hard? I believe someone else who was interested in the cryo treatment said that either Tick or TDP told them that the trans would still break by way of another weak point and that the cryo treatment did not help one bit in that regard. Always tough to know what to spend money on...
Consequences? Who the f knows...I take it all with a grain of salt, use this awesome resource to get all the opinions and then make up my mind. Don't know about the cryo treatment but I like the idea of polishing the gears as I've had good luck with that in the past.

What sets me apart from most of you guys is that, as far as I'm concerned, this will probably be the last hotrod I own. The supercharged car I bought recently was plenty fast for what I intend to do so the V1 will be enough for me. At 54 years of creakiness, I just want to get this one done right and get back to the offroad world while I'm still young enough to enjoy it.

Thanks for posting guys...
Old 10-22-2015, 08:01 PM
TECH Addict

I compared the TDP stage 2 rebuild specs with both Hawks 3rd gen and Tick and their services are the same (except for the cryo treatment with Tick) but are way cheaper. Looks like RPM is more expensive than all of them.
Old 10-23-2015, 06:25 AM
TECH Regular

There is a complete tr6060 on ebay right now for $2500 with some good pics. It has the shifter assembly....its in Maryland. The shifter setup does not look at that different other than the length of external stuff seems shorter.
Old 10-23-2015, 07:36 AM
TECH Addict

Can you post a link? All I found was a Camaro unit in that price range
Old 10-23-2015, 09:16 AM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

PM me, I will give you Jason at TDP's # and you can talk to him about all of this.
Old 10-23-2015, 10:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I thought I heard you had to beat the hell outta the tunnel and make it wider/taller to get the TR6060 to fit in the V1?
Old 10-24-2015, 06:21 PM
TECH Regular

Can you post a link? All I found was a Camaro unit in that price range
My bad, it is a camaro5 one.

Quick Reply: V2 tr6060 into V1