Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

weird ignition relay problem, car sometimes doesn't start...

Old 06-22-2015, 09:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default weird ignition relay problem, car sometimes doesn't start...

So it shut down while driving about 2 months ago, towed it home and started looking into it. I literally was using my test light and touched the #6 wire on the engine harness in the fusebox and everything worked for about 2 weeks. Then it happened again, this time I pulled my ignition relay in the fusebox and pushed it back in and it worked again for another 2 weeks. Once it happened again, I figured it would be the ignition switch, so I got one and installed it and the car ran fine for 2 months. Today, it didn't start again, my symptoms are...
Turn key, and cluster lights/ac/radio come on but NO check engine light, or the 2 info screens (the ones that show your mileage and mph, oil pressure tire pressure etc.) Try to crank and nothing happens. I pull the key out and everything stays on.
So I pulled out the micro ignition relay 1 and pushed it back in and nothing, then hears the weird part...
I got a wire and put it into the constant battery hole of where the relay goes and put the other end in the run/start hole, basically bypassing the relay completely and what do you know.... everything is perfect!! Engine cranks and turns on. So I thought its a bad relay, but I tried about 8-10 different relays and nothing, they all can't be bad.

It's not the starter
It's not my alternator
It's not the clutch fuse (that 10 amp one next to the ignition relay)

I don't know what else it can be. I'm almost tempted to just buy a new fusebox but I figure everything else works on the fusebox so I don't know.

Anyone ever had this problem? I can drive the car fine once I jump/bypass the relay. It's driving me crazy!
Old 06-23-2015, 12:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have a broken wire in that circuit
Old 06-23-2015, 10:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

Anyone have the schematics for that relay?
Old 06-23-2015, 05:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Anyone know where ground G104 is??
Old 06-23-2015, 05:53 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Radiator Support, Passenger Side. (This is what my manual says)

The Horn, Lights, Marker Lights, Turn Signals, Fans and Leveling Sensor all are connected to this ground. Along with the Fuse Box.

I would find a ground wire on any of those components, and trace it.

Thanks to HeavyMetals for the diagram on the other site.
Old 06-23-2015, 06:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

That's exactly the ground that was loose. Tighten it up and everything now works flawlessly! Thanks man for the help.

To be more specific on the location, it's on the frame itself next to the radiator close to the ac compressor. Incase anyone ever has the same or similar problem.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: weird ignition relay problem, car sometimes doesn't start...