Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Clutch or trans

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 03:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by wes8398
Do you mean slave shimming issues? If so, I disagree. Even if the gap (as measured in my post above) is excessive, I think the PMC could help with the OP's issues (at least to some extent). The situation would have to be such that the OEM master doesn't extend the slave piston to it's maximum throw when the clutch pedal is pushed to the floor. In other words, if you push the clutch pedal to the floor (max out the master's displacement) and it only has the "power" to extend the slave piston 75% of it's throw; then the new master should improve on that due to it being able to push more volume. Improving the slave's throw would hopefully improve the clutch's disengagement. Even if the gap is excessive (to a point).
It would be nice if the PMC could do what you're saying it might could do but...

I don't think we've seen any direct evidence that the PMC will overcome an improperly gaped pressure plate and the post linked specifically says that the air gap needs to be properly set.

He goes on to say that the Tilton simply offers enough extra force to overcome the pressure plate fingers but it doesn't extend the operating range of the slave itself.

In theory, If the air gap isn't correct, the pressure plate will be too far away from the slave cylinder for the slave to fully disengage it, no matter who's master you're using. The distance the slave would need to travel to disengage a pressure plate that isn't gaped correctly is outside of the slave's operating range...it can't travel that far.
Old 07-06-2015, 12:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds clutch related to me.

I would try bleeding the system before I bought any parts.

After that sounds like a slave issue to me.
Old 07-07-2015, 11:29 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ls1247
It would be nice if the PMC could do what you're saying it might could do but...

I don't think we've seen any direct evidence that the PMC will overcome an improperly gaped pressure plate and the post linked specifically says that the air gap needs to be properly set.

He goes on to say that the Tilton simply offers enough extra force to overcome the pressure plate fingers but it doesn't extend the operating range of the slave itself.

In theory, If the air gap isn't correct, the pressure plate will be too far away from the slave cylinder for the slave to fully disengage it, no matter who's master you're using. The distance the slave would need to travel to disengage a pressure plate that isn't gaped correctly is outside of the slave's operating range...it can't travel that far.

You didn't read what I said correctly, or I didn't explain what I was trying to say well enough. If the OEM master is under-performing, and unable to produce the "power" to push the slave piston to 100% of it's throw, then the PMC *could* help.
Let's say, for ***** and giggles, that the under-performing OEM master can only extend the slave piston to 3mm short of it's full throw. The PMC will gain you that 3mm. If the OP has excessive PP gap AND a weak MC, but the car is still driveable (the clutch is disengaging enough, but not 100%), then that extra 3mm of throw would disengage the clutch that much more; thus, helping his situation.

Anyway - from what I've gleaned from the OP's posts, he needs to do a good bleed of the system before he wastes money or time on anything else. After that, it's time to start throwing darts.

Last edited by wes8398; 07-07-2015 at 11:35 PM.
Old 07-08-2015, 09:10 AM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I can see that...there are a lot of "ifs" when diagnosing anything unseen that is mechanical and those could add up.

At any rate, if you plan on keeping the car, the PMC isn't a bad investment.

Quick Reply: Clutch or trans