Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Just bought a 2006 CTS V and have some questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2015, 09:06 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Just bought a 2006 CTS V and have some questions

Hey guys just bought a 2006 CTS V with 143k miles. The car has a new LS7 clutch, a 28lb flywheel, Kooks Long tube headers, Magnaflow exhaust, B&M short throw shifter, high flow fuel pump, and a cold air intake. This will be my DD so while i want to do work on it i still want the reliability to be high. I realize it is a higher mileage car, does anyone here have experience with this kind of mileage?

Some issues I've had since owning it is that there are two weird noises that worry me. While driving there is a metal noise coming from the left side of the car. It sounds like metal rattling or hitting something, usually goes away when the car warms up enough. Sometimes it comes back when I'm accelerating. The other noise is coming from behind the screen kind of. It sounds like something is turning constantly, it sometimes goes away when i turn on the AC. So I'm assuming its the fan but im not sure. Any ideas for the sounds?
Old 08-12-2015, 12:16 PM
Naf
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Just bought a 2006 CTS V and have some questions

Hows the steering? I broke a few end links for my swaybars and had a similar noise. As for the other noise i feel a quick visit to a garage is in order.

As your dd i would schedule a day or two to freshen up the engine, new bearings, oil pump and rings...

This way you are set for another 140k
Old 08-12-2015, 04:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

143k is nothing. There is a guy with over 300k on stock motor and bolt-ons. Just keep the maintenance up and roll with the punches when things break. Check your engine and trans mounts for wear. Replace with new OEM or Creative Steel. Get the Creative Steel diff bushing and block as well.

As for the noises, would need a little more info before making a good guess.
Old 08-13-2015, 02:11 AM
Naf
TECH Fanatic

Whats your oil pressure at cold idle, hot idle, cold 2000rpm and hot 2000rpm.

If the drop is more than 20psi between hot and cold i would suggest a rebuild. If less than 20psi you are fine.

My truck cold idle is 40psi hot idle is 30psi 2000hot/cold is 45psi

Wot is 50-60psi depending on the age of the oil...

These are dead giveaways of a problem....
Old 08-13-2015, 02:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Naf
Hows the steering? I broke a few end links for my swaybars and had a similar noise. As for the other noise i feel a quick visit to a garage is in order.

As your dd i would schedule a day or two to freshen up the engine, new bearings, oil pump and rings...

This way you are set for another 140k
LOL, what...where do i even start with this?
Old 08-13-2015, 09:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Im 27-28 oil psi, in 111 degree weather here in texas. 205,000 miles, quality oil is key.
Old 08-13-2015, 10:34 AM
Naf
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LeanPocket
Im 27-28 oil psi, in 111 degree weather here in texas. 205,000 miles, quality oil is key.
Did you put all those miles on the car or did you buy it used with over 75k?

He bought someone elses headache so my inside voice is sayin freshen the engine and slap in a nice gt2-3 cam with springs for a little more pep.
Old 08-13-2015, 07:17 PM
On The Tree

I have a 06 also with 137km's can't hear the car running like posted earlier the oil is the life of the motor. Personally myself i use what the car calls for, don't understand why people always say refresh the motor. Not a V, but a buddy of mine has a F-Body with 170km's just ran mid 12's beats on it all day long.
Old 08-13-2015, 08:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

At 230K I did front shocks. Already had moog end links and CS sway bar bushings which helped a bunch. The front end and its pretty much silent and the rest of the suspension/steering components are still serviceable for now.

oil pressure? 30 at idle, 40 on the highway more or less
Old 08-13-2015, 11:29 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Justice-V
Hey guys just bought a 2006 CTS V with 143k miles. The car has a new LS7 clutch, a 28lb flywheel, Kooks Long tube headers, Magnaflow exhaust, B&M short throw shifter, high flow fuel pump, and a cold air intake. This will be my DD so while i want to do work on it i still want the reliability to be high. I realize it is a higher mileage car, does anyone here have experience with this kind of mileage?

Some issues I've had since owning it is that there are two weird noises that worry me. While driving there is a metal noise coming from the left side of the car. It sounds like metal rattling or hitting something, usually goes away when the car warms up enough. Sometimes it comes back when I'm accelerating. The other noise is coming from behind the screen kind of. It sounds like something is turning constantly, it sometimes goes away when i turn on the AC. So I'm assuming its the fan but im not sure. Any ideas for the sounds?

You in the Detroit area? Jason's old car?
Old 08-14-2015, 12:10 PM
TECH Resident

Compression and leakdown all cylinders. Check for consistency in compression test and low percentages in leakdown. Last time I did compression testing was above 145k miles, and it was 190psi all cylinders. Did it before heads\cam, etc. Car is currently at 150515+. If you find 7 cylinders in lets say the 170psi range, and find one at 140psi... then you know you have an issue.

I've replaced a lot since owning this car (somewhere around 4+ years and MANY miles). Starter (twice), Alternator, All mounts and bushings, Water pump (about to be twice, and under warranty from ACDelco), a handful of CV joints, and eventually went to an 8.8 rear. I've wired a custom d1s ballast in instead of using the $300 stock replacement. I've recently changed the clutch, flywheel, slave and master cylinder.

My suggestion is fix everything that pops up when it pops up... check your oil on each gas fill-up, and maintain the car, and you won't have any major issues that'll leave you fucked. If you're miles from home, no dig runs or low rolls on a stock rear was always a rule for me.

There's a lot of good info, and searching helps.
Old 08-14-2015, 02:52 PM
On The Tree

I always check the oil and coolant everytime before i hall either of my cars out of the garage. My car was owned by a older guy that proably helped big time and i don't shitpack the car either, can't afford to be spending money on it. Espcially when i don't have to. Odthetruth, how loud is your car without the cats and LT's?
Old 08-14-2015, 04:47 PM
TECH Resident

Keeping up on regular maintenance does wonders for high mileage cars. Fresh fliuds and some inexpensive, easy, preventative maintenance will go a LONG way. I am just about to turn 160,000km (100,000 miles) in my '06, and I've never had a big issue with it. To be honest, if I hadn't bothered with any modifications (even as tame as mine are), regular maintenance would be the only money I've put into this thing for the 4 or 5 years I've driven it. Any "problems" I've had have been the usual "mod hell" that many people find themselves in when they start modifying their vehicle. It's never been a fault of the car itself.

Basically, as others have said, fix things as you need to. Brakes, shocks, wheel bearings, CV's, mounts and bushings... all easy stuff, and also inexpensive. The bigger stuff is usually the result of neglecting the smaller things, so just keep that in mind. It's easy to get lazy, but it'll cost you in the end.

Oh, and this place is a WEALTH of knowledge. You're driving a 9 year old car. I can almost guarantee you that any issue you run into has been dealt with by someone else who's likely posted about it here (or on caddy forums). Use the search functions before you start new threads, and if you don't like the site's search function, just use google and then pull up all the results from ls1tech.

Cheers!!
Old 08-14-2015, 07:20 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Birdracing
I always check the oil and coolant everytime before i hall either of my cars out of the garage. My car was owned by a older guy that proably helped big time and i don't shitpack the car either, can't afford to be spending money on it. Espcially when i don't have to. Odthetruth, how loud is your car without the cats and LT's?
Still with stock mufflers? It wasn't loud at all, tbh.

With cutouts, it sounded pretty damn good with just LTs when WOT. Wasn't audible at all at idle but had a nice sound to it cruising and opening it up.

Now it sounds like this at idle and its a tiny bit louder when revving:
Old 08-15-2015, 05:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by loosenut
You in the Detroit area? Jason's old car?
That's what I was thinking.

My oil pressure? 129 at idle, 129 at WOT, and 129 when hot.
Old 08-15-2015, 09:20 AM
On The Tree

OP I have 186,000 miles. Car got cam/headers/Fast etc at 140k. These cars are made to go long distance. I would do a compression test and see where you're at. Unless you find a real problem I wouldn't rebuild anything, don't waste a bunch of money on a 10k car or try to fix something that isn't broken.
Old 08-16-2015, 07:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Hey, Justice-V, I missed meeting you yesterday at the Woodward Dream Cruise yesterday. Jason said he spent some time talking to you about the car, so hopefully you're feeling better about its background and history. He really did take good car of it and drove it with a long-term view in mind with minimal spirited driving ... you'd be hard-pressed to find another V1 in better shape at 143k.

Welcome to the "club!"
Old 08-16-2015, 11:37 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by rand49er
That's what I was thinking.

My oil pressure? 129 at idle, 129 at WOT, and 129 when hot.
LOL That sensor takes all of 10 minutes to change too.
Old 08-20-2015, 08:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Naf
Did you put all those miles on the car or did you buy it used with over 75k?

He bought someone elses headache so my inside voice is sayin freshen the engine and slap in a nice gt2-3 cam with springs for a little more pep.
had over 100,000 when i bought it

Quick Reply: Just bought a 2006 CTS V and have some questions