Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Tuning the maggie

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2015, 07:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Tuning the maggie

Here ya go guys....I know nothing about tuning the late model fuel injected LS engine line so my ignorance will create opportunities to "butt hurt" me. If its a Holley, Quadrajet or rack of Mikunis, I'm your guy.

So I bought a maggied V this weekend with an 8.8, a rowdy cam of unknown origins, 1 3/4 kooks, what looks like a corsa or B&B cat back, a magnavolt BAP, a speed density tune and a set of Canammex cats that are about the size of a soup can.

The car has had a lot of money spent on it and it appears that no coin had been spared on it as witnedssed by the $150 weighted shift **** and $399 aeroforce multi gauge. The fella I bought it from (thanks Adam!) didn't know anything about the car really and no receipts have been found in the car at all. What it doesn't have is a good harmonic balancer as the stocker is being relied upon to turn all this.

He only owned it a couple of months but had the foresight to have it tuned by Jeremy Formato who apparently has a reputable reputation. The car pulls hard all the way to redline and while it has it's driveability quirks, they aren't too hard drive around and can honestly say it's tuned pretty damn close.

My biggest issue is that it runs rich and I'm assuming (hoping) it was setup this way on purpose to help keep it from melting down. But after driving this car 150 miles to and from work everyday, I smell like the punk kid I was when I owned my Super Duty Trans-Am. Full throttle runs produce large clouds of black smoke and the smell at idle is fairly obnoxious. The previous owner said it, as well as the minor surging it does below 2k, was just part of the "rowdy cam" experience. I've had my experience with big cammed cars in the past so I can buy into this to some extent but I was hopeful that modern fuel management systems might be smarter than this.

My questions are....

1. How compatible is a rowdy *** cam and a maggie from a tuning standpoint? Would they conflict with each other and require some sort of compromise to work well together?

2. How clean can you get a maggied equipped V1 tuned? Am I just going to have to live with this?

3. Besides Tick, can anyone recommend a good tuner in the NC/SC particularly in the Charlotte/Mooresville area? The logistics of getting the car to Tick would be difficult but not out of the question.

4. Are the smallish cats not up to the task of cleaning up the exhaust stream? It still has all 4 oxygen sensors mounted up and plugged in but have no idea if the back two are just along for the ride or if they're actually doing anything.

5. Who's running a stock banlaner with a maggie? I'm hoping it was pinned at the very least but it still seems to spin true with no notable wobble.

Thanks for any and all help!

Last edited by ls1247; 08-12-2015 at 08:31 PM.
Old 08-12-2015, 08:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. Can't help with the cam. Hopefully, it doesn't have too much overlap.

2. At cruise, you should be able to set it at stoichiometric A/F and be "fairly" clean.

3. Can't help.

4. I have Kooks metallic cats. It stinks a bit at idle, but does some cleaning during normal driving.

5. My stock balancer was pinned by me 37k miles ago and is working just fine.
Old 08-12-2015, 08:41 PM
TECH Addict

If both valves are open at the same time, think they would be open long enough to see this at the rocker arm or are these events too close together to visually see this if I'm turning the motor by hand with the plugs out?

I'm hoping to avoid a cam swap because I'm broke and lazy.

I also got a guy trying to buy the maggie setup from me that said you'll be overhauling it every 12,000 miles....that sounded like BS then and it sounds like BS now. How much life do these things have?
Old 08-13-2015, 12:10 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why are you selling the maggie? Most members had them 40-50k without any issues.
Old 08-13-2015, 05:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ls1247
If both valves are open at the same time, think they would be open long enough to see this at the rocker arm or are these events too close together to visually see this if I'm turning the motor by hand with the plugs out?

I'm hoping to avoid a cam swap because I'm broke and lazy.

I also got a guy trying to buy the maggie setup from me that said you'll be overhauling it every 12,000 miles....that sounded like BS then and it sounds like BS now. How much life do these things have?
We're talking about a few degrees of rotation. Doubt you could see it visually.

I have 37k-trouble-free miles on my maggie. Other guys have many more than that. Tell the guy to go pound sand.
Old 08-13-2015, 06:47 AM
TECH Addict

Not selling the Maggie...thanks.
Old 08-13-2015, 06:48 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by rand49er
We're talking about a few degrees of rotation. Doubt you could see it visually.

I have 37k-trouble-free miles on my maggie. Other guys have many more than that. Tell the guy to go pound sand.
That's about what I figured Randy, thanks for the info!
Old 08-13-2015, 07:38 AM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Need another Driveshaft? Lol
Old 08-13-2015, 07:58 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by voodoochikin04
Need another Driveshaft? Lol
Maybe! The last go around I had with DSS ended with them offering to build a carbon 2 piece for me but I ran out of time and took the refund instead. I'm trying to revisit that conversation as we speak but I know yours works cause if it didn't, I wouldn't have bought the car.

The 8.8 is less than a year old so I'm hoping for some warranty help.
Old 08-13-2015, 05:00 PM
CTS-V Shifter Sales

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Speed density can be set for any afr, not only stoich at cruise. Sounds like he didn't want to do a complete blended tune with the MAF also.
Old 08-13-2015, 05:26 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 07CTS-V
Speed density can be set for any afr, not only stoich at cruise. Sounds like he didn't want to do a complete blended tune with the MAF also.
Working with an unknown cam might make this entire process a shot in the dark. If the cam has any overlap, would it be difficult to properly blend these two?

How's your voodoo driveshaft holding up and what did you do with the carbon one piece you had?

Thanks for posting!
Old 08-13-2015, 10:10 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would ditch the speed density tune and reinstall the MAF. Even with a cam, I'm pretty sure you won't come close to maxing the MAF.

I plan on ditching my SD tune as well when I get the initiative.
Old 08-14-2015, 05:56 AM
CTS-V Shifter Sales

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

It's not really difficult at all. It just takes some time and know how.

Quick Reply: Tuning the maggie