Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

2006 V1 Charging issues?

Old 08-19-2015, 07:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 2006 V1 Charging issues?

Ok guys I hope someone could please help me!! My 06 CTS-V isnt charging and here is a little story behind it.......

-So I got my car back from having a cam swap and the tuner said that my alternator was on its way out because it wasn't charging at idle. So no biggy I limped it home on just the battery and changed the alternator. Even though the original had tested good I changed it anyways. So when that didn't work, the shop owner who had done all the work to the car came over and helped me figure out that the alt. pigtail plug had a fryed wire. So because it was so close the plug I had to solder the wire. Well that worked and I was super excited being that I got to drive the car for the first time after the cam swap.

WELL that lasted about 30 min. and then it stoped charging again. So I just figured Im no expert in soldering so I ordered a new pigtail plug. That came in yesterday and i wired it up and still nothing. I have tested the alt. and its sending 3-5 volts to the ECU(Meaning the pigtail is working). Ive checked the 2 grounds that I know of (passenger hood shock & Driver head) and also checked that no wires are touching the headers or anything. I noticed today that for some reason I'm getting voltage to the grounds, anytime I put a charger or remove the ground I am getting some sparks also???? I don't know if that matters or im just being picky, it isn't horrible.

-I have checked all the fuses in the engine bay and they all tested fine, to me it just seems like a fuse popped or something but I don't know what else to check???????????????
Old 08-19-2015, 08:44 PM
CTS-V Shifter Sales

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Is it actually not charging or are you just getting the error message on the radio? Show the voltage on the screen and you can tell. Mine has been randomly giving me the error since I installed my newest motor, but it always reads 13.6-14.2 volts so I don't worry about it.
Old 08-20-2015, 06:34 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 07CTS-V
Is it actually not charging or are you just getting the error message on the radio? Show the voltage on the screen and you can tell. Mine has been randomly giving me the error since I installed my newest motor, but it always reads 13.6-14.2 volts so I don't worry about it.
Both!!!!!!!!!!!! I get the not charging error and the car just runs off the battery until about 8.8 volts and then everything shuts off lol.
Old 08-20-2015, 10:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

I would check the alternator and the battery cables along the length. I know there was one other issue of this but don't remember what the fix was. Ill see if i can find it.
Old 08-20-2015, 10:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You are going to get sparks because you are "breaking" the connection in the ground circuit, the hood strut ground is the main ground (big sparks).

Check the ground above the starter motor, passenger side of the block.

IMO: Do not install a "rebuilt" from any of the national auto parts stores.

Go get it rebuilt or send it out to a reputable shop to have it rebuilt.
Old 08-20-2015, 10:35 AM
CTS-V Shifter Sales

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The positive cable from the alternator runs from the alternator past the driver header (sometimes touches and melts), over the bell housing and splits to the starter and then to the battery and underhood fuse box. There is also a fusable link before the battery.

I've seen people go through multiple alternators before one actually works properly.
Old 08-20-2015, 11:45 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 07CTS-V
The positive cable from the alternator runs from the alternator past the driver header (sometimes touches and melts), over the bell housing and splits to the starter and then to the battery and underhood fuse box. There is also a fusable link before the battery.

I've seen people go through multiple alternators before one actually works properly.
Ok tonight I'll check that, but i only get the same voltage as the battery from the rear of the alt? I'm going to throw my original alt. On there anyways since it wasn't the problem to begin with, and pray that the reman just went bad...

UPDATE: That ended up being the problem, just a crappy Auto parts alternator ;(

Last edited by Turbodude06; 08-28-2015 at 09:33 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2006 V1 Charging issues?