Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Corsa catback exhaust looking for a little more noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2015, 06:21 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Corsa catback exhaust looking for a little more noise

Hi guys, when i bought my V it came with the corsa catback. I find that i'd like the car a little louder. (my buddy just picked up a c6 with an x pipe and billyboat mufflers and it sounds amazing)
On my V, we replaced the resonators with straight pipes and it sounded like complete dogshit so i put the resonators back in. now i'm wondering if i had used an x pipe (instead of straight pipes) in place of the resonator if it would be louder and not sound like ***. have any of you had any experience with an x-pipe (in place of the corsa resonator) and the corsa mufflers?
Old 10-26-2015, 08:43 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by go4lucas
Hi guys, when i bought my V it came with the corsa catback. I find that i'd like the car a little louder. (my buddy just picked up a c6 with an x pipe and billyboat mufflers and it sounds amazing)
On my V, we replaced the resonators with straight pipes and it sounded like complete dogshit so i put the resonators back in. now i'm wondering if i had used an x pipe (instead of straight pipes) in place of the resonator if it would be louder and not sound like ***. have any of you had any experience with an x-pipe (in place of the corsa resonator) and the corsa mufflers?
Do you have headers?
Old 10-27-2015, 05:22 AM
On The Tree

Lightbulb

My corsa is plenty loud. This is coming from a guy who has had a V with straight pipes wi0th bulletts before.

This is a video of my car with kooks lt's, kooks catted connectors into a corsa catback.
Old 10-27-2015, 07:40 AM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by serik21
Do you have headers?
Key question. What do you have upstream of the Corsa setup, go4lucas? If you still have stock manifolds and cats then you've got a lot of potential loudness bottled up there.
Old 10-27-2015, 08:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did a Corsa and was completely disappointed. I thought it was my hearing.

It wasn't until the OEM cats were removed and replaced with Kooks LTs and their hi-flo metallic cats upstream of the Corsa that the sound really improved.
Old 10-27-2015, 10:19 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'll agree with the rest.

About X-pipes:
If you go with an x-pipe make sure you get a soft merge. The closer the angle gets to 90* the more it creates a nasty rasp (which some like) and causes a lot of turbulence. I'd like to replace mine with an H-pipe. The intention is to equalize pressure between the exhaust pipes for even flow. The perfect x-pipe is one with two curves that barely open into each other.

Example on a pair of stangs:

Good:

Bad:

Old 10-27-2015, 10:33 AM
TECH Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Excellent video !
Old 10-27-2015, 11:56 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Additionally, if you want some more noise but don't want to go full headers, have the stock cats swapped out for a pair of test pipes or high flow cats if you prefer to 'go legit.'
Old 10-27-2015, 04:44 PM
Staging Lane

I have stock headers and cats. I did plan to eventually get longtubes and have the cats removed but i wanted to do something in the mean time before i got around to it. If i were to pick up some pacesetters and go with no cats would i need a tune to be able to drive the car reliably?
Old 10-27-2015, 06:24 PM
Staging Lane

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Bought mine with an x-pipe and magnaflows, it's decently loud but more importantly, sounds awesome.

My neighbor down the street has an 06 or 07 GTO that sounds like it's blown and cammed, was outside the other day when he was just idling down the hill and it sounded like the gates of Hell opened and the demons were rushing out firing automatic 50 cals. The car just sounds angry in all sorts of ways.

My advice is to drink heavily then go online and buy some long tubes, a blower, and a hot cam and run the **** out of it.
Old 10-27-2015, 06:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TST_brah
My neighbor down the street has an 06 or 07 GTO
You mean 05/06?

Anyway yes, get headers and get a tune. If you want even more noise, get a cam.
Old 10-27-2015, 08:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BudRacing
I'll agree with the rest.

About X-pipes:
If you go with an x-pipe make sure you get a soft merge. The closer the angle gets to 90* the more it creates a nasty rasp (which some like) and causes a lot of turbulence. I'd like to replace mine with an H-pipe. The intention is to equalize pressure between the exhaust pipes for even flow. The perfect x-pipe is one with two curves that barely open into each other.

Example on a pair of stangs:
X pipe vs H pipe- Mustang GT - YouTube

Good:

Bad:

Good info, thanks for posting

I had to modify my stock exhaust to clear the 8.8 and even though they did a pretty good job getting both pipes the same lenghts, it doesn't have that "tuned sound" it used to have. Has a flattness to it now.
Old 10-28-2015, 05:12 PM
Staging Lane

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bmylez
You mean 05/06?
Yea, same thing. The one with the hood scoops. Never really paid much attention to them since they're boring and ugly here in the states lol.
Old 10-29-2015, 03:39 PM
On The Tree

back when my v was stock I put Corsa on it. Same problem it was to quiet , I installed high flow cats and it made the Corsa 40 percent louder and made me happy. Now I have a built motor and long tubes so attaching a video won't help u
My vote is high flow cats , it's your least expensive option other than removing the resonator ( which I did also )
Old 10-29-2015, 04:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You guys kill me. I have the corsas with the resonators, kooks hi flow cats, and kooks 1 7/8" headers and when you lay into it it sounds like a 747 doing touch and gos just over the top of the car. If anything I would prefer something with less volume. I will say the corsas do take a lot of that low end grunt out of the sound but that is why they don't drone terribly. BUT if you like that low rumbling exhaust note, which I do - but not enough to put up with the drone, they won't ever really satisfy you.
Old 10-29-2015, 05:47 PM
On The Tree

^^^^I have the exact same setup as you. Kooks cats/longtubes. Quiet idle, quiet cruise but when you mash the pedal it sounds like a ****** fighter jet
Old 10-29-2015, 05:57 PM
On The Tree

Sell me your Corsa and go get a B&B..... but seriously I can't speak to my V as it is still stock exhaust but I had Corsa on my 5th gen Camaro and adding headers if you don't have them already will make all the difference.
Old 10-29-2015, 06:35 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Sssnake
You guys kill me. I have the corsas with the resonators, kooks hi flow cats, and kooks 1 7/8" headers and when you lay into it it sounds like a 747 doing touch and gos just over the top of the car. If anything I would prefer something with less volume. I will say the corsas do take a lot of that low end grunt out of the sound but that is why they don't drone terribly. BUT if you like that low rumbling exhaust note, which I do - but not enough to put up with the drone, they won't ever really satisfy you.
Corsa sounds amazing with long tubes and a cam , just pure evil.
i have zero drone with my set up
Old 10-29-2015, 06:39 PM
Staging Lane

If I get longtubes and no cats can the car be driven without being tuned? that's mostly the reason i've been avoiding it. pacesetters are fairly cheap but a tune will drive it over what i'd want to spend at the moment.
Old 10-29-2015, 06:43 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by cammedv
Corsa sounds amazing with long tubes and a cam , just pure evil.
i have zero drone with my set up
I eventually want to replicate your setup....I've sent your youtube video links to pretty much all my horsepower enthusiast friends.

Quick Reply: Corsa catback exhaust looking for a little more noise