Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

200mph ls7 cts

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2016, 07:21 AM
Naf
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by TaylorMadeMetalWork
Working on badge design to get machined from aluminum to replace factory pieces. Plan on changing the "R" a bit to look more freehand like a Honda type r style. What do you guys think ?

This way no one will bitch that I put CTS V badges on a V6 chassis
I would take these but cts-vr

As for this build how close are you to completing?

I am pretty assembled minus a few odds and ends
Old 01-16-2016, 07:50 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hefftone
Ahhh, imagine a V1 with none of the shortcomings that GM built into it.
Tell me about the shortcomings you guys have experienced personally in your cars chassis/suspension or powertrain.
Old 01-16-2016, 07:59 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by hefftone
Ahhh, imagine a V1 with none of the shortcomings that GM built into it.
Tell me about the shortcomings you guys have experienced personally in your cars chassis/suspension or powertrain.
Old 01-16-2016, 08:58 AM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TaylorMadeMetalWork
You're addressing some of them with engine mounting but the biggest is the rear diff which you're also getting to. Beyond that it's fairly nit picky stuff really but as mine has just over 240k on it, I'll be rebuilding the suspension soon and I'm not looking toward to replacing a-arms with 1k worth of factory units or $500 worth of chinese copy's.

For your use, the v1 ps pump won't be enough, the fuel system will need a complete upgrade and so will the alternator/charging and fuel pump wiring systems but for general use, they're fine.
Old 01-16-2016, 11:03 AM
Naf
TECH Fanatic

Racetronix kit with a 420lph pump will solve all your fuel problems

V2 ps pump with 6.5" pulley

But yiu will have to change out ALL rubber bushings for poly and get your alignment dead on.

I am scared of flippin due to incorrect aerodynamics but thats what trial runs are for. No wind tunnels here so have to go with what sticks the best
Old 01-16-2016, 11:45 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the steering pump info, I would imagine this is the same body pump used on most ls motors ? Fuel system will be aluminum AN hardlines, to -8 braided. Summit sells some pretty cheap nice fuel cells for less then $200 I'll probably use. This was is way easier then eliminating EVAP, modifying lines, then having to make a pick up. I'm taking a step past poly for bushings. This will be all spherical bearings mounted in arms. Name:  IMG_20110929_162649.jpg
Views: 311
Size:  121.5 KBName:  IMG_20110927_155027.jpg
Views: 297
Size:  66.8 KB
Old 01-16-2016, 11:50 AM
Naf
TECH Fanatic

You are startin to spend like i did.

But you still have a ways to go.

Ls9 heads would have been a better choice for they are tougher than ls3 but nothing out flows ls7 heads ported properly.
Old 01-16-2016, 11:52 AM
Teching In

I've got $4k in everything you have seen here. Including the car. Most of this stuff is left overs from Mahle doing endurance testing for GM. The LS7 block and crank was brand new for $1k Your right though... I've got a long ways to go. EDIT: Just sold bad V6 and trans on CL for $150, plus $50 in scrap aluminum. So now I can get a radiator to modify and still be at $4k. I would have never been able to afford this level of build without the killer deals I got from friends in the industry.

Last edited by TaylorMadeMetalWork; 01-16-2016 at 03:27 PM.
Old 01-16-2016, 04:31 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn..... Sweet build man
Old 01-17-2016, 03:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

shouldnt you be able t use a ls3 ecu and engine harness? i would imagine you should be able to tie it to the stock cluster
Old 01-17-2016, 05:42 PM
Teching In

Yes I'm sure I could , and is plan B. Company I work for spends a few million a year with Bosch Motor Sport. Hopefully I can get one of there stand alone ECUs for the broken price.
Old 01-18-2016, 03:06 AM
Naf
TECH Fanatic

What yr is your cts? if its a 2005 you could buy an 05 pcm and harness and if its a 06 pretty much like what i did. I need to see two pictures. There are two plugs on the passenger side fender and the other pic i would need to see is in the engine bay on the drivers side of the chassis. There should also be two plugs there.

I have an 05 engine harness and pcm if you like and i will let it go cheap.

The o6 harness will set you back quite a bit and the ecu is $250. Bought a replacement ecu so i know.
Old 01-18-2016, 11:19 AM
Teching In

[QUOTE=Naf;19115294]What yr is your cts? if its a 2005 you could buy an 05 pcm and harness and if its a 06 pretty much like what i did. I need to see two pictures.
There are two plugs on the passenger side fender and the other pic i would need to see is in the engine bay on the drivers side of the chassis. There should also be two plugs there.

I've got a v6 chassis harness which is going to be the issue. (If i want to use factory dash and harness with ls3 ecu and harness.)The dash is setup to receive must different signals. Its pretty unlikely the same cam and crank sensors are used in the v8... plus it has 6 cylinders firing not 8, so RPM signal is different, I would need to run v6 h2o temp, oil pressure, oil temp if dash has it, etc. to read properly on dash. (That's if harness is pinned exactly same as v8 which is also unlikely)I could get a V dash and interior harness buts that's way more money and time then it's worth. So if the price on ls3 harness is right I might be interested. .. but I'm planning on needing to use another source for gauges then my v6 dash... unless... again another variable I could get my dash reflashed for v8 , which I'm sure is possible but I'm not sure it's available to me
Old 01-18-2016, 12:21 PM
Naf
TECH Fanatic

Boss man plz read my questions again

may i have two pix, one of the two connectors in the passenger side fender and the two on the driver side chassis.

From the pix and yr i can tell you which engine harness you may run with. I replaced my pcm with a e67. You should be able to upgrade the engine harness but i need to know how it ties into the abs and bcm.

Its easy, and if you go with a pcm 04-05 i will sell you my full harness and pcm for less than you think. If you want a little more engine control e67 06-07 its a little more costly.

Ls3 harness is not an option due to communication protocols... Sorry but i am being honest.

You have a 04 so communication is class 2 not gmlan or canbus. Ls3 is canbus and very complicated to adopt.

If you go for a pcm it should be plug and play. But you would need to program your vin. If you go the e67 route i can pm you the needed parts and wiring adaptation for the 04-05 have slightly different pinning from 06-07.

Last edited by Naf; 01-18-2016 at 12:29 PM.
Old 01-18-2016, 12:29 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Naf
Boss man plz read my questions again

What yr is your cts and may i have two pix, one of the two connectors in the passenger side fender and the two on the driver side chassis.

From the pix and yr i can tell you which engine harness you may run with. I replaced my pcm with a e67. You should be able to upgrade the engine harness but i need to know how it ties into the abs and bcm.

Its easy, and if you go with a pcm 04-05 i will sell you my full harness and pcm for less than yiu think. If you want a little more control e67 06-07 its a little more costly.

Ls3 harness is not an option due to communication protocols... Sorry but i am being honest.
It's an 04. Do you understand what I'm saying about the dash, and the ECU from a v8 having different output signals to the dash because it has different in out signals from cam and crank, etc? I know I can plug in a ECU and harness, the locations are all the same v6 or v8, it'd the dash signals which will have issues understanding the signals.
Old 01-18-2016, 12:37 PM
Naf
TECH Fanatic

No issue, i am still a step further.

Once i get back home in about a week i will post a pic of my harness colors, if they match up your dash will work regardless. You have a crank output and it gives the dash the signal, v6 v8 v10 gm are lazy and take easy way out.

Lets see if your main IP harness matches mine and we will go from there.
Old 01-18-2016, 01:51 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Naf
No issue, i am still a step further.

Once i get back home in about a week i will post a pic of my harness colors, if they match up your dash will work regardless. You have a crank output and it gives the dash the signal, v6 v8 v10 gm are lazy and take easy way out.

Lets see if your main IP harness matches mine and we will go from there.
So your saying that every sensor on the v6 engine that is displayed on the dash is the same sensor output used on v8? I could believe h20 temp and maybe oil are the same but thatd probably it.That's what is mandatory to do this plug and play. The harness connectors are not the issue... and without the v6 chassis wire diagram/pinout I'm not sure 2hat it's going to tell you reguardless. The 6 8 or 10 cylinder thing... your right saying a dash (could) regonnize a different signal..... but the dash is setup to regonnize that specific signal... I would need some sort of reflash to use a different crank cam signal. The only way to avoid this is using the v6 cam and crank wheels. Then it would be problem solved on the dash side. Maybe they are the same I would be assuming at this point
Old 01-19-2016, 08:00 AM
Naf
TECH Fanatic

Let me consult my paperwork and i will clear the air. But my guess is you should be fine. It would just be a matter of if you want a pcm or e67 to control your monster.

The pcm is simpler and easier to navigate
The e67 has better processin power and controllability is the superior,

Both have the same Maf limits.
Old 01-25-2016, 12:25 PM
Teching In

Sneak peak of recent fab. Will post more when finished with nose. Front splitter mocked up with plywood. Fits perfectly flat from subframe to where I will end about 6 inches past plastic bumper cover. 1.5" .120 wall DOM for front bumper. Hopefully the rest will be 6061Name:  20160123_192826_zpsqc67oet0.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  230.5 KBName:  20160123_192748_zpsd2ahlwzz.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  211.4 KB
The packaging of the V6 made this a bitch to work on. With that removed the chassis is really easy to build from. Long straight framerails, flat bottom, simple solid mounts for several things. I think this is going to turn out pretty nice for being built at home in a three car garage.
Old 01-25-2016, 12:49 PM
Naf
TECH Fanatic

Looks like you are takin advantage of these cold lonely days...

Keep up the good work

Quick Reply: 200mph ls7 cts