Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

CF wrapped shifter bezel

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2016, 04:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Default CF wrapped shifter bezel

So I'm getting the alacantra shifter boot from B-Ruck, and I have it apart, and I had a few left over pieces of carbon fiber vinyl, so I figured I'd throw it together really quickly (and I mean this took me 4-5 minutes)
What do you guys think? Worth redoing in a more permanent fashion, or peel and leave and let go?

Old 01-30-2016, 04:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

I'm torn on the CF wrap for our interior. I've thought of wrapping some things, but have never gone through with it. On the one hand, I think there are a few pieces that are ideal for it - the bezel being one of them. On the other hand, there are already multiple different looks/textures on the dash, steering wheel, center console and seats, so adding yet another to the mix seems like a step in the wrong direction.

I think that looks pretty good, but I would have to see it in person with the rest of the interior to really decide if I liked it or not.
Old 01-30-2016, 04:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I think you're better off having that part hydrodipped gloss piano black. Then wrap the center console in nappa leather. That's my plan, anyway. I'm using styling cues from multiple vehicles, including the V2, DBS Ultimate, and FXX.

Old 01-30-2016, 05:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

seriously dude that isn't what i asked.
Old 01-30-2016, 05:12 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it looks good as is. Would look hot with a clear glaze coat.
Old 01-30-2016, 05:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by RADEoN
seriously dude that isn't what i asked.
I answered your question. If you need it on the nose, "don't do it."
Old 01-30-2016, 06:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think anything is better than the gummed up stock part. i am thinking of going with some carbon trim like this and a couple other parts we shall see how things pan out. over all it looks fine.
Old 01-30-2016, 07:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by hefftone
I think it looks good as is. Would look hot with a clear glaze coat.
You mean stock or with my current wrap job?

The piece was too small and I had to leave a seam. No Bueno.
Old 01-31-2016, 01:44 PM
TECH Resident

I'm a fan of simple, OEM interiors, but disliked the brushed aluminum yolk on our steering wheel. After deciding to wrap that, I chose to do the shifter bezel as well knowing the OEM finish wasn't very durable and would only continue to degrade. I'm happy with how they both turned out and never felt the need to wrap every little piece in the cockpit.

Old 01-31-2016, 01:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

So I'm getting the alacantra shifter boot from B-Ruck, and I have it apart, and I had a few left over pieces of carbon fiber vinyl, so I figured I'd throw it together really quickly (and I mean this took me 4-5 minutes)
What do you guys think? Worth redoing in a more permanent fashion, or peel and leave and let go?
I put the 3M Di-noc vinyl on my shifter bezel as well to cover up the scratched rubber finish a few years ago. I think it looks fine, but I don't refer to it as CF because it isn't. Doing the vinyl overlay was the only durable option for me and it will look much better than a hydrodipped part because it at least has a 3d textured surface and feel to it. Hydrographics looks cheap and cheesy as hell on every single car I've seen them on.

I would prefer a new stock part but since the rubberized finish doesn't last I'll just have to make do with the Di-noc replacement for now.

You could probably do a better job at laying it flat and getting rid of the bunched up vinyl edges in along the silver bezel edge.
Old 01-31-2016, 06:42 PM
TECH Regular

You mean stock or with my current wrap job?

The piece was too small and I had to leave a seam. No Bueno.
With a clear glaze over the CF vinyl

Fweasel, man that looks sharp. Looks great with the steering wheel. Too bad I'm so lazy!
Old 02-01-2016, 11:36 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Fweasel
I'm a fan of simple, OEM interiors, but disliked the brushed aluminum yolk on our steering wheel. After deciding to wrap that, I chose to do the shifter bezel as well knowing the OEM finish wasn't very durable and would only continue to degrade. I'm happy with how they both turned out and never felt the need to wrap every little piece in the cockpit.

This is nice.

I think you should go for this OP, if you decide to keep the bezel wrapped.

The simpleness of only wrapping 2 pieces makes the interior not look flashy, but also compliments each other.

Plus, I think the textures on the steering wheel compliment the carbon fiber wrap.
Old 02-01-2016, 01:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

No one else thinks CF wrap is a little on the ricey side since it's entirely fake? Real carbon fiber parts, sure, knock yourself out. I just think piano black is a lot classier and not false advertising.
Old 02-01-2016, 02:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by bmylez
No one else thinks CF wrap is a little on the ricey side since it's entirely fake? Real carbon fiber parts, sure, knock yourself out. I just think piano black is a lot classier and not false advertising.
It's only ricey if you think and call it CF when it's not, And If you put it EVERYWHERE.

As far as Piano black goes, it could probably look better, but you can keep the fingerprints and scratches, I'll stick with the vinyl.
Old 02-01-2016, 02:40 PM
TECH Resident

Race Inspired Cosmetic Enhancement. It's exactly what it is, and I have no problem with it. No one offers actual carbon options for the parts in question, that I'm aware of anyways. Personally, I'm not trying to fool anyone. I think the appearance and texture of the 3M product is an improvement over stock, mission accomplished. I considered hydro graphics and paint options for both pieces but thought the vinyl was my best option, regardless of what any of them was actually going to cost me.

I get it, someone may feel sick looking at vinyl carbon fiber every day. Probably similar to the reaction I had staring at the brushed silver yolk and scratched shifter bezel.
Old 02-01-2016, 04:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

I took a bottle of Goo Gone to the shifter bezel and just rubbed and rubbed. Looks better than before, but yes, it's a cheap piece of crap.
Old 02-01-2016, 07:16 PM
TECH Regular

I find the use of real cf merely for decoration somewhat sacrilegious. It's properties are amazing, it just tends to look cool. Vinyl is just a good durable cover....so if it looks like something that looks cool....well, who cares.
Old 02-01-2016, 09:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by hefftone
I find the use of real cf merely for decoration somewhat sacrilegious. It's properties are amazing, it just tends to look cool. Vinyl is just a good durable cover....so if it looks like something that looks cool....well, who cares.
This.
Old 02-02-2016, 02:30 AM
Teching In

I personally like the idea of cf wrap. Do the shifter bezel and the steering wheel trim. I think im gona try and source some wrap locally.
Old 02-02-2016, 03:41 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Fweasel

You did a great job with the wrap. My complaint is that the wrap removes one of the few contrasting highlights in the V1 interior. You could point out that the V2 has a similarly dark wheel, but the difference there is that the interior doesn't need the wheel to stand out, since the rest of the interior is filled with contrasting elements. I'm not sure how to solve that problem on the V1, but in my defense, I'm not there yet.

One of the things that I also noticed (2nd picture) is that you've got some sort of custom keyfob. Is that a remote starter, or did you shoehorn your keyfob's guts into something else?

Quick Reply: CF wrapped shifter bezel