Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

T56 Transmission Disassembly Video - ALL VIDEOS NOW POSTED

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 04:50 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default T56 Transmission Disassembly Video - ALL VIDEOS NOW POSTED

Hi folks,

Last summer, I put my 2004 V up on jack stands to address a handful of fairly standard wear & tear issues after 180K miles (clutch, bushings, hubs, brakes plugs, wires, etc. etc).

Since I had the transmission out, I decided it would be a good time to replace the synchros. At the time, I took a lot of videos of the trans rebuild.

-UPDATE:
All the videos are now done:
Hey gang,

I finally finished all the videos for the T56 rebuild. Not perfect, but I'd like to think that at the moment they may be some of the better ones out there. Enjoy!

Part 1 - Initial tear down of the T56 Transmission:
Part 2 - Rebuild of mainshaft assembly:
Part 3 - Setting the mainshaft and countershaft clearances:
Part 4 - Final Assembly and Countershaft extension clearance:

-Chris

Last edited by srracer; 04-07-2016 at 02:12 PM.
Old 02-09-2016, 04:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

This is the best t56 video I've seen.

From the time you took the first bolt out of the tail housing, to the time you put the same bolt back in, how much did it cost you, and how long did it take?
Old 02-09-2016, 05:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

VERY nice.
Old 02-09-2016, 06:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah that's scary and I won't be doing that, haha.
Old 02-09-2016, 07:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Awesome video! Really gives a great view of what it takes to do this job, and clearly reminds me that I will never try this.
Old 02-09-2016, 07:28 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RADEoN
This is the best t56 video I've seen.

From the time you took the first bolt out of the tail housing, to the time you put the same bolt back in, how much did it cost you, and how long did it take?

Hi Radeon,

Well, my case may be unique as I was not in any rush. I have 3 cars, so my plan all along had been to put the car on jack stands, take my time to do everything that I wanted (and then some), and then put it back together. During which time, I stress-fractured my femur in a half ironman triathlon.

That said, the total time was 5 weeks (9/3 to 10/18). The bulk of which was waiting for the turn around to send my primary shaft out to get welded and re-ground because of excessive clearance to the 5/6 gear (which I note in the disassembly video). I also had to have 3rdgenhawks send me a new tailshaft seal because the one they sent was incorrect and I didn't notice until it was time to put back together.

Total cost was:
$810 for kit from 3rdgenhawks
$125 for welded/reground mainshaft
$24 transmission fluid
----
$959

-Chris
Old 02-09-2016, 07:37 PM
Launching!

And this is why transmission shops are so damn expensive

I bet this gives you extra peace of mind as well. I know transmission shops have trained professionals (I'll use that term loosely), but they're just trying to get stuff in and out as quickly as they can. I'd feel much more comfortable knowing that every step in the trans dis-assembly and re-assembly was carefully and accurately performed by me. Great video.
Old 02-09-2016, 08:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by srracer

Total cost was:
$810 for kit from 3rdgenhawks
$125 for welded/reground mainshaft
$24 transmission fluid
----
$959

-Chris
Surprisingly not a whole lot less than sending it to Texas Drivetrain Performance including shipping. If you get their "stage 1" service, it will only run $1000 shipped, but I'm guessing the rebuild kit you used has more parts than theirs.
Old 02-09-2016, 09:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Yup. That's why I gotta guy. Won't catch me doing this.
Old 02-10-2016, 08:08 AM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Nice video! How tight are 5th and 6th now (press fit?) and wonder if they fit any tighter than new OEM parts?

Looking forward to part 2!
Old 02-10-2016, 11:08 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ls1247
Nice video! How tight are 5th and 6th now (press fit?) and wonder if they fit any tighter than new OEM parts?

Looking forward to part 2!
Yes - it was a press fit. I had to put the whole transmission in the press. Honestly, possibly a little tighter than I would have preferred, but I know for sure that gear isn't going to wear the splines out now.
Old 02-10-2016, 11:13 AM
TECH Addict

Yes - it was a press fit. I had to put the whole transmission in the press. Honestly, possibly a little tighter than I would have preferred, but I know for sure that gear isn't going to wear the splines out now.
Wonder if those were a press fit from the factory?
Old 02-10-2016, 11:19 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bmylez
Surprisingly not a whole lot less than sending it to Texas Drivetrain Performance including shipping. If you get their "stage 1" service, it will only run $1000 shipped, but I'm guessing the rebuild kit you used has more parts than theirs.
My $810 was a full kit with all the bearings. Jason (at TDP) was who did the mainshaft welding/grinding for the 5/6 gear, so that would have been on top of his Stage 1 price.

I wouldn't be surprised if Jason's price for the V is higher, though, because the V has 3 piece carbon syncros, which run a bit more than a 'standard' T56

If I were to do just what is in the Stage 1 from TDP, I think you can get the basic kit without bearings for around $600.

Honestly, none of my bearings even looked all that bad, but one of the bearings got banged up during removal, which has to be done to disassemble the mainshaft.

I guess my point is, you may be unpleasantly surprised if you're counting on a shipped out rebuild to cost $800 + shipping for a V transmission that you suspect has a problem. And I don't mean that as a ding against TDP at all - Jason was great to work with for sending my mainshaft in for the 5/6 work.

-Chris
Old 02-10-2016, 11:51 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ls1247
Wonder if those were a press fit from the factory?
Based on the number of people that have this problem, my guess is that while they may have targeted a light press fit from the factory, I suspect that they have a tolerance range that puts some of the assemblies into what's referred to as a 'running' fit.

Then, any amount of movement between the 5/6 gear and the mainshaft would result in the spline wear that so many report after many miles of that gear wiggling on the mainshaft.

-Chris
Old 02-10-2016, 05:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Then, any amount of movement between the 5/6 gear and the mainshaft would result in the spline wear that so many report after many miles of that gear wiggling on the mainshaft.

-Chris
Great, something else I can look forward to breaking on this thing...
Old 02-10-2016, 06:05 PM
TECH Addict

Great, something else I can look forward to breaking on this thing...
The 5th and 6th gear vibes are pretty common on this platform so I don't lug my around in those gears if I can help it. TDP is on it though...

Thanks for the info Chris.
Old 02-10-2016, 06:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

You've verified that low speed/high load situations are what damage 5/6 if they're loose?
Old 02-10-2016, 07:10 PM
TECH Addict

You've verified that low speed/high load situations are what damage 5/6 if they're loose?
That's been the general understanding over on the other forum and is what I've experienced with 5th gear destruction in a NV4500 behind a 12V Cummins so I feel confident that's whats up.
Old 02-10-2016, 08:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds like I've been doing it right this whole time, then. I try to keep it above 1800rpm in pretty much any gear and don't ride in 5th below 35mph or below 50 in 6th.
Old 02-10-2016, 10:16 PM
Teching In

Personally, I don't think it has anything to do with speed or load.

If the gear has any play, then it is going to wiggle on the shaft. That wiggling is metal on metal and is going to wear the surface away eventually. If it was related to load or speed then you would see more failures on high HP cars and/or cars with low miles. Neither of those appear to have any correlation to this failure.

In my very humble opinion, this is simply a matter of too loose a fit between the 5/6 gear and the mainshaft. And that with enough revolutions, the splines will wear out - faster with a looser fit.

-Chris

Quick Reply: T56 Transmission Disassembly Video - ALL VIDEOS NOW POSTED