Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Who has had Rear End Problems? And what did Cadillac do to fix it???

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2005, 10:24 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Who has had Rear End Problems? And what did Cadillac do to fix it???

Just wondering who has had a rear replaced and what for?

Who has blown a rear?

And if the replacement rear is the same as the original it is replacing?
Old 03-30-2005, 06:02 PM
Staging Lane

There is a 7 page thread on the Cadillacfaq forum. That is around 140 posts. My dealer is talking to Cadillac right now about mine.
Old 03-30-2005, 11:37 PM
Staging Lane

My dealer just told me today a new rear end is ordered.
Old 03-31-2005, 12:32 AM
Launching!

Dave... thanks for the flattery and just to clarify (you're not the first, trust me), but cadillacfaq.com is my site (Reed/ctsvett) and cadillacowners.com is Sal's site... I am very active in both.

They are brother and sister, but not twins.

Reed
Old 03-31-2005, 06:47 AM
Staging Lane

I'm just asking because mine is broke and Cadillac says there not going to fix it. Has anyone else had that problem? What did you do to get Cadillac to pay for it? I got an arbitration hearing set up but its 2 and a half hours away from me and I'm going to have to pay to tow the car there and then have it towed back. I'm really upset with Cadillac and there warranty department right now
Old 03-31-2005, 07:24 AM
TECH Regular

My guess is its not Cadillac, but its your dealer!!!
There is too much history of this rearend and its weaknesses.

I would get on the above mentioned forum and get as much info as possible to take with you, meanwhile I would get on the GM Blogger site and write them a letter, this has gotten some an extended warranty on all the rearend componets, so I know that Caddy is doing these rears.

Sorry I don't know the bloggers addy, but I'm sure you can find it at the site.
Old 03-31-2005, 08:17 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ctsvett
Dave... thanks for the flattery and just to clarify (you're not the first, trust me), but cadillacfaq.com is my site (Reed/ctsvett) and cadillacowners.com is Sal's site... I am very active in both.

They are brother and sister, but not twins.

Reed

Got it! They are both great sites anyway!
Old 03-31-2005, 08:33 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by GrooveCityCTS-V
I'm just asking because mine is broke and Cadillac says there not going to fix it. Has anyone else had that problem? What did you do to get Cadillac to pay for it? I got an arbitration hearing set up but its 2 and a half hours away from me and I'm going to have to pay to tow the car there and then have it towed back. I'm really upset with Cadillac and there warranty department right now
Why did the dealer say Cadillac won't fix it? What is broke on it? The only thing I can think of is that they may have considered your mods a problem. What kind of mileage do you have on your car? Did you change your own fluid? Did they take a sample and find something not right? Cadillac must have a reason to deny your claim if it is still under warranty. I would try to find out what there reason is and then fight that.

I almost laugh at when I hear the dealers say that the CTS V doesn't have a problem with the rear ends. I never heard of rear ends going bad so quick. They said mine was due to improper break in. Since the dealer owned it till 661 miles, I told them it is their fault. I expect Cadillac to replace the rear end until 100k miles are up (extended warranty). I don't drag or race my car. Even the people that do, shouldn't expect to have a problem. The main problem is that Cadillac stuck a rear end in the CTS V that can't handle the torque the LS6 produces. I read somewhere that the LS6 puts out around 250 ft lbs below 1000 RPM. I think the current rear dif is rated at 321, which is easily exceeeded even after losing some power to the tranny and driveshaft.

Cadillac needs to fix the problem. They should send their rep to you instead of expecting you to tow your car 2 1/2 hours to them.

Good luck and keep us informed.

Dave
Old 04-08-2005, 02:01 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Dave's V
Why did the dealer say Cadillac won't fix it? What is broke on it? The only thing I can think of is that they may have considered your mods a problem. What kind of mileage do you have on your car? Did you change your own fluid? Did they take a sample and find something not right? Cadillac must have a reason to deny your claim if it is still under warranty. I would try to find out what there reason is and then fight that.

I almost laugh at when I hear the dealers say that the CTS V doesn't have a problem with the rear ends. I never heard of rear ends going bad so quick. They said mine was due to improper break in. Since the dealer owned it till 661 miles, I told them it is their fault. I expect Cadillac to replace the rear end until 100k miles are up (extended warranty). I don't drag or race my car. Even the people that do, shouldn't expect to have a problem. The main problem is that Cadillac stuck a rear end in the CTS V that can't handle the torque the LS6 produces. I read somewhere that the LS6 puts out around 250 ft lbs below 1000 RPM. I think the current rear dif is rated at 321, which is easily exceeeded even after losing some power to the tranny and driveshaft.

Cadillac needs to fix the problem. They should send their rep to you instead of expecting you to tow your car 2 1/2 hours to them.

Good luck and keep us informed.

Dave
The car needs a complete new rear differential and housing and driveshaft. Cadillac is not paying for the warranty claim because they say the car was abused. How can you come to the decision that the car has been abused when I read about rears breaking all over the place? Car has a little over 9000 miles on it and has never been drag raced and all 9000 miles are either in the city or on the highway. I installed a CAI, mass air, and BMR wheel hop kit, they havent even mentioned the mods though there just simply saying the car has been abused there not paying. Thats why I'm trying to get some information together before my arbitration hearing on the 19th of this month, anyone with any info that could help me please post it or PM me. The repair is going to be $4000 or more and its not right for them to expect me to pay for it. I pay over $50k for a car that was advertised as a performance car and have not abused it what so ever and when it breaks there going to give me a hard time about it. Even an abused car should hold up over 9000 miles. What kind of parts are they building this $50k with??? Anybody have any ideas before I have to go to Arbitration and waste more money having the car towed all over hell and back??
Old 04-08-2005, 08:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Take them to court. File in small claims and list Cadillac Motor Company as the defendant. They will then have to pay a lawyer, legal fees, air fare, lodging, etc. The good news is they will settle within 3 days of the court date.

Just in case download everything off of the internet with regard to complaints about broken rears and also the magazine articles explaining the wheel hop. If they pursue, you get to read all of this in court as evidence. You can also site other vehicles that were repaired under warranty and ask them to explain why your's is denied.

Also file a complaint with the local chapter of the BBB. My family has experience with this vs. Chrysler on their mini vans for electrical system, air conditioning system and the transmission. The lemon law was not used.
Old 04-08-2005, 11:16 PM
Staging Lane

They replaced my dif today with the new part number. Ah, it is nice to hear the exhaust again.

They didn't put in the additive though. When I questioned them, they said the new GL5 lubricant (grape looking stuff) doesn't require it. The parts person and a few of the mechanics confirmed that. My Cadillac dealer also sells Pontiacs and GMCs so they have experienced with limited slip difs. Any comments from anyone?

Now I have to break it in this weekend. I'm going to head into the mountains. I can't drive a constant speed up there and with the V, I don't need full power.
Old 04-08-2005, 11:22 PM
Staging Lane

The car needs a complete new rear differential and housing and driveshaft. Cadillac is not paying for the warranty claim because they say the car was abused. How can you come to the decision that the car has been abused when I read about rears breaking all over the place? Car has a little over 9000 miles on it and has never been drag raced and all 9000 miles are either in the city or on the highway. I installed a CAI, mass air, and BMR wheel hop kit, they havent even mentioned the mods though there just simply saying the car has been abused there not paying. Thats why I'm trying to get some information together before my arbitration hearing on the 19th of this month, anyone with any info that could help me please post it or PM me. The repair is going to be $4000 or more and its not right for them to expect me to pay for it. I pay over $50k for a car that was advertised as a performance car and have not abused it what so ever and when it breaks there going to give me a hard time about it. Even an abused car should hold up over 9000 miles. What kind of parts are they building this $50k with??? Anybody have any ideas before I have to go to Arbitration and waste more money having the car towed all over hell and back??
I think you might be interested in the black box discussion on Cadillacowners.com. Onstar is also a hot topic. Generally the black box can track everything you do to the car. A mechanic told me today that they can download it to shoot down claims. But I agree with you since we paid $50k for a performance sports sedan, we should be able to use full power once in awhile. However, Cadillac shouldn't pay for racing which should clearly show up on the black box. Your dealer had to tell Cadillac something. Cadillac wouldn't of known otherwise.

Good luck!!
Old 04-08-2005, 11:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Dave,

We had another forum member with the same problem, no additive as per dealer. His rear was replaced again within 1,000 miles. The "new" synthetic still requires the "anti-chatter" or "posi" additive. Below taken from the CadyFaq's site:

Two quarts of GM PN-89021677- now grape scented
(old PN=#12378261) GM Synthetic Axle Lubricant SAE 75W-90 (~$27/quart)
One 4 oz. bottle of GM #1052358 Limited Slip Axle Lubricant Additive
Old 04-09-2005, 12:44 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by cvp33
Dave,

We had another forum member with the same problem, no additive as per dealer. His rear was replaced again within 1,000 miles. The "new" synthetic still requires the "anti-chatter" or "posi" additive. Below taken from the CadyFaq's site:

Two quarts of GM PN-89021677- now grape scented
(old PN=#12378261) GM Synthetic Axle Lubricant SAE 75W-90 (~$27/quart)
One 4 oz. bottle of GM #1052358 Limited Slip Axle Lubricant Additive
Right now the service manager is researching if I do need the additive. I would say I do but they are saying you don't with GL5 synthetic lubricants (redline is another one). He is researching manuals. I know they won't put it it there unless it says to. I'm not going to put it in there until my rear end problems are over.

Do you know if the info from CadyFaq came straight from the V's maintenance book? Does someone have a copy of the maintenance page. They are saying it is required with the old PN but not with the new one (which would explain the owners manual requiring it with the old one). They said the new one is grape scented so the mechanics can tell the difference.

Going through the 144 posts on cadillacowners.com, I noticed a few other people didn't list the additive. I'm trying to get a hold of Florian to have him check his invoice.

While I truct the info on Cadillacfaq.com, if the dealer won't put it in then I will be replacing the rear end again. I'm not going to do any maintenance to the rear end until this is straightened out.

Thanks CVP33. I'll keep everyone informed.
Old 04-09-2005, 01:05 PM
Staging Lane

They replaced my dif today with the new part number. Ah, it is nice to hear the exhaust again.

They didn't put in the additive though. When I questioned them, they said the new GL5 lubricant (grape looking stuff) doesn't require it. The parts person and a few of the mechanics confirmed that. My Cadillac dealer also sells Pontiacs and GMCs so they have experienced with limited slip difs. Any comments from anyone?

Now I have to break it in this weekend. I'm going to head into the mountains. I can't drive a constant speed up there and with the V, I don't need full power.
Am I reading your post correct? You had a rear replacement and it is a new rear different then the one that came in the car? What did they change? And why would they have came out with a new rear if something wasnt wrong with the old one! I hate to have to sue to get this simple repair covered but I guess if thats what it takes thats what i'm going to have to do...
Old 04-09-2005, 10:45 PM
Staging Lane

Am I reading your post correct? You had a rear replacement and it is a new rear different then the one that came in the car? What did they change? And why would they have came out with a new rear if something wasnt wrong with the old one! I hate to have to sue to get this simple repair covered but I guess if thats what it takes thats what i'm going to have to do...
Yes you are reading the post correct. This is frequent. I would highly recommend that you check this link if you haven't already. http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ad.php?t=16314

Do a search also and you'll find plenty of topics. The new part number is 10368780. I don't know the difference from the original. Maybe some other posters here will know.

Something doesn't sound right though with your situation. Cadillac usually wouldn't go through this much trouble if they didn't know something.

There is a possibility it is your mods. Some dealers are a real pain. Since the BMR kit is around the rear end area they might be saying that is the problem. Notice I said might and possibility.

They could of read the "black box" also. If you didn't race or drag, then you shouldn't have to worry about anything. The dealers are starting use that freaking box against us. I guess you can say for us if you want to prove you didn't abuse the car.

I would go with CVP's advice. If they have a good case against you, you will find out what they are calling abuse. If not, they'll probably settle out of court.

The dealer mentioned to me about the rear end not being broke in properly according to Cadillac. I bought it with 661 miles on it so I threw it right back on their sales department. It was fixed within a week.
Old 04-09-2005, 10:50 PM
Launching!

tell your mechanics to read the manual properly.... The service manual is a dual manual for the CTS and the CTS-v. The CTS DOES NOT need the additive because it does not have a limited slip. The CTS-V DOES need the additive...

This is from the same book that they are looking at.

The specifications are the following:
Differential Lubricant GL 75W90 G/M P/N 12378261
AND...
Limited Slip Differential Lubricant Additive GM P/N 1052358

HERE IS THE NOTE IN THE SERVICE MANUAL:

Important
If equipped with a limited slip differential, limited slip differential lubricant additive, GM P/N 1052358 (Canadian P/N 992394) or equivalent must be added first.

You better make sure they put a limted slip differentail in your car not a standard CTS one....

Reed
Old 04-09-2005, 10:53 PM
Staging Lane

Right now the service manager is researching if I do need the additive. I would say I do but they are saying you don't with GL5 synthetic lubricants (redline is another one). He is researching manuals. I know they won't put it it there unless it says to. I'm not going to put it in there until my rear end problems are over.

Do you know if the info from CadyFaq came straight from the V's maintenance book? Does someone have a copy of the maintenance page. They are saying it is required with the old PN but not with the new one (which would explain the owners manual requiring it with the old one). They said the new one is grape scented so the mechanics can tell the difference.

Going through the 144 posts on cadillacowners.com, I noticed a few other people didn't list the additive. I'm trying to get a hold of Florian to have him check his invoice.

While I truct the info on Cadillacfaq.com, if the dealer won't put it in then I will be replacing the rear end again. I'm not going to do any maintenance to the rear end until this is straightened out.

Thanks CVP33. I'll keep everyone informed.

Well the service manager looked through the rear end replacement instuctions and found NOTHING about an additive. However, he did find where it said use the grape scented oil. Maybe the grape scented oil already has the additive?? I'm going to post on Cadillacowners to see what people think.

I took slow sharp turns, backed up and took a sharp turn, accelerated somewhat briskly on a slick surface, etc and the rear end performed flawlessly for the first 300 miles. I can actually hear the sweet sound of the exhaust system. No whine, no howl. Still the usual parade clunk at times. I'm waiting to get out of the break in time to check wheel hop.
Old 04-09-2005, 11:02 PM
Launching!

If the other data was not enough, read the first line of this post:
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...=grape+scented

Reed
Old 04-10-2005, 11:55 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ctsvett
tell your mechanics to read the manual properly.... The service manual is a dual manual for the CTS and the CTS-v. The CTS DOES NOT need the additive because it does not have a limited slip. The CTS-V DOES need the additive...

This is from the same book that they are looking at.

The specifications are the following:
Differential Lubricant GL 75W90 G/M P/N 12378261
AND...
Limited Slip Differential Lubricant Additive GM P/N 1052358

HERE IS THE NOTE IN THE SERVICE MANUAL:

Important
If equipped with a limited slip differential, limited slip differential lubricant additive, GM P/N 1052358 (Canadian P/N 992394) or equivalent must be added first.

You better make sure they put a limted slip differentail in your car not a standard CTS one....

Reed
The part number they put in is 10368780 which is the same as everyone elses. The 2nd service rep rechecked the book himself for a CTS V and it didn't require the additive. They even asked a couple of their most experienced mechanics. But it did list the new part number for the fluid.

Do you have a copy of the repair instructions in writing from a GM source? They are not going to stick the additive in when it doesn't say to. I'm not going to put it in myself, because they could try to say it screwed up the rear end if I have problems again. I'm sure someone has a copy of the book on hand. Can someone scan and post it?

Generally they said the new PN fluid doesn't require the additive, just as the fluid from redline does not.

Quick Reply: Who has had Rear End Problems? And what did Cadillac do to fix it???