Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Check those brake lines!

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 07:52 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check those brake lines!

Towards the end of a 800+ mile round trip last night I lost brake pedal pressure. Pumping it would get it slowed down, after about 10 minutes my low fluid warning came on, as well as service stability. I got the car home without any issues. I've lost brake lines in cars on 7 different occasions. I took a look today and the line running above the differential is very rotten, looks like it belongs on a car that is 6-10 years older. This V spent most of it's life in southern Maryland, outside of D.C. and for the last 4 years very little time on the roads in the winter in PA. Regardless this is pathetic, probably won't matter but I'm going to file a complaint with the NHTSA.

I've had some major issues with mid 2000's GM's and brake lines.
Old 12-07-2014, 09:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

I've seen a couple threads over on cf.com reporting failures in that same area in recent months. One was a V6, another was a V.

I definitely need to get my car up on jack stands and take a look at mine.
Old 12-07-2014, 11:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My brother has a 99 regal GS and all of his brake lines are gone. The shop told him they look they were on a car with 500k miles. The car only has 65k on it.
Old 12-08-2014, 07:15 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I lost both fronts on my v
Old 12-08-2014, 07:15 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by odthetruth
I lost both fronts on my v
Hard lines or soft lines?
Old 12-08-2014, 08:20 AM
Teching In

Check the soft lines too. I just replaced mine and pulled back the rubber over the crimps and it was awful with rust. I can't understand how they justified not including the V in the brake line recall when the line had the same Part Number. I will be checking this line too now. Since I think before I got my car it saw a few winters.
Old 12-08-2014, 01:06 PM
On The Tree

When I dropped the cradle for bushings mine were a little rusty in that area too. They didn't seem TERRIBLE, but more rust than I was expecting for a 2006 vehicle. My '92 Eclipse which has been through much more snow and salt aren't even that bad. I've heard of soft lines rupturing on these cars, but never the hard lines till now... guess I should've replaced mine while it was all apart.
Old 12-08-2014, 02:26 PM
Launching!

So, assuming GM will not add this to their ever lengthening list of recall items for our cars, what is the fix? I have to be honest if I get under my car and find out that the brake lines are looking really bad I may consider dumping it. I have spent more money fixing items that should not have broken on my car than I have in mods and I am getting really sick of it. Especially on a car that I bought with 63K single owner, and no accidents. Hell I even have an aftermarket warranty and I am still out of pocket nearly 4 grand and that doesn't include the rear end or the 4 door lock actuators that were replaced on my car and covered by the warranty.

Sorry to vent, I just feel like every time I turn around, I find out there is something else major this thing needs that eats into the enjoyment of just driving the car.
Old 12-08-2014, 04:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Whitten
So, assuming GM will not add this to their ever lengthening list of recall items for our cars, what is the fix? I have to be honest if I get under my car and find out that the brake lines are looking really bad I may consider dumping it. I have spent more money fixing items that should not have broken on my car than I have in mods and I am getting really sick of it. Especially on a car that I bought with 63K single owner, and no accidents. Hell I even have an aftermarket warranty and I am still out of pocket nearly 4 grand and that doesn't include the rear end or the 4 door lock actuators that were replaced on my car and covered by the warranty.

Sorry to vent, I just feel like every time I turn around, I find out there is something else major this thing needs that eats into the enjoyment of just driving the car.
Amen!
Old 12-08-2014, 06:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

If we're talking hard lines, that's news to me. I've heard about plenty of rubber line failures, so I nipped that at the bud with Racing Brake braided lines. Then again, I probably don't have to worry about hard lines in TX, but that's still ridiculous if it's an issue.
Old 12-09-2014, 10:10 PM
On The Tree

Bent up my own line and replaced it. Easy.
Old 12-10-2014, 01:39 AM
Naf
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I wouldnt know for i changed the rubber hoses right away. I cant stand rubber hoses for brakes, especially when you want to play at high speeds.

I just redid the complete brake system on my boat trailer, got goodridge hose and SS fittings. Just waiting on a solenoid for reverse lockout...
Old 12-10-2014, 06:58 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by bmylez
If we're talking hard lines, that's news to me. I've heard about plenty of rubber line failures, so I nipped that at the bud with Racing Brake braided lines. Then again, I probably don't have to worry about hard lines in TX, but that's still ridiculous if it's an issue.
Yes, hard lines. Per the original post, "I took a look today and the line running above the differential is very rotten..." That was the same location at which the failure happened in the two threads I linked earlier. One of the cars was in FL, but previous owners had been in NJ and PA, so presumably the car had seen some wet, salted roads. I don't know if you're the only owner of your car so it's always been in TX, but if not, you might want to check its history to see where it was prior to you having it.

Concur that it's ridiculous.

Originally Posted by Naf
I wouldnt know for i changed the rubber hoses right away. I cant stand rubber hoses for brakes, especially when you want to play at high speeds.
That's nice, but this isn't a problem with the rubber lines.
Old 12-10-2014, 07:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

My car was in Michigan and Wisconsin previously. Sounds like I might want to look into having a spare...or just replacing it.

Looks like part number 25708777 is the rear crossover line.

Last edited by bmylez; 12-10-2014 at 08:16 AM.
Old 12-11-2014, 02:01 AM
TECH Resident

Another reason why these forums are so valueable. Issues like this (whether realized or just potential) would otherwise be way off the radar for us if it weren't for places like this. Thanks for the heads up. My V was an OH and MI car before I brought it to Ontario (Canada). Being that I'm creeping up on 100,000 year-'round miles, I'm going to have a good hard look at the brake lines next time i'm under her.
Old 12-11-2014, 07:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

I already ordered a new one last night. I took a look at mine and it looks pretty gross.
Old 12-11-2014, 07:39 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by bmylez
I already ordered a new one last night. I took a look at mine and it looks pretty gross.
What did that hardline cost?
Old 12-11-2014, 08:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

25 bucks
Old 12-11-2014, 08:51 AM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...rame-rust.html
Old 12-11-2014, 10:28 AM
Teching In

FWIW, GM must have used the cheapest **** in the world for the hard brake lines in their cars. Granted, my car was 14 years old when I had the factory lines replaced with stainless, but the car hadn't seen a winter in 10 years. You'd think it was twice it's age.

Quick Reply: Check those brake lines!