Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

2004 CTSV Overheating problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2005, 01:55 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 CTSV Overheating problems

My brother has a 2004 CTSV aproximatly 4K on it, with overheating problems. He kept having to add coolant with no visible signs of leaking finally he could only get about 30 minutes away when it would start to overheat. He took it in to the dealer and they replaced the entire radiator. The car still is overheating after about thirty minutes. Anyone else have a similar problem? What could it be? I can't believe they didn't change the thermostat while the radiator was out. Could the thermostat be partially stuck? Any feedback would be appreciated. He is taking it back in i just would like to give him some ammo to go with.
Old 11-10-2005, 05:57 PM
On The Tree

If you check out the TSB section on cadillacfaq.com, you'll see there's also a TSB for the water pump. There's also another TSB for the oil temp calibration.

I would be surprised if they did change the thermostat...they aren't in the game of replacing everything. the Tstat would not cause the water loss issue, only overheating. They go off what the symptoms are and then do what the TSBs tell them to do.
Old 11-10-2005, 11:46 PM
TECH Addict

any smoke coming from the pipes? Funky smell?

You say that he has a drain or reduction in radiator fluid but no signs of leakage? So, where does it go. It could be the temp. sensor but if it sticks cosed, than it overheats but no loss of fluid. If it sticks open, than you dont overheat at all...just a constant flow of fluid. again no loss.

He has to be leaking fluid somewhere. Maybe not in big amounts but through something. possible waterpump seal, the petcock at the bottom of the radiator could be leaking.

you know, it could be that he might have a faulty fan or a blockadge in the lines?

Dude. im not sure...have them check for the temp sensor, lines, fans, or waterpump. It could electronical where the system is not getting the propriate signal to kick open the fans?

good luck!
Old 11-11-2005, 01:14 AM
Launching!

is the fluid level lower when he tries to fill it?

First: The car should tell you when its low. Mine did and I got a new radiator.. I never say any visible fluid, but I qualified for the TSB.

Second: Did the dealer do the radiator install right? If they left air in the system that would be bad and could cause overheating.

My favorite theory based on what you are saying is the thermostat stuck closed... 30 mins is a long time to drive with no collant, but it depends where you live and how you treat the car. Its consistent too which tells me that its a constant issue...

Print the TSB, take it in and have them look at the TSB on the water pump/ thermostat (I got a new one of those too!)

Reed
Old 11-11-2005, 02:44 PM
Launching!

Thanks guys,
I will forward him the link for the TSB's on his car for him to print.

No never saw any smoke or fluid. The car was telling him to check coolant, and that is when he was adding. The only thing I could think of was that he was pushing it out the overflow while driving, or burning it? I told him to burp the system of air, but he said he spent 50K on this car, and he should not have to touch it! I have to agree. This time at least when he takes it in he will have some ammo.
Thanks
Old 11-11-2005, 05:22 PM
TECH Addict

yeah, good luck to him!!

Though we spent close to 50k for this ride, even a buggatti 16.4, you gotta check the oil and fluids once an a while!!

Quick Reply: 2004 CTSV Overheating problems