Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Who is running an aftermarket throttle body

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2006, 07:31 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who is running an aftermarket throttle body

What brand aftermarket throttle bodies are you guys running? What size? Any pros and cons?
Old 03-28-2006, 10:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

My buddy ported and polished mine, its OKAY. I mean, its just a TB. I hear the 90mm are bad ***. www.S2performance.net
Old 03-29-2006, 09:52 AM
Staging Lane

I have been working with TPIS on throttle bodies. TPIS owner, Myron Cottrell, is a long-time friend; and I disclose this as I am not entirely objective in the following comments.
TPIS modified the LS6 intake to accept an oval 90/74mm throttle body, which produced an additional 18 rwhp on their test CTS-V. I tried it, and it had an anoying intake whistle which was not present on CTIS's CTS-V. There was a feeling of increased power over the entire rpm range.
Then I went to a TPIS ported-stock throttle body. TPIS claims 8-9 hp increase with it, and my seat-of-pants dyno confirms a nice, but lesser, power increase. No driveability problems with over 5K miles.
TPIS has now figured out a way to mount the LS2 90mm intake to the LS6 manifold. I just took delivery of one of these modified intake manifolds and will mount a stock LS2 throttle body on it next week. My guess is that it will increase power in the vicinity of 18-20 rwhp. To mount the LS2 throttle body requires some wiring changes; and TPIS offers a wiring harness for this problem. It is nicely done and looks OEM.
TPIS has a proprietary billet 90mm throttle body which produces about the same peak rwhp as the LS2 90mm throttle body. According to TPIS the billet throttle body has much crisper mid-range.
IMHO, the LS6 manifold matches a FAST intake at most rpm levels on a stock displacement motor. It is also far cheaper. Check out www.tpis.com. They have printed a magazine article where they extensively tested intake combinations.
Again IMHO, many tuners of LS6 motors overlook the benefits of larger throttle bodies. Once you open up the exhaust with headers/cat back, a throttle body change makes a lot of sense.
Old 03-29-2006, 03:32 PM
Launching!

Thanks Rey

I am going with a 90 mm with the Maggie.This should help the blower with the air it needs.
Old 03-29-2006, 05:35 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by blownCTSV
Thanks Rey

I am going with a 90 mm with the Maggie.This should help the blower with the air it needs.
Which 90mm did you buy? I have the same plans and I bought the LS2/LS7 90mm. I'm hoping it works...
Old 03-29-2006, 07:52 PM
Launching!

Staxxin

I have not purchased one yet, I am leaning towards one by Fast as I will be running thier electronics soon.

I race at Capitol and MIR where are you in MD? I am in Arlington,VA.
Old 03-29-2006, 10:10 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by blownCTSV
Staxxin

I have not purchased one yet, I am leaning towards one by Fast as I will be running thier electronics soon.

I race at Capitol and MIR where are you in MD? I am in Arlington,VA.

I'm in Fallston, MD (Harford County) which is about 30-45 minutes North of Baltimore. Maybe we can meet one Friday at Capitol. I've never been to MIR. Feel free to email me staxxin@comcast.net

-John
Old 03-30-2006, 09:06 PM
Teching In

One word, "SHANER", nuff said.

http://www.s2performance.net/vettepage.html
Old 03-30-2006, 10:21 PM
Staging Lane

Prices?

Quick Reply: Who is running an aftermarket throttle body