Canadian Members We never leave because we have The Beer Store

Where do you get your performance parts?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 07:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Where do you get your performance parts?

When ordering upgrades for your car, where do you order them from? Do you take the shipping & duty hit ordering from the states, or do you have a shop here up north you order from?
Old 03-21-2010, 08:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sometimes it's easier to just buy it here. A lot of guys are sharper than they used to be because it's so easy to shop online.

Where are you located?
Old 03-21-2010, 11:20 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what kinda parts you need? I like Summitracing and Jegs, as well as the forums.

For suspension stuff I like hotpart's website, and pa racing...

for hardcore engine and head stuff I couldn't tell ya, I just know my sites for the 6...

Kijiji, ebay and Craigslist usually have some good deals to.

If you can, have your stuff shipped by USPS that way you don't get dinged brokerage fees...its not the taxes that hurt, its brokerage...taxes are only like 13% or something like that...nothing crazy considering most of the stuff online that you buy you will save over 100$ from buying it over here... atleast in my experiences anyways...

Last edited by LETZRIDE; 03-21-2010 at 11:36 PM.
Old 03-22-2010, 12:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Im on west coast canada, BC, so everything out here is a pain in the ***. Im looking at a 355 build on a spare motor (or just a HCI build for my motor), and ive priced out parts for both using summit, but if CND prices are much higher than just ordering and shipping from summit, cuz our dollar is decent right now, i may just do that.
Old 03-22-2010, 12:38 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by BigBadWhitey
Im on west coast canada, BC, so everything out here is a pain in the ***. Im looking at a 355 build on a spare motor (or just a HCI build for my motor), and ive priced out parts for both using summit, but if CND prices are much higher than just ordering and shipping from summit, cuz our dollar is decent right now, i may just do that.
you'd have to shop around your area to find out prices...every shop is a little different...summit usually has an option to go usps...if you go UPS or Fedex you will get raped in the rear with brokerage...my eaton posi unit cost me a little over 100$ with brokerage and taxes just go get it here...that was an expensive track day

Jegs factors all brokerage and taxes in to there shipping quote, so you pay it all upfront...that should give you a bit of an idea of what things will cost as well...

I know I just bought my wilwood combination valve from them and it costed me 115$ total canadian to get it here...performance improvements wanted high $150's for a combination prop valve...thats just something small...if your spending a few hundred on parts (which it sounds like you are) it all adds up right...
Old 03-22-2010, 12:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BigBadWhitey
When ordering upgrades for your car, where do you order them from? Do you take the shipping & duty hit ordering from the states, or do you have a shop here up north you order from?

Where do you live?? I live near Edmonton, and I go to MOPAC for lots of my purchases.

Originally Posted by LETZRIDE
you'd have to shop around your area to find out prices...every shop is a little different...summit usually has an option to go usps...if you go UPS or Fedex you will get raped in the rear with brokerage...my eaton posi unit cost me a little over 100$ with brokerage and taxes just go get it here...that was an expensive track day

Jegs factors all brokerage and taxes in to there shipping quote, so you pay it all upfront...that should give you a bit of an idea of what things will cost as well...

I know I just bought my wilwood combination valve from them and it costed me 115$ total canadian to get it here...performance improvements wanted high $150's for a combination prop valve...thats just something small...if your spending a few hundred on parts (which it sounds like you are) it all adds up right...

For online stuff, Letzride's post pretty much says it all. USPS is bar none the best to get something from the US, if you can wait. Although they are just as fast the couriers anyways most of the time.

Last edited by cutlass_455; 03-23-2010 at 09:07 AM.
Old 03-22-2010, 06:12 PM
Teching In

if you need a shortblock, i suggest schwankes. They are a site sponsor here and have an awesome iron block deal. i have one in my car and i love it.
Old 03-22-2010, 10:14 PM
Staging Lane

Lordco in BC can get you some stuff at a reasonable price, but you need to check prices. I've spent about a grand at Summit the past few months and as long as it's shipped USPS it's a fair savings over prices here in Canada.
Old 03-25-2010, 06:35 PM
Teching In

Off many of the US sites, as LetZride said, use USPS. If I can combine my orders, I use a mail service in Niagara Falls, NY that I can have stuff delivered to. Allows me to take advantage of free shipping offers, etc. I can go down on a Saturday morning and bring back. Better yet, do it when I have been over there for a few days and I don't have to pay the taxes. 3 kids = higher limit for declare $$
Old 03-27-2010, 09:41 AM
TECH Regular

this great little place called America, ship them to my Michigan address, drive across Saturday morning and pick them up. quicker shipping, and i only end up paying tax about 50% of the time. Living on the border is GREAT

I was across, picked up my stuff and back in 15 minutes yesterday morning
Old 04-05-2010, 11:58 AM
Staging Lane

If you do UPS air, there is no brokerage. Ground there is, but not air.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:37 PM
8 Second 6 Speed Director

Location: windsor, ont. canada - Home of the fastest LT1 6spd.

i get my stuff from Hellfire Motorsports..... but I am biased, lol!!!

Quick Reply: Where do you get your performance parts?