Go Back   LS1TECH > REGIONAL FORUMS > Canadian Members
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Canadian Members We never leave because we have The Beer Store

Welcome to LS1Tech.com!
Welcome to LS1Tech.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join LS1Tech.com today!

Old 03-27-2010, 05:38 AM   #1
Launching!
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 1
Default usps= no duty/taxes?

ordering a torque arm from spohn and shipping is $60 ups standard and $75 usps priority. heard if parts are shipped with usps you avoid duty fees. if thats true i'll go with them instead of ups.
colews6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 08:24 AM   #2
TECH Fanatic
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 12

USPS you will pay duty/taxes if its over $20. Sometimes you get lucky and it slips through. No brokerage fee which is what UPS rapes us with. Here is the link to UPS brokerage fee chart http://www.ups.com/content/ca/en/shi...clearance.html

You'll be further ahead with USPS

- Procharger P1SC-1 - TR224 - Pacesetter Longtubes -
-Yank SS3600 - 3.42 Moser 12 bolt - Wilwood Brakes -
flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 10:57 AM   #3
TECH Apprentice
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by flame View Post
USPS you will pay duty/taxes if its over $20. Sometimes you get lucky and it slips through. No brokerage fee which is what UPS rapes us with. Here is the link to UPS brokerage fee chart http://www.ups.com/content/ca/en/shi...clearance.html

You'll be further ahead with USPS
this...the more money your item costs, apparently the more money they want to sign there name on the dotted line...

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - still slower than the 3800
1996 3800 camaro- 13.4@100.77mph - lean through 3rd gear - Fastest Canadian N/A v6 F-body - Gone
3800 Build | Weight Reduction | videos
LETZRIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 11:57 AM   #4
TECH Fanatic
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by LETZRIDE View Post
this...the more money your item costs, apparently the more money they want to sign there name on the dotted line...
Yeah thats why when your total is higher its usually better to up the service to Expedited instead of Standard because the borkerage is included in the shipping charge and then you get it sooner too.

- Procharger P1SC-1 - TR224 - Pacesetter Longtubes -
-Yank SS3600 - 3.42 Moser 12 bolt - Wilwood Brakes -
flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 02:48 PM   #5
TECH Apprentice
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by flame View Post
Yeah thats why when your total is higher its usually better to up the service to Expedited instead of Standard because the borkerage is included in the shipping charge and then you get it sooner too.
I'll keep this in mind, I didnt know that...

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - still slower than the 3800
1996 3800 camaro- 13.4@100.77mph - lean through 3rd gear - Fastest Canadian N/A v6 F-body - Gone
3800 Build | Weight Reduction | videos
LETZRIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 09:50 PM   #6
TECH Fanatic
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 9
Send a message via MSN to eseibel67

I've been fleeced by UPS severely.

USPS is great, never had a brokerage fee yet.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:58 PM   #7
12 Second Club
1998 Pontiac Firebird

ups sucks ***... I use usps as much as possible. It is a $5 fee and the gst. You might have to pay Pst... Not sure we don't have it...
spaz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 12:43 PM   #8
Teching In
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 2

Yes, USPS is much better. I hate everything about UPS, not only the brokerage fee's, but I like being able to pick up my parts at the post office at my convenience instead of UPS trying to deliver to my door when I am at work. Also they won't accept cash and I don't have any cheques or a credit card. BOO UPS!
Shift2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 03:59 PM   #9
TECH Enthusiast
1987 Oldsmobile Cutlass
My Garage

Trader Rating: 2

USPS all the way. And on top of that, just the regular service is fine, dont bother with paying extra for the expedited or nothing, Ive found there isnt a time difference.

1972 Olds Cutlass Supreme - 455 Olds 12.30s @ 109
1987 Olds 442 415rwhp 6L LQ4/LS3 love child with 4L60E 11.90's @ 111
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4U6CQNR4Sts
cutlass_455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 10:33 AM   #10
On The Tree
Garage is empty, add now

i had nothin but problems with ups, i have 2 items shipped from the states to me and they lost both items and i had paid for insurnance made claims and got nothing back, i had no problems with usps, id go with usps every chance i can get.
krzy_z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 01:03 PM   #11
10 Second Club
1999 Pontiac Firebird

Trader Rating: 16

I just thought I would point out for everyone, that there have been a few changes with UPS and FEDEx.

I have have had really good experience with both lately, but be careful still.

Jegs is using FEDEx and they will give you a total cost at the time of order, this includes Tax/Duties and brokerage. No extras.

I also just got tires from Discount Tires Direct and they told me they used UPS, which I brought the process to a screeching halt. They included shipping to Canada in the tire price, but they charged $40 per tire for UPS to cover Tax/Duties and brokerage. I gave it a try and it was all delivered and even had the line item showing D/T/B. I could have saved more having it shipped to Buffalo, but the savings was only going to be less than $50. This is some deal that they had with UPS. Not the normal UPS ripoff arrangement.

The tires came to $848 USd to my door for 4 255/45 20's, taxes in. Try to get that in Canada.

http://tfbm.org
Old -412ci LS2! 511rwhp thru cats
New-455ci RED's MID LS7! c/w 55mm Harrop, 705hp 663ft.lbs @ fw NA
RAMPANT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 06:10 AM   #12
10 Second Club
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 0

USPS... no Brokerage fees.

Made in the North America... no Duty.

So you only pay taxes.... like if you were buying something up here. You may be lucky even with the taxes... sometimes it just slips by for some reason... and you'll save on that as well.

Silver 2006 Trailblazer SS
13.60 @ 100.37, 2.037 60'

Past President of Toronto F-Body Motorsports --> http://tfbm.org
C Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 10:10 AM   #13
TECH Apprentice
1998 Pontiac Trans Am
My Garage

Trader Rating: 3

Heres what I heard... not sure but always seems the way when i get stuff....

Normal legit business in the states will use ups or fedex and will claim there orders as there supposed to,,, if your order or item is claimed at more then $100can you will have to pay fees.

With USPS ppl lie alot and send "as gift" or normally your purchases are less then 100$ in value. I think thats why.... It seems ppl dont claim the real value when useing usps. I rarely see a legit company use this service.

But I got to admit anytime i get stuff from usps it is normally beat up more and is usually slower but normally you get less fees or none,,,, but when I get stuff from ups or fedex its alot faster and more easy to track online and seems to be a tad more reliable on delivery time. But it costs more... so I am indifferent to ether service.

-'98 Trans Am WS6 (#2760 of 3083) LS1, T-top, C6 18"s, Lid & K&N, LED's, clear corners, Prothane tranny mount, Flowmaster exhaust, 12" Type R sub w/ Kenwood system
-F bodys gone but not forgotten - '81 Trans AM S/E, '81 Firebird, '82 Trans am, '87 IROC-Z, '94 Camaro, '96 Trans Am
BCKNBLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 12:48 PM   #14
12 Second Club
1998 Pontiac Firebird

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcurrieta View Post
Heres what I heard... not sure but always seems the way when i get stuff....

Normal legit business in the states will use ups or fedex and will claim there orders as there supposed to,,, if your order or item is claimed at more then $100can you will have to pay fees.

With USPS ppl lie alot and send "as gift" or normally your purchases are less then 100$ in value. I think thats why.... It seems ppl dont claim the real value when useing usps. I rarely see a legit company use this service.

But I got to admit anytime i get stuff from usps it is normally beat up more and is usually slower but normally you get less fees or none,,,, but when I get stuff from ups or fedex its alot faster and more easy to track online and seems to be a tad more reliable on delivery time. But it costs more... so I am indifferent to ether service.
I bought over 10 grand in parts for my cars and dirtbikes. I always have it shipped Usps from legit buisnesses. I have never had a problem and the value is always marked on the paperwork. Usps/Canada post charges a flat $5 fee and the GST. It takes 2 weeks standard and 1 week priority. If a company won't send it usps I go somewhere else. The last big purchase I had shipped was my $900 Yank converter. Dave was great and had no prob sending it to me through the postal system.
spaz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 01:10 PM   #15
11 Second Club
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 11

I work for usps. I'll admit that other couriers have a huge advantage over us SIMPLY due to tracking systems they implement. But that's about it. Would it surprise anyone that in SOME areas, USPS is actually contracted to deliver parcels for other couriers? I won't say which ones, but one used to be DHL.

USPS may be a bit slower, but there's been countless times UPS and Fedex parcels arrive later to my house (some companies force you to use them) than the "expedited" time i pay for. At least with Express mail from USPS, it's guaranteed by the next day either by noon or 3pm in most areas.

And just to clear one thing up, a lot of damaged/beat up parcels are because of horrible packaging from the sender. Some use crappy boxes, weak tape, etc. Surely some might get beat up in shipping, but not ALL of them
Nemesis350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 08:28 AM   #16
TECH Apprentice
1998 Pontiac Trans Am
My Garage

Trader Rating: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis350 View Post

And just to clear one thing up, a lot of damaged/beat up parcels are because of horrible packaging from the sender. Some use crappy boxes, weak tape, etc. Surely some might get beat up in shipping, but not ALL of them
Yah I understand this.. but i still find regardless of packageing it seems to be more worn and look like it was handled more then ups packages...
would you think a ups or fedex package goes thru less hands and processes then a usps one? Dont get me wrong ive had beat up packages from ups and fedex also.

-'98 Trans Am WS6 (#2760 of 3083) LS1, T-top, C6 18"s, Lid & K&N, LED's, clear corners, Prothane tranny mount, Flowmaster exhaust, 12" Type R sub w/ Kenwood system
-F bodys gone but not forgotten - '81 Trans AM S/E, '81 Firebird, '82 Trans am, '87 IROC-Z, '94 Camaro, '96 Trans Am
BCKNBLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 09:27 AM   #17
Staging Lane
Garage is empty, add now

Watch your vendors SpeedInc. sold me a lid recently and it was agreed USPS would be used...... The UPS guy showed up at my door and it cost me another $33 to get the lid.... if I had let it go back I would have been out the original $25 shipping...... screwed either way.

I tried contacting them about it twice..... no response.
Old 04-17-2010, 09:27 AM
LS1Tech
Pontiac Firebird

Paid Advertisement

Tags
brokerage, canada, canadian, cost, duties, duty, fee, fees, pay, ship, shipped, shipping, tax, taxes, usps