Canadian Members We never leave because we have The Beer Store

usps= no duty/taxes?

Old 03-27-2010, 05:38 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default usps= no duty/taxes?

ordering a torque arm from spohn and shipping is $60 ups standard and $75 usps priority. heard if parts are shipped with usps you avoid duty fees. if thats true i'll go with them instead of ups.
Old 03-27-2010, 08:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

USPS you will pay duty/taxes if its over $20. Sometimes you get lucky and it slips through. No brokerage fee which is what UPS rapes us with. Here is the link to UPS brokerage fee chart http://www.ups.com/content/ca/en/shi...clearance.html

You'll be further ahead with USPS
Old 03-27-2010, 10:57 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by flame
USPS you will pay duty/taxes if its over $20. Sometimes you get lucky and it slips through. No brokerage fee which is what UPS rapes us with. Here is the link to UPS brokerage fee chart http://www.ups.com/content/ca/en/shi...clearance.html

You'll be further ahead with USPS
this...the more money your item costs, apparently the more money they want to sign there name on the dotted line...
Old 03-27-2010, 11:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LETZRIDE
this...the more money your item costs, apparently the more money they want to sign there name on the dotted line...
Yeah thats why when your total is higher its usually better to up the service to Expedited instead of Standard because the borkerage is included in the shipping charge and then you get it sooner too.
Old 03-27-2010, 02:48 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by flame
Yeah thats why when your total is higher its usually better to up the service to Expedited instead of Standard because the borkerage is included in the shipping charge and then you get it sooner too.
I'll keep this in mind, I didnt know that...
Old 03-30-2010, 09:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've been fleeced by UPS severely.

USPS is great, never had a brokerage fee yet.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:58 PM
12 Second Club

ups sucks ***... I use usps as much as possible. It is a $5 fee and the gst. You might have to pay Pst... Not sure we don't have it...
Old 04-03-2010, 12:43 PM
Staging Lane

Yes, USPS is much better. I hate everything about UPS, not only the brokerage fee's, but I like being able to pick up my parts at the post office at my convenience instead of UPS trying to deliver to my door when I am at work. Also they won't accept cash and I don't have any cheques or a credit card. BOO UPS!
Old 04-03-2010, 03:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

USPS all the way. And on top of that, just the regular service is fine, dont bother with paying extra for the expedited or nothing, Ive found there isnt a time difference.
Old 04-04-2010, 10:33 AM
On The Tree

i had nothin but problems with ups, i have 2 items shipped from the states to me and they lost both items and i had paid for insurnance made claims and got nothing back, i had no problems with usps, id go with usps every chance i can get.
Old 04-04-2010, 01:03 PM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

I just thought I would point out for everyone, that there have been a few changes with UPS and FEDEx.

I have have had really good experience with both lately, but be careful still.

Jegs is using FEDEx and they will give you a total cost at the time of order, this includes Tax/Duties and brokerage. No extras.

I also just got tires from Discount Tires Direct and they told me they used UPS, which I brought the process to a screeching halt. They included shipping to Canada in the tire price, but they charged $40 per tire for UPS to cover Tax/Duties and brokerage. I gave it a try and it was all delivered and even had the line item showing D/T/B. I could have saved more having it shipped to Buffalo, but the savings was only going to be less than $50. This is some deal that they had with UPS. Not the normal UPS ripoff arrangement.

The tires came to $848 USd to my door for 4 255/45 20's, taxes in. Try to get that in Canada.
Old 04-07-2010, 06:10 AM
10 Second Club

USPS... no Brokerage fees.

Made in the North America... no Duty.

So you only pay taxes.... like if you were buying something up here. You may be lucky even with the taxes... sometimes it just slips by for some reason... and you'll save on that as well.
Old 04-15-2010, 10:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

Heres what I heard... not sure but always seems the way when i get stuff....

Normal legit business in the states will use ups or fedex and will claim there orders as there supposed to,,, if your order or item is claimed at more then $100can you will have to pay fees.

With USPS ppl lie alot and send "as gift" or normally your purchases are less then 100$ in value. I think thats why.... It seems ppl dont claim the real value when useing usps. I rarely see a legit company use this service.

But I got to admit anytime i get stuff from usps it is normally beat up more and is usually slower but normally you get less fees or none,,,, but when I get stuff from ups or fedex its alot faster and more easy to track online and seems to be a tad more reliable on delivery time. But it costs more... so I am indifferent to ether service.
Old 04-15-2010, 12:48 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by jcurrieta
Heres what I heard... not sure but always seems the way when i get stuff....

Normal legit business in the states will use ups or fedex and will claim there orders as there supposed to,,, if your order or item is claimed at more then $100can you will have to pay fees.

With USPS ppl lie alot and send "as gift" or normally your purchases are less then 100$ in value. I think thats why.... It seems ppl dont claim the real value when useing usps. I rarely see a legit company use this service.

But I got to admit anytime i get stuff from usps it is normally beat up more and is usually slower but normally you get less fees or none,,,, but when I get stuff from ups or fedex its alot faster and more easy to track online and seems to be a tad more reliable on delivery time. But it costs more... so I am indifferent to ether service.
I bought over 10 grand in parts for my cars and dirtbikes. I always have it shipped Usps from legit buisnesses. I have never had a problem and the value is always marked on the paperwork. Usps/Canada post charges a flat $5 fee and the GST. It takes 2 weeks standard and 1 week priority. If a company won't send it usps I go somewhere else. The last big purchase I had shipped was my $900 Yank converter. Dave was great and had no prob sending it to me through the postal system.
Old 04-15-2010, 01:10 PM
11 Second Club

I work for usps. I'll admit that other couriers have a huge advantage over us SIMPLY due to tracking systems they implement. But that's about it. Would it surprise anyone that in SOME areas, USPS is actually contracted to deliver parcels for other couriers? I won't say which ones, but one used to be DHL.

USPS may be a bit slower, but there's been countless times UPS and Fedex parcels arrive later to my house (some companies force you to use them) than the "expedited" time i pay for. At least with Express mail from USPS, it's guaranteed by the next day either by noon or 3pm in most areas.

And just to clear one thing up, a lot of damaged/beat up parcels are because of horrible packaging from the sender. Some use crappy boxes, weak tape, etc. Surely some might get beat up in shipping, but not ALL of them
Old 04-16-2010, 08:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Nemesis350

And just to clear one thing up, a lot of damaged/beat up parcels are because of horrible packaging from the sender. Some use crappy boxes, weak tape, etc. Surely some might get beat up in shipping, but not ALL of them
Yah I understand this.. but i still find regardless of packageing it seems to be more worn and look like it was handled more then ups packages...
would you think a ups or fedex package goes thru less hands and processes then a usps one? Dont get me wrong ive had beat up packages from ups and fedex also.
Old 04-17-2010, 09:27 AM
Staging Lane

Watch your vendors SpeedInc. sold me a lid recently and it was agreed USPS would be used...... The UPS guy showed up at my door and it cost me another $33 to get the lid.... if I had let it go back I would have been out the original $25 shipping...... screwed either way.

I tried contacting them about it twice..... no response.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: usps= no duty/taxes?