Canadian Members We never leave because we have The Beer Store

Need to pass E-test..

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 09:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need to pass E-test..

Not a Camaro needing to pass, still a chevy though!!
Gonna be moving to Ontario, so I'll have to get my 1998 chev 1500 4x4 E-tested. Thing I'm worried about is while its in good mechanical shape the engine is a 383 stroker, comp full roller valve train including 1.6 ratio rockers & duel springs,Cam, heads redone and moded to allow for higher lift, bbk 80mm throttlebody,dual fuel nelson tune, intake, headers, true dual exhaust(will need to put Cats back on it) 70,xxx on the engine. So If I throw the Cats back on the truck would I have a chance of passing or am i screwed? Is there any tips and tricks to passing?
I'm in Manitoba, so passing E-test was never a concern before.
If I tell them its a 383ci will they allow it to pollute a bit more than a 350ci would be allowed??
Old 11-01-2010, 11:49 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

your best to just apply for hotrod status. Its a little hard to find info on it, so you may need to call around. But basically the way it works is if you have a different engine in the car than any engine that was available for the vehicle that year, than you can apply for hotrod status. Since Im gunna assume your 383 was never an option in your truck...you shouldnt have an issue passing.

I believe the ministry does the inspection, so they will look for smog parts, but other than that I have heard it is almost impossible to fail the hotrod test...
Old 11-01-2010, 11:59 PM

Would getting it tested as a hotrod restrict me in anyway as to what I can use the truck for or affect my insurance in anyway???
It can't really be as easy as saying "I have a bigger engine than stock, test it as a hotrod" can it??
Also what is this "conditional pass" I have read about? Is that only for vehicles getting retested? Or can a first time tested vehicle get a conditional pass?

Last edited by manitoba10; 11-02-2010 at 12:05 AM.
Old 11-02-2010, 12:29 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by manitoba10
Would getting it tested as a hotrod restrict me in anyway as to what I can use the truck for or affect my insurance in anyway???
It can't really be as easy as saying "I have a bigger engine than stock, test it as a hotrod" can it??
Also what is this "conditional pass" I have read about? Is that only for vehicles getting retested? Or can a first time tested vehicle get a conditional pass?
no it's definetly not as easy as that...apparently there is alot of paperwork that has to be filled out, and it is a hassle because apparently you need to schedule a date for them to inspect the car. This is all heresay that I have heard, I do know that you can be tested as a hotrod though and that the test is apparently a joke to pass...You'll need to call the ministry to find out more about it...then post here cause I am actually curious about it all the details myself.

I dont know if it would affect insurance, I dont think so, because I dont see why the ministry would have a need to contact insurance. Again, thats something you will need to ask though.

A conditional pass is once you have failed the test 3 times I believe, and have spent something like over 500$ to try and have the car "repaired" then you get a conditional pass for the year I believe. The repairs have to be done at a credible shop, so it's not like you can just buy the parts, show a receipt, say you installed it yourself, and then return the parts later...

you will only get the conditional pass if you fail the test 3 times (3 times is the max number you can take the test) its basically there so that people who cant afford to do the work to there vehicles to get it emissions legal arent up ***** creek without a car...(money grab still, because next year you gotta go through the same crap)
Old 11-02-2010, 12:50 PM
TECH Resident

it not that much of hassle i just import my car over to ON and the freaking car pass 1st pull my mod is 6.0L lq4 224/224 112lsa comp cam ls6 intake header catted true dual dump before axle and it 98 t/a btw all my emission crap delete best thing is i tuned my car and im running high flow cat magnaflow. i fail safety cuz of my exhaust is dump before axle but it got it pass anyway

you want to register under hod rod u need to show them all the reciept

If I tell them its a 383ci will they allow it to pollute a bit more than a 350ci would be allowed??
if you dont have reciept for 383ci then they will run test under year 98 350ci

btw what kinna cam u running

conditional pass
u not qualify for it as for the fist time register your vehicl in ON

check out this link
http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dan...rgoutcan.shtml

Last edited by tsench; 11-02-2010 at 01:02 PM.
Old 11-02-2010, 02:55 PM
TECH Regular

I passed mine legitametly on my own tune as well...it all depends on the setup and the tune though...your other issue is, once you fail, no one will pass you "under the table" as you've already become a read flag for the ministry (fail with flying colours, then pass with flying colours)...just something else to think about...
Old 11-02-2010, 04:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Not a Camaro needing to pass, still a chevy though!!
Gonna be moving to Ontario, so I'll have to get my 1998 chev 1500 4x4 E-tested. Thing I'm worried about is while its in good mechanical shape the engine is a 383 stroker, comp full roller valve train including 1.6 ratio rockers & duel springs,Cam, heads redone and moded to allow for higher lift, bbk 80mm throttlebody,dual fuel nelson tune, intake, headers, true dual exhaust(will need to put Cats back on it) 70,xxx on the engine. So If I throw the Cats back on the truck would I have a chance of passing or am i screwed? Is there any tips and tricks to passing?
I'm in Manitoba, so passing E-test was never a concern before.
With Magnaflow Hi flow cats you should pass -unless your CAM is too big. Dump a couple cans of GTP and you should be fine.
Old 11-02-2010, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by tsench
it not that much of hassle i just import my car over to ON and the freaking car pass 1st pull my mod is 6.0L lq4 224/224 112lsa comp cam ls6 intake header catted true dual dump before axle and it 98 t/a btw all my emission crap delete best thing is i tuned my car and im running high flow cat magnaflow. i fail safety cuz of my exhaust is dump before axle but it got it pass anyway

you want to register under hod rod u need to show them all the reciept

if you dont have reciept for 383ci then they will run test under year 98 350ci

btw what kinna cam u running

conditional pass
u not qualify for it as for the fist time register your vehicl in ON

check out this link
http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dan...rgoutcan.shtml
Thanks guys.

My cam is a 218/224, lobe separation 112 . What did it cost to get your car tuned? My truck has some kinda nelson 87/93 octane tune.
Your car has what, a 350 stock?
Oh, and if my rear 02 sensors are mia or not working will they care?? They just do a sniffer test and take a look to make sure the cats are there and your gas cap is good right?

Last edited by manitoba10; 11-02-2010 at 06:22 PM.
Old 11-02-2010, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by Jamesbond2509
With Magnaflow Hi flow cats you should pass -unless your CAM is too big. Dump a couple cans of GTP and you should be fine.
Wow, do you pass emissions with that truck in your sig??
Old 11-02-2010, 06:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Wow, do you pass emissions with that truck in your sig??
I pass normal emissions which is pretty stringent. Actually my truck pollutes less than many vehicles because of the efficiency of the high flow cats. If you want a sanity check, there are some mechanics with portable sniffers and can give you a quick reading of what your emissions are prior to a test.

Good Luck
Old 11-02-2010, 06:31 PM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

My understanding is it has to be a different block, not the cubic inches to get the "Hot Rod" status.

If you have a mild cam and can tune it a little lean and remove some of the timing at idle, plus pour in a couple bottles of gas line anti freeze you will likely pass.

Make sure the motor is good and hot before the test.
Old 11-02-2010, 08:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

218/224, lobe separation 112 will be challenging due to your low LSA. As rampant suggest take timing out, I actually increased curb idle speed so the cam is not letting fuel pass through and that passed with flying colours. My challenge was the 40kmph roll. For your model year the specifications were much more laxed. Just check with one of thoe portable meters if you need a mechanic who has one of those - PM me.

Good Luck
Old 11-02-2010, 08:30 PM

Would the 1/4 tank fuel and dumping some alcohol in help? What I'm wondering is it worth trying to take the truck with me or should I try and sell it and get something else? Don't wanna be stuck with something I can't drive once I get out there.
Old 11-02-2010, 10:02 PM
TECH Resident

which city u moving to i can help ya delete the rear O2 sensor out. to answer your question (What did it cost to get your car tuned? My truck has some kinda nelson 87/93 octane tune.
Your car has what, a 350 stock)

i tune it myself stock is 5.7L 350 i guess. i change my engine to lq4 6.0L just do the same as Rampant said If you have a mild cam and can tune it a little lean and remove some of the timing at idle, plus pour in a couple bottles of gas line anti freeze you will likely pass.
i do the same as Rampant tune it a little lean
but i dont trust gas anti freeze, just throw cat on give it a try see how is goes and see what need to be done then u can figure that out now it just shoot in the dark
Old 11-02-2010, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by tsench
which city u moving to i can help ya delete the rear O2 sensor out. to answer your question (What did it cost to get your car tuned? My truck has some kinda nelson 87/93 octane tune.
Your car has what, a 350 stock)

i tune it myself stock is 5.7L 350 i guess. i change my engine to lq4 6.0L just do the same as Rampant said If you have a mild cam and can tune it a little lean and remove some of the timing at idle, plus pour in a couple bottles of gas line anti freeze you will likely pass.
i do the same as Rampant tune it a little lean
but i dont trust gas anti freeze, just throw cat on give it a try see how is goes and see what need to be done then u can figure that out now it just shoot in the dark
How do you guys tune your engine lean and change timing? Tuner/programmer? Yeah, I guess I'll have to try and see. then tweak it till it passes.
I see their going to "on-board diagnostic inspections" in the next yr or 2 for '98 and up. Will that make it easier or harder for us to pass?
Old 11-02-2010, 11:18 PM
TECH Regular

if you have hp tuners your gold...even with OBD inspections...hp tuners allows you to turn off every engine code (literally turn off so that it never ever comes on) in your vehicle if you choose.

I think they support most GM vehicles so you should be alright, I would check into it though.

another trick I did with my car is, bump your idle speed to as close to 1200rpm as you can without the car going over...this will allow your idle to burn cleaner.

Actually, the place that did my emissions didn't orignally want to do it because my idle "appeared" to be over 1500rpm...it wasnt until I put my laptop on it and showed him my scans that he said ok...but he was scratching his head at why I had a laptop that hooked up to my car ...I told him I was an aspiring mechanic lol...(pure b.s)

edit: I don't know how much of a difference the LSA makes for you V8 guys, but my cam spec that I passed with was 210/220 .512/.512 (gross lift) on a 112 LSA

she passed in every category with flying colours except one...I cant remember which one, but she just squeaked by if I remember correctly...but it was all on the first try anyways....
Old 11-02-2010, 11:41 PM
TECH Resident

ill say go for it you'll pass dont need to worry if i can pass with 224/224 112lsa give it a try and see and my idle was 800-850 and i use hp tuners i just have mine done last month so no onboard yet, if not take it to Champion Motors have them tune for ya they are sponsor here
Old 11-03-2010, 06:37 PM

Which would be better a better system HP tuners or EFI live?? Both look good. some people say one some say the other.
Old 11-03-2010, 06:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With good cats and a half *** tune you should pass no problem. Your cam is nothing in a 383. I got my old 350 LT1 230/230 .600 112 LSA through with flying colours.
Old 11-03-2010, 07:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If a 230/230 112 LSA passes with flying colours then you have a very good chance of passing. Just remember that the newer the model year the more stringent the specification. If you have TBI then the specs are more laxed. With my 2002 the specs were very tight.

Good luck

Quick Reply: Need to pass E-test..