Canadian Members We never leave because we have The Beer Store

STS LS2 Build on 1998 Z28 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 01:31 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fstr n u
HRHohio....thank you very much for the idea. My computer crapped out on me prior to getting your emial, and i only remember you mentioning using metal duct working to create a shield...so this is what i came up with your idea...so thank you...i think it will work for what i need.
Hahaha... Great minds think alike! LOL. Glad to help plant the seed of inspiration.
Old 07-02-2013, 12:03 AM
On The Tree

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I finally have my car oil leaking free (on the ground). My car is still smoking a bit with boost...but it's getting less and less. Here's a pic of the PCV setup on the passenger side:

I can't photograph the driver side as it's tucked too far in to see.

Front wheels have a bit of a vibration (they'll be going back for a rebalancing at some point).
Old 07-04-2013, 11:03 AM
On The Tree

1. Front wheels are out of round...so a new set of Michelin Pilot Super Sports (275/35/18) are on order.

2. Check valve was left off the turbo...just found it this morning. So we'll get that on next week and see if the oiling issue comes to a halt.

3. I had a safe tune put on the car to keep me rolling until we can coordinate some dyno tuning and dial up the boost.

4. I think for the most part, most of the major issues are resolved and/or soon to be. I think this is now 4-5 years and counting since the STS turbo went on...and it's been problem solving/fixing and swearing since

I'm very happy to see this car finally getting to a point where i should be able to enjoy it without having it up on jackstands and not running for extended periods of time. Next season i'll focus on upgrading the fuel system and taking care of interior trim bits and cleaning up the car.
Old 07-12-2013, 03:01 PM
On The Tree

Front tires installed and vibrations gone...only problem is that the supplier sent out the All Season variant of the Michelin Pilot Super Sport which were installed. The supplier is sending out the proper tires and should be here next week

Check valve reinstalled and oiling issues resolved...finally!

Alignment was finally done as well...the last shop 2 years ago didn't want to remove the boost tube near the front left wheel, so i got that done and the car is a lot less darty.

As the car had a really safe tune (10.0 at WOT), i dialed in 2 more pounds of boost bringing my AFR's to 11.6 and she's pulling strong.

I am just awaiting a dyno tune session to dial in the tune better and bring the boost up a little (maybe 14-15lbs) and see what the numbers look like.

When that is done we'll do some driving and tuning and clean everything up.

Vids and graph will come when time allows.
Old 08-14-2013, 01:31 PM
On The Tree

Finally got to run the car at the track without a solid tune. Ran 123mph in the quarter with a high 12 sec et. 2 decent runs, 1 with lots of wheel spin off the line and the other i bogged like no ones business which sucked.

The camaro has a 125mph run in it with its current setup and safe initial tune.

I am awaiting some dyno time when it works out and i'll get the car back out and see how it does.
Old 08-15-2013, 12:09 AM
On The Tree

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

125 mph should be good for about a 11.20 if you could get a good 60 ft start.
Looking forward to your next dyno results.
Old 08-15-2013, 01:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by fstr n u
Finally got to run the car at the track without a solid tune. Ran 123mph in the quarter with a high 12 sec et. 2 decent runs, 1 with lots of wheel spin off the line and the other i bogged like no ones business which sucked.

The camaro has a 125mph run in it with its current setup and safe initial tune.

I am awaiting some dyno time when it works out and i'll get the car back out and see how it does.
Any idea what mph/time you were doing in the 1/8th?
Old 08-15-2013, 03:40 PM
On The Tree

1/8: 8.788 seconds
mph: 92.01

I'd like to see how this changes with a decent launch. I am going to try again on August 23rd at our local Cruise Weekend drag races. I'll probably get 2 runs in as it gets too busy once the event gets going.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:52 PM
On The Tree

Finally got the Camaro dyno'd with the turbonetics turbo. 1st run was our best, though the AFR"s were a bit rich. 2 more runs were made with the last one included in the dyno vid i'll post below.

Here are the dyno sheets on the 1st and best run of the night. The tune was restored to the 1st run as that's where we made the most power. Next up will be some driveability tuning to enhance the pre-boost responsiveness.

Final numbers for the night were:

655 rhwp @ 5684 rpm
722 rwtq @ 4558 rpm

Nothing blew up, leaked or burned (except for a dyno strap...sorry about that Performance Plus).

Dyno run:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiCWh...ature=youtu.be

Dyno sheets:

Old 08-23-2013, 05:18 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

U must be happy with that
Old 08-28-2013, 03:09 PM
On The Tree

For sure. The car is making big numbers and feels fast. I have to spend some time to learn how best to launch the car as my 60 ft's are aweful

I am also emailing Cam Motion about my current build as i was hoping to see the poweband (horsepower curve) continue to build power until at least 6,000rpms and with the current dyno sheet, hp peaks around 5,000rpms and plateaus until 5,600rpm where it falls off.

I don't know if this is a rear mount thing or a camshaft issue or a combination of the two. I should know a little more soon.
Old 08-28-2013, 03:36 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm having the same problem with mine. My peak HP is around 5200 and peak tq is around 4200. Running the On3 76mm Ceramic turbo, LS9 Cam (211/230 on 122.5LSA). I was thinking that my turbine (68mm) was too small, but if you're running a 75/75 and having the same issue, perhaps it's not my turbo. Interesting. Good numbers regardless. After 5500 you can really feel the power die off. I didn't like that. (I just had my tuner adjust my shift points to 5800 now instead of 6200, for now. )
Old 08-29-2013, 03:45 PM
TECH Regular

I made 675whp with my ON3 76. Not sure if its the turbo.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:36 PM
On The Tree

I'm thinking there are 2 problems that i have to sort out:

1: my waste gate spring is pooched...got a 10# on order. Will be in for October and ready for the 2014 season

2. From the dyno graph i can see an abrupt buildup of power where the waste gate is bleeding off boost. I think with an additional 2-6# of bost my dyno graph "should" look a bit different at the higher rpms. I'll know better next season once we re-Dyno with extra boost
Old 11-05-2013, 01:47 AM
On The Tree

I finally received my new wastegate spring after 2 months of waiting. I will get it installed over the winter and clean up the air filter and have another go at the dyno with it's current setup and see how it does.

We got hit with a bunch of rain/snow, so my car is parked until May 2014..gotta love living in the north
Old 11-06-2013, 11:15 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your graphs look like you have a restriction there somewhere. Hp and Tq almost seem to be backwards. Hp should not flatline like that and Tq should not peak like that either. Good numbers for sure, but I'd start looking at flow restrictions if you want more!
Old 11-14-2013, 12:25 AM
On The Tree

Next season i'm hoping to dyno the car with:

1. a new and clean air filter
and...
2. a new wastegate spring

If there is no difference in the dyno graph, then i'll be looking at the charge pipe from the turbo to the intercooler (2.25")...that's the only other restriction/problem i can identify. I have a great set of heads, decent turbo cam, upgraded intake and ported throttle body and a free flowing exhaust to turbo.

Any other thoughts on what could cause a restriction other than the intake/charge pipe from turbo to intercooler?
Old 01-29-2014, 07:01 PM
On The Tree

These winter months are killing me....as i'm sure they are most people up north here.

I've got my father's 69 SS Camaro stored under mine and no ability to pull his or mine out due to the ice on our roads.

Looking forward to May when the ice buildup on the driveway (which faces directly north) and the street has melted enough to move cars around to start working on them again

Old 03-11-2014, 02:17 PM
On The Tree

A small part of me is wondering if the restriction isn't with the stock (slightly ported throttle body and LS6 intake).

I'll see what the flow numbers are of a stock vs larger throttle body and LS6 vs larger intake and see if i need to go down that road to sort out why the dyno graph looks the way it does.

It's still possible the stock charge pipe (STS) is simply too small to carry the correct amount of boost to the motor.

Lots of variables.
Old 03-11-2014, 03:48 PM
TECH Regular

Many people have made big power with stock intakes and throttle bodies.
A lot of people think a 76mm turbo does not belong on anything larger then a 5.7.
What is the topend of your motor like. If its built like the 402 your going to have to Live with those numbers unless you want to change your turbo again.
Sounds like your motor is larger then your turbo set-up.
Lots of people have set-ups that make more torque then HP.
Your car is making good power. Keep the boost down till you need it and that will keep your back pressure down too.
Pick a HP number you want and be happy with it. If you don't you will chase something for ever. Its never ends

Last edited by fastcars95; 03-11-2014 at 03:54 PM.

Quick Reply: STS LS2 Build on 1998 Z28 Camaro