Canadian Members We never leave because we have The Beer Store

More BC Kelowna questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 06:19 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We do need a club, I have seen a few fbody cars around, a lot actually. Penticton is about 45min away, I goto Kelowna a lot and its a really nice drive compared to flat alberta.

I had the LT1 first, but had nothing but trouble with it so while I was attempting to get it running I bought my ls1 formula, I really utterly love it. As much as I love the lt1 I will be selling it, perhaps its just me but I really find I have a lot more room in the ls1 then the lt1 one, I dunno if they changed the interior or what but I am a lot more comphy.. so that matters a lot to me.

The shop I deal with chargers 59$ an hour here in penticton, so I will let you know how it ends up with my car and if they do a good job. Its just one guy who used to work on bikes but he has about 30 years of experience with cars and so far has really impressed me so we will see.

I'm kind of hoping to sell off the 95 and use the money to start hunting for a nice 98-02 trans-am.. the -only- thing I wonder is if the trans-am and formulas were different on the inside? Perhaps thats why I fit in the formula way better then the ta.. either way.. I think I manual is no option for me(6'8) I dont see how it could work, kind of too bad but I guess its a matter of finding one to sit in and see how it is.

As for a club, hell ya, so far I can think of about 4 other lt1 cars I have seen and at least 3 or 4 ls1's.. just around Penticton.. and its not even that nice yet(in their terms lol)
Old 04-13-2012, 06:44 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DamoclesX
We do need a club, I have seen a few fbody cars around, a lot actually. Penticton is about 45min away, I goto Kelowna a lot and its a really nice drive compared to flat alberta.

I had the LT1 first, but had nothing but trouble with it so while I was attempting to get it running I bought my ls1 formula, I really utterly love it. As much as I love the lt1 I will be selling it, perhaps its just me but I really find I have a lot more room in the ls1 then the lt1 one, I dunno if they changed the interior or what but I am a lot more comphy.. so that matters a lot to me.

The shop I deal with chargers 59$ an hour here in penticton, so I will let you know how it ends up with my car and if they do a good job. Its just one guy who used to work on bikes but he has about 30 years of experience with cars and so far has really impressed me so we will see.

I'm kind of hoping to sell off the 95 and use the money to start hunting for a nice 98-02 trans-am.. the -only- thing I wonder is if the trans-am and formulas were different on the inside? Perhaps thats why I fit in the formula way better then the ta.. either way.. I think I manual is no option for me(6'8) I dont see how it could work, kind of too bad but I guess its a matter of finding one to sit in and see how it is.

As for a club, hell ya, so far I can think of about 4 other lt1 cars I have seen and at least 3 or 4 ls1's.. just around Penticton.. and its not even that nice yet(in their terms lol)
Wow we are both up late tonite!
I have seen a reasonable amount of f bodies in town already. Guy not too far from me on Gordon has nice black formula lt1 and yellow third gen.
Seen a yellow anniversary ta yesterday took pic of it in Home Depot parking lot.
See a nice red lt1 driving around almost daily near me. There was guy with nice ta at OKM high school student that saw not long ago.

I will likely be getting my son here an f body but maybe six cylinder for his first car. And maybe also getting one for my son in Victoria if he ever gets his liscence he is 22 son in Kelowna is 15 turning 16 in sept.

And I plan to maybe get another f body maybe super duty second gen at some point in the future or 2nd gen bandit like had when I was young or maybe 10th anniversay second gen always love those cars.

There is zero reason and zero difference in interior between formulas and trans ams. TAs might have power seat options sometimes formulas were pretty stripped down they were a lower model. But also lower production numbers so guess in a way more rare depends on how you look at it.
I like ls1 quite a bit better than lt1. I dont' like optipuke distributor at all. Nothing but trouble. Although there are some options now like msd one and some kits to eliminate and convert to ls1 setups.
Lt1 engine is more annoying for things like plug changes,ignition wiring too.
Lt1 engine is pretty good though like the sound of lt1 bit better than ls1. LS1 more prone to piston slap problems. Ls1 don't get intake leak problem that is common on lt1 cars fixed that problem few times on my 97 ta.
Ls1 of course more power out of the box fact ls1 are underated by like 50 hp.

My favorite ls1 of course is ram air ta. To me nothing looks meaner,In black they look pure evil but hate black cars after owning a few ,my first car was 77 bandit ta back in 1978.Yes am that old!

So penticton is about as far away as Moose Jaw . Ok for sure will come down there sometime likely this summer .

That labor rate sounds not too bad at all. And cars are pretty much cars . My mechanics back home were old school racing guys. They learned pretty quick how to work on my lt1 and ls1s. Just need shop manuals and away you go pretty much fact ls1 engine has way less gaskets than lt1 and previous small blocks so thats another nice thing. Way less places for oil leaks . LS1 is a very nice design and can also get great gas mileage.

So how old are you and what do you do for work?
Old 04-20-2012, 09:51 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi
I live in Summerland am a member of the Kelowna Corvette club so contact me if you want details, they also organize Autocross events if that interests you.
Let me know who your mechanic is in Penticton if you recommend him do my own at the moment.
Interesting about the 1/8 mile strip nether new it was there may make a visit soon.
Mike
Old 06-03-2012, 10:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Hey guys . Update . As you can see in my other threads my 99 twin turbo is now in Kelowna as of this afternoon. Unfortunately only have very short permit on it it expires in think 24 hours. Sask travel permit.

And of course need to safety it if keep it but may sell it ,may keep it.
No big rush to sell it and not that motivated to but have some different ideas that might pursue.

I am mostly wondering if will need to put a ypipe with cats on the car to pass.It has to be an aftermarket pipe so will cost me like a grand I think to get it. Think only one made that fits my turbo headers is kooks ypipe.I have hooker catless ypipe on there now.

I have problem with headlight can't fix think its crushed or cut wire but the headlights if left up work fine. So maybe that can still pass. I may need to borrow some back mags tires from one of you not sure if my current toyo drag radials would pass maybe not enough tread depth left and do have some new et street radials will they pass those?

I have new brakes and pretty much everything else in the car works it only has 28k on it. Not much for a 99.

So would like to see if we can have a few of us meet up maybe start collecting some phone numbers.

And I am interesting in hiring a personal mechanic like had back in Regina.
Anyone know anyone you can refer him to me. I am not a bad mechanic and will do some stuff on my car but getting bit too old for it and pretty busy with new job in real estate working for Royal Lepage. Any of you f body guys need a home,condo etc let me know I am also very good with creative financing and my specialty is investment property.Stock market is not so great these days and banks don't pay much interest and think Kelowna is a really good place to invest now . Fact invested heavy in it myself when moved out here last fall. Worked in the field over 10 years back in Regina.

To the guy in the vette club likely join this year for sure. No interest in drag racing my vette, or autocross or road racing it. Things like that with no insurance don't interest me. I have cheap talon race car to take to drag tracks for that.

But would like to join to hang with some other vette owners. But have to admit f bodies are my first love and while love my new vette still really really love my firebirds and especially trans ams.

So any of you guys want to maybe arrange a meeting pm me your phone numbers and maybe we can have a nice casual first mini meet. I may not be able to bring my 99 it as said all depends on how easy and expensive it will be to safety it here and if still have it.
But even at worst if sell it looking at getting son an f body. And no not giving him my twin turbo,even demodded. No car for a sixteen year old boy.
Thinking more a v6 fourth gen for his first or a third or 2nd gen.
Old 06-04-2012, 07:43 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

contact cutting edge performance out just past mccurdy, they fixed the work on my car and have some serious cars of there own, im sure they could set yah up. would be nice to see another boosted f body in town
Old 06-04-2012, 08:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Talked to them today. They are serious guys it sounds like for sure.Pro mods 6 second quarters.Crazy for sure. And some have some very wild street cars too it sounds like.
Sure be dropping by there to visit sooner rather than later.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:57 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

they have some pretty wild **** for sure haha
Old 06-06-2012, 01:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Drag races in osyoose this weekend too apparently, on the sunday, if anyone is going down.
Old 05-25-2015, 09:17 AM
TECH Veteran

Time for some updates. Plated up my 99 TT and will be driving it here and there to show and shines and car shows ,etc.

Took my 2002 TA to Osoyoos and raced it on Sunday. Was disappointed in it according to 1/4 mile converter it did this on best run.

Your 1/4 Mile ET is 14.61 seconds computed from your vehicle 1/8th ET of 9.35 seconds.
Your 1/4 Mile MPH is 97.44 MPH computed from your vehicle 1/8th MPH of 78.58 MPH.

My mph seems awful as got a 105 mph on my new GTECH doing a run out by airport. And got a 13.4 that run with think a 2.0 60ft? on street tires.
Figured with the drag tires had on at track should have got like a 1.8 60ft although do have stock converter and only 3.23 gears.
Best got was 2.30 60ft . Pretty dreadful .
Track did seem very hard to get traction on. Had fun though was good to be back racing been like 5 or more years since last went and made some runs .

Also want to start up local Club. Have put up facebook page for it and its called Okanagan F body club. So if any of you guys are interested contact me.

Maybe for start can start going to the Wednesday show and shines at Mccurdy.
and then maybe can do some other get togethers as well.

Quick Reply: More BC Kelowna questions