Canadian Members We never leave because we have The Beer Store

Importing a V8 Swapped US Car to Canada

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 12:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Importing a V8 Swapped US Car to Canada

Hey everyone,

Has anyone had experience importing a V8 swapped US car to Canada?

I'm looking to buy a V8 (LSX) swapped RX7 from the US and driving it in Canada but upon doing my research I came across this:

Why is a modified vehicle no longer considered admissible for importation?

Once modified (other than having general repairs or routine maintenance), the vehicle no longer maintains its original factory issued certification. This certification is required for importation into Canada. This also applies to Canadian certified vehicles modified in the United States and returning to Canada. For example:

a motorcycle converted into trike,
a cargo van converted into a camper,
adding a suspension lift kit to a vehicle,
adapting a vehicle for disabled access,
lengthening a vehicle or
re-fitting a vehicle with a different body kit.

Be careful when buying modified vehicles to import into Canada. Make sure the vehicle modifier or final stage manufacturer has established that it complies with Canadian standards. You cannot import the vehicle into Canada without this proof.
Quoted from: http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/motorvehicle...-index-452.htm
I was excited until this...

I can't recall if I've seen or heard of any engine swapped cars from the States in Canada, but I'm sure there are. Anyone care to chime in?
Old 09-05-2014, 01:50 AM
TECH Resident

they never check your car so it doent matter only drl at canadiantires
Old 09-05-2014, 10:45 AM
TECH Resident

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Its older than 15 years,so RIV inspection not needed at CTC.I would be more concerned about it passing your OOP inspection,as for the border guards as long as it is not excessively loud or lowered,they won't give it a second glance but you never know when you will get the total asshat in the booth.
Old 09-05-2014, 05:21 PM
12 Second Club

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

If its done well enough they probably won't even be able to tell.

Its not a camper,lifted,modified for disabled,lengthened or fitted with a body kit so according to what I read it passes
Old 09-05-2014, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by tfi racing
Its older than 15 years,so RIV inspection not needed at CTC.I would be more concerned about it passing your OOP inspection,as for the border guards as long as it is not excessively loud or lowered,they won't give it a second glance but you never know when you will get the total asshat in the booth.
Ok so I'd have to first get it across the border, then have another OOP inspection before I can insure and drive it on Canadian roads?

The car isn't excessively loud but it sounds like a muscle car. You know the brap brap brap type of thing.

I'm trying to figure out the process so I don't end up buying a fully functional car that I can't drive. That would be a waste of money...all of my money lol
Old 09-05-2014, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by tsench
they never check your car so it doent matter only drl at canadiantires
Hey I noticed you are from Texas and moving to Canada, and the car I'm considering is from Texas...moving to Canada! Actually not yet...

So this is a concern of mine: I tell them it's an RX7 and they may ask if there are mods done to it.

If I say yes, they may tell me no to bringing it over
If I say no, and they find out, it's no to bringing it over for sure
If they don't ask and I don't tell but they find out, it may be a no to bringing it over
If they don't ask and I don't tell and they don't check, then it may be a yes

This is such a hassle!
Old 09-06-2014, 10:25 PM
Launching!

I have brought a few vehicles from across the border, only 1 time they asked to look under the hood, just basically to see if there was a engine in it, never asked fro any of them to start it up. In your case if they asked you to start it up and it's noisy, tell them it has one of those stupid fart can mufflers and that will be the first thing you are changing.
Old 09-07-2014, 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by Stormed_Norm
I have brought a few vehicles from across the border, only 1 time they asked to look under the hood, just basically to see if there was a engine in it, never asked fro any of them to start it up. In your case if they asked you to start it up and it's noisy, tell them it has one of those stupid fart can mufflers and that will be the first thing you are changing.
Haha! I think I will say that.

Yeah I've emailed them to see if having mods on a 15 year old car will be fine.
They did state that any car over 15 years is exempt from an RIV inspection, which may be the worst part of the process. The next part seems to be just paying taxes and duties, and then having the car get Canadian safety mods (daytime running lights etc).
Old 09-07-2014, 08:29 AM
Launching!

as for the daytime running lights, that does not have to be headlights. It can be marker lights. Just run a relay from a ignition on to the marker lights. Your going to pay duty on the car because it was originally made in Japan. Good luck with it.
Old 09-11-2014, 10:18 PM

as for the daytime running lights, that does not have to be headlights. It can be marker lights. Just run a relay from a ignition on to the marker lights. Your going to pay duty on the car because it was originally made in Japan. Good luck with it.
Ok cool thanks for the info. Yeah I've been told by someone they paid 22% in taxes and duties...lol

What about having the car shipped over the border by a shipping company?

I called RIV earlier, they said the car would be exempt from an RIV inspection being older than 15 years old. Any mods done 15 years ago also is ok. You would need some proof though.
Old 09-12-2014, 05:45 AM
Launching!

I live in Winnipeg and for 2 of the vehicles I met the driver in Grand Forks North Dakota ( about 2 hours away,1 hour into North Dakota). Just found it a lot cheaper than having them bring it across the border. So I am my own broker and I did the paper work,. The Canadian border people were very helpful. They said on average they get about 20 cars a day.
Old 09-12-2014, 06:14 PM

I live in Winnipeg and for 2 of the vehicles I met the driver in Grand Forks North Dakota ( about 2 hours away,1 hour into North Dakota). Just found it a lot cheaper than having them bring it across the border. So I am my own broker and I did the paper work,. The Canadian border people were very helpful. They said on average they get about 20 cars a day.
Ok so in your experience, is it possible to have all the paper work done except for ownership transfer before the car is brought across the border? I'm trying not to buy a car without knowing if it is admissible.

So far I figured an rx7 being 15 years older is fine. It's the inspection that I'm afraid of especially if there are mods done. A v8 does and can sound aggressive. This is one of the cars I've been considering:

It's in Texas, so I don't have the luxury of driving it to the border and back if it gets rejected. I'm in BC.

If all the paperwork can be completed stating the car is admissible, then the owner and I can work out the ownership transfer and transaction after. Then I can just drive across the border and get the DRL, emissions test etc. thereafter. This is such a hassle but I simply don't have time to build one. I just want a turn key.
Old 09-13-2014, 12:40 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ceekay
Hey I noticed you are from Texas and moving to Canada, and the car I'm considering is from Texas...moving to Canada! Actually not yet...

So this is a concern of mine: I tell them it's an RX7 and they may ask if there are mods done to it.

If I say yes, they may tell me no to bringing it over
If I say no, and they find out, it's no to bringing it over for sure
If they don't ask and I don't tell but they find out, it may be a no to bringing it over
If they don't ask and I don't tell and they don't check, then it may be a yes

This is such a hassle!
i moved here ontario about 3 years ago bought my car with me cross border no problem car ls1 cam head true dual with flowmaster single chamber dump before axle loud as **** plus also have bottle of nitrous hook up if i remembered i have 3/4 left of nitrous left when i was at the booth i just told them im import my car to canada they told me go inside the building and do some paperwork plus paying tax after i remember a lady walk out side and take a look at my car just a walk around done drive back to mississauga register on RIV 1 day later run down to CTC get my inspection drl plus seat belt on the back done emission and safety both fail under the table passed :-D now new emission sick pass all day long
Old 09-13-2014, 10:27 PM
Launching!

The border ( customs) shouldn't be a problem. You have to take it to Canadian Tire to get the R.I.V inspection done. If there is a problem, it might be there. When I brought my Typhoon across the border, the only thing customs wondered is why it was cheaper ( purchased price) than what the black/blue/red book said it was worth. No guarantees when dealing with anybody from/for the gov't.
Old 09-17-2014, 12:52 PM

LOL tsench!

Alright thanks guys. Appreciate the help!

Quick Reply: Importing a V8 Swapped US Car to Canada