Canadian Members We never leave because we have The Beer Store

experiences ordering from summit between provinces

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 09:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Question experiences ordering from summit between provinces

Hey guys I'm super confused with the summitracing shipping estimator. My province of MB charges 13% tax on items once they cross the U.S. border into Canada and for Alberta people for example, it's supposed to be 5%. However on the summitracing shipping estimator, the duty/tax portion is the same amount whether you say your address is in Alberta or Manitoba. The government of Canada tax/duty estimator obviously doesn't agree with that but goes along the expected provincial tax difference corresponding to what you type as your address.

I called summitracing 2 different times, once giving an Alberta address and the other time giving a Manitoban address. Same tax and the associate claims "you shouldn't be charged anything extra than what we are telling you now, as far as I know."

Has anyone gotten any EXTRA charges once their item is shipped to their door that's different than the telephone or online estimated price???
Old 03-26-2015, 10:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unless they are shipping by US post then you will be charged a brokerage fee by UPS or Fedex.
Old 03-26-2015, 10:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Oh I remember that brokerage fee garbage from the past with UPS but does FedEx also have one of their own? ..I don't remember if they also have a charge of their own in addition to the amount that's listed in the order breakdown.
Old 03-27-2015, 03:41 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yup FedEx does have an additional charge of their own, I ordered some stuff from jegs and also summit... got dinged once the order arrived.
Old 03-27-2015, 07:46 PM
Teching In

Always try to get items shipped US postal, not UPS or Fedex or you will get hit with extra charges you dont have to pay for.
Even better if you can pick up at a border crossing at US side and declare it and pay tax at border.
Old 03-27-2015, 11:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks guys ya I'll resort to my original plan of using Mike's parcel just 5 minutes south of the border
Old 03-29-2015, 01:57 AM
Launching!

Depending on the value, sometimes you will not be charge. I have received items with no taxes and then there has been times I have paid taxes. Never really figured it out. Stupid gov't.
Old 03-29-2015, 10:57 AM
Teching In

UPS is the only one charge additional to taxes, that is they call brokerage fee at least 30 bucks apart from other taxes, always avoid UPS, I prefer USPS int'l priority mail so you get tracking info, however major vendors in US prefer UPS and refuse to send you thru USPS some do though.

If you want to avoid any taxes, than shipper had to list them under 60 bucks and i had once a vendor shipped me header kit and listed them as testing new diesel exhaust pipes for $50....i paid nothin.......pretty smart vendor.
Old 03-29-2015, 03:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

From the sounds of it, it seems like a hit and miss as one of my local friends claims he has ordered thousands of dollars worth of parts through summit racing and never paid anything extra when using FedEx than what was listed as the total in U.S. dollars. Then some of you guys said with FedEx you still got extra charges. It's super tempting to just have it shipped to my door as honestly when you do the math on the estimates, it seems great BUT I don't want to get extra surprises plus be sleeping when the FedEx guy shows up. I'll just have it shipped to a U.S. address and pick it up
Old 03-29-2015, 10:37 PM
Teching In

Oh fedex guy never ask money at the time of delivery. They send you statement to your home later in a week or two.
Usps priority is ultimate....if they ship.
Old 03-30-2015, 05:05 PM
Teching In

Never paid extra with stuff from summit. All costs tax and duty up front.
Old 03-30-2015, 07:56 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Fedex made me pay extra gst at the door once when it was supposed to be all included, phoned summit and they credited me the money back.
Old 03-31-2015, 12:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Turbo D
Fedex made me pay extra gst at the door once when it was supposed to be all included, phoned summit and they credited me the money back.
That is pretty sweet how you got credited, glad to see things work in the end how they were supposed to
Old 03-31-2015, 01:00 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Ya it was only $20 but they didn't even ask for proof, but i order a ton from them

Quick Reply: experiences ordering from summit between provinces