Canadian Members We never leave because we have The Beer Store

To my fellow Canucks who order from Summit Racing - duty question

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2016, 12:54 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To my fellow Canucks who order from Summit Racing - duty question

I ordered a part from Summit Racing.
During the order process, they charged extra for tax (understandable) and duty.

It was shipped from Kenora, Ontario according to Fed Ex.
Am I missing something here?

I have ordered a lot of stuff from the USA and never have really looked into the duty end of things because it originated in the states.

But if it is shipped from Canada should I be paying duty? I wrote their customer service about it and crickets...no response.
Old 07-12-2016, 01:47 PM
On The Tree

Did you try calling them vs emailing? Also since Summit is based in the US is might be required since they are an American company.
Old 07-12-2016, 02:40 PM
12 Second Club

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

What did you order?...... Pulp and paper
Old 07-12-2016, 03:38 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by transamtom
What did you order?...... Pulp and paper
I had to Google that to "get it". I am from Alberta, lol

I looked at my order again and it appears to originate in Mississauga.
Maybe it was shipped from the USA to Mississauga and that is where the tracking began but any time I have ordered via Fed Ex in the USA it shows the state it was shipped from.

I know they are a reputable company and am sure there is an explanation for it. Not a big deal it was only a few bucks...

Old 07-13-2016, 12:15 PM
Staging Lane

I wonder if it was drop shipped from the manufacturer in Ont...I believe that is common with Racetronix out of Ont. I am sure there is some regulation built to screw us into paying duty....
Old 07-13-2016, 03:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is no duty, there is a "brokerage fee" which is what UPS and FEDEX charge to bring the package across the border. If you can order from smaller firms who will ship US post they don't charge the fee. I try hard to stay away from Summit and Jegs because they will not ship US post. The last item that I got was $35 and then $42 brokerage fee.
Old 07-13-2016, 04:18 PM
Staging Lane

They charged me Tax and Duty.
They never did respond to my email regarding this.
As I said, only a few bucks but had I ordered an engine or something and it was shipped from Canada the extra cost for "duty" would be substantial.

The only other thing I could think of is that they shipped a warehouse full of parts from the USA to Canada and had to pay duty and are passing it along. Or maybe I am missing something a little more obvious.

Old 07-13-2016, 04:20 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

According to customs rules anything which doesn't qualify under NAFTA (is not made in the USA or Mexico with required content) and is not accompanied by a NAFTA form is subject to duties as defined in the customs tariff schedule. Most often they are MFN. Costly brokerage fees apply to ground services with couriers such as UPS and Fed Ex.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/trade-com.../menu-eng.html

Shipments valued over $20.00 CDN are subject to brokerage clearance.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/onli...imus-1.3656603

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/onli...axes-1.3647965

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/duty...rica-1.3467632

Manufacturer / Distributor of Automotive Fuel Systems, Components & Electronics

Please support a Racetronix dealer near you for personalized service.

>WEB SITE<
Old 07-13-2016, 04:30 PM
Staging Lane

Racetronix, thanks for the links and information.
This is where it gets murky as I don't know where my part was made. It isn't on the packaging.
It could be from Canada, it could be from China. Only Summit knows, I suppose.

But it was shipped from Mississauga, that I do know. I was thinking when they charged me Tax and Duty it was coming from the USA.
Old 07-13-2016, 04:53 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by deebee
Racetronix, thanks for the links and information.
This is where it gets murky as I don't know where my part was made. It isn't on the packaging.
It could be from Canada, it could be from China. Only Summit knows, I suppose.

But it was shipped from Mississauga, that I do know. I was thinking when they charged me Tax and Duty it was coming from the USA.
It could be shipping from a bonded warehouse which allows product to reside in Canada yet technically still be in US domain until it is released. Depending on the country of origin duties may apply. HST is charged on the converted Canadian value AND the duty. Conversion is based on the Bank of Canada's daily exchange rate.

http://www.bankofcanada.ca/rates/exchange/

Manufacturer / Distributor of Automotive Fuel Systems, Components & Electronics

Please support a Racetronix dealer near you for personalized service.

>WEB SITE<
Old 07-15-2016, 01:33 AM
TECH Resident

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

It's just a term that Summit uses.If you do the math it works out to be the equivalent of HST on your purchase,since you are in Alberta you may be getting jobbed on the PST portion of the "tax and duty" charge.Whatever,as long as it continues to be substantially cheaper than what the Canadian rapists charge for parts(ie,$235 control arm at Lordco vs $75 USD at Summit or Rock Auto),I'll accept it.
Old 07-16-2016, 08:00 AM
ctd
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

deedee, I just ordered & rx'd a set of tall Holley LS valve covers. I believe the retail US price is $200.00. Trying to find them in Red & in Canada as with most LS performance item's is challenging. I was quoted on average 300-350 cdn & they would order them.

Generally I order from the US directly & plan for 50% higher than the quoted US price factoring all the stab & gouge costs. Jegs & Summit are trying to make it easier for us, more than once I've found especially taxes are doubled up. They have always made good when called, just painful.

What I really wanted to mention is I order them from lightspeed in Red Deer & they quoted $265.00cdn. I had them in a week, very fair in my mind.

My last few shipment's from USPS that arrive Canada Post have had all the extra charges that normally were missed in the past.
Old 07-19-2016, 09:45 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks guys for the input and explanations. Lots of things I didn't know and I have ordered a lot from the USA. Nice to have some solid info on it.

ctd, I will contact Lightspeed next time I need something. If the price is comparable it is only a few hour drive for me to go there...better than dealing with Canada Post or Fedex. Fedex not so bad, but Canada Post - holy. It is always a gamble with them if things will show up on time, or show up at all. They lose so much of our mail it is staggering.
Old 07-19-2016, 04:20 PM
On The Tree

They lose so much of our mail it is staggering.

So do you use the excuse "it got lost in the mail" a lot?
Old 07-21-2016, 08:45 AM
12 Second Club

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks guys for the input and explanations. Lots of things I didn't know and I have ordered a lot from the USA. Nice to have some solid info on it.

ctd, I will contact Lightspeed next time I need something. If the price is comparable it is only a few hour drive for me to go there...better than dealing with Canada Post or Fedex. Fedex not so bad, but Canada Post - holy. It is always a gamble with them if things will show up on time, or show up at all. They lose so much of our mail it is staggering.
I have never had that happen(lost in the mail)

If I am not home it goes to the Postal Substation at Shoppers Drug Mart about a mile away.

I did have them break a taillight I shipped but they covered it under insurance.
Old 07-21-2016, 12:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 170 Likes on 118 Posts

I'm from the Cold Lake area, what are you driving in deebee?
Old 07-21-2016, 12:50 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 67Lark
So do you use the excuse "it got lost in the mail" a lot?
When Canada Post delivers packages to us they never actually try to deliver them. They just take them to the nearest Shoppers Drug Mart and we have to go pick it up. At times the packages arrive days late. Like they sit in the back of a truck for 3-4 days.

And we definitely lose a lot of snail mail. Constantly people saying "I sent that to you a few weeks ago" and it never arrives. So either someone is stealing our mail (doubtful) or Canada Post is just losing it (more likely). I filed a complaint with them - nothing was done.
Old 07-21-2016, 01:02 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by NW-99SS
I'm from the Cold Lake area, what are you driving in deebee?
Just bought a 1996 Z28 a few months ago. I sold my 2002 SS last year to buy a Corvette but my g/f decided "after" I sold it she didn't want one anymore. I wasn't too happy about that. My SS only had about 65 000km on it and was pewter. It was a nice stock Alberta car and looked new and smelled new. It was near flawless.

So I was looking for a low KM local 4th gen for several months and found a good one in Jasper. They are hard to find now stock and from Alberta. It's my 5th 4th gen F-body. I keep getting sucked in by these cars.

Quick Reply: To my fellow Canucks who order from Summit Racing - duty question